Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Ask Keith - Bill Wyman's Bass Playing
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 26, 2016 03:03

corriecas
black n blue
His eyes looked strange

I bet you look like a supermodel.
jeroen
Thank you dear
Ole bum rush jagger!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 26, 2016 03:27

Keith's had that glazed look in his eyes for a while now, I actually found it pretty scary from up close at the Trabendo...

Anyway, nice words yes, but talk is cheap, when you see how Bill was pretty much ignored at the O2...Mick and Keith have burnt out so many people over the years that they just seem "disconnected".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 26, 2016 04:26

I think Keith looks fine.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 26, 2016 19:24

Gimme Shelter isolated bass

Nothing special of course, anybody could be playing this but Im pretty sure this aint Bill. Sounds more like a typical demo-bass by Keith. And this is of course not an example of Bill Wymans excellent playing. If it is him and I really doubt it - it's a obviously just a random take they kept because it somehow fits the ranch sound of the open E rhythm tremolo guitar.

My theory: Keith recorded all those guitars and of course he didn't phone Bill in the middle of it - he just added a bass because that's what you wanna do when recording guitars and thats what you can do if you are the guitarist and don't have a bass player or just don't want to wait around for him. Or don't like his/hers company. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-26 19:29 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 26, 2016 20:07

Not Keith on bass, the official credits are correct.
Listen at 1:45 to GS for several bars and it's acrobatic and beautiful. It's the anchor and the lift, a deep part of the magic creation.

gimme shelter
[www.youtube.com]

stray cat blues
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 26, 2016 23:59

Redhotcarpet
Gimme Shelter isolated bass

Nothing special of course, anybody could be playing this but Im pretty sure this aint Bill.

No way, this is so classic Bill. Only he would stay on the root note over the three chords in the intro (around 0:30).

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 27, 2016 03:43

Really generous comments.
Nice to see Keith praising his old band mate.

Date: October 27, 2016 04:23

Bill on those early albums - all the way...hm, well up to "Beggars Banquet". Maybe even LIB is superb. The way Bass was recorded beginning in 70's changed. Bass in 60's was no compromise.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 27, 2016 04:23

gotdablouse
Keith's had that glazed look in his eyes for a while now, I actually found it pretty scary from up close at the Trabendo...

Anyway, nice words yes, but talk is cheap, when you see how Bill was pretty much ignored at the O2...Mick and Keith have burnt out so many people over the years that they just seem "disconnected".
No, his eyes looked abnormally dull to me. He usually gets a sparkle in his eye when he's smiling, but his eyes were extremely sleepy and dead. I noticed it right away, as did others.

Maybe he had just smoked up, but it was unusual to see him like that.

Date: October 27, 2016 12:26

hopkins
Not Keith on bass, the official credits are correct.
Listen at 1:45 to GS for several bars and it's acrobatic and beautiful. It's the anchor and the lift, a deep part of the magic creation.

gimme shelter
[www.youtube.com]

stray cat blues
[www.youtube.com]

Stray cat is Keith on the Fender. I m 100% positive this is Keith on bass.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 28, 2016 16:38

Keith says lots of nice things about people. And it's usually accurate,not just vapid what a great guy so and so is. He criticizes people, too, which makes the praise stand out even more.
Even though he has taken a lot of shots at Mick, for example, he has also said many kind things about Mick as a leader, front man, called him his brother.
I'm curious if Bill has praised Keith? Has he ever said something like, 'Boy, I'll always be grateful that I got to stand up on stage and support Keith and those incredible riffs. And I'm thankful that Mick and Keith wrote all those great songs that I got to contribute to. I wouldn't be where I am today without them.'

Date: October 28, 2016 17:02

wonderboy
Keith says lots of nice things about people. And it's usually accurate,not just vapid what a great guy so and so is. He criticizes people, too, which makes the praise stand out even more.
Even though he has taken a lot of shots at Mick, for example, he has also said many kind things about Mick as a leader, front man, called him his brother.
I'm curious if Bill has praised Keith? Has he ever said something like, 'Boy, I'll always be grateful that I got to stand up on stage and support Keith and those incredible riffs. And I'm thankful that Mick and Keith wrote all those great songs that I got to contribute to. I wouldn't be where I am today without them.'

Keith also has praised Mick repeatedly for being a great harp player.

Bill once said that Keith was the best rhythm guitar player in the world.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: October 28, 2016 17:32

Bill has a style and groove that really made the stones sound. They lucked out asking the guy with the big amp to join who turned out to be awesome.

Date: October 31, 2016 23:30

Hm, maybe it is Bill on GS...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 1, 2016 01:17

Markdog
Bill has a style and groove that really made the stones sound. They lucked out asking the guy with the big amp to join who turned out to be awesome.

We think it's luck, but it appears there's more to it. How could the four Beatles grow up and live within miles of each other? And find each other? No, Bill was just as much fate as Mick and Keith meeting at the train station. Electric bass players, especially fretless bass players, didn't exactly grow on trees in England at that time. Unbelievable how it all came about.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: November 1, 2016 01:31

People talking about keith looking hammered here, there are two keith's, if you study him you see sober keith and drunk Keith, this was drunk Keith but its still keith. If you look carefully you will notice recently when he has been drinking he has blotches on his forehead. Still doing the rock and roll lifestyle in his 70's unbelievable.
The unusual thing about Keith is that no matter how visibly drunk he is, he remains present.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-01 01:52 by keithsman.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 1, 2016 22:48

24FPS
Markdog

We think it's luck, but it appears there's more to it. How could the four Beatles grow up and live within miles of each other? And find each other? No, Bill was just as much fate as Mick and Keith meeting at the train station. Electric bass players, especially fretless bass players, didn't exactly grow on trees in England at that time. Unbelievable how it all came about.

especially fretless bass players, of which there was apparently only one, in England, playing electric fretless..smiling smiley

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 2, 2016 07:34

Keith:: Dick Taylor had left. Stu drifted with us for some reason... (So one day we said to Tony Chapman), Hey, Tony, d'y'know any bass players?
He said, I do know one. Tell him to come to next rehearsal. So we all turned up and in walks... Bill Wyman, ladies and gentleman....
So onto the scene comes Bill... and we can't believe him. He's a real London Ernie, Brylcreamed hair and 11-inch cuffs on his pants and huge blue suede shoes with rubber soles...
He had the bass together already. He'd been playing in rock bands for 3 or 4 years. He's older than us. He knows how to play...."

quoted from timeisonourside

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2469
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home