Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Who should play Desert Trip 2017
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 19, 2016 17:35

The Kinks and Elton John

Rod Stewart and Led Zeppelin

Santana and AC/DC (with Axl)

And before you go again with your "Zeppelin and the Kinks will never reunite"..
this guy out in the Desert seems to have the Midas touch right now.
He reunited Axl Rose and Slash, so anything's possible.

Posted by: Bobbyb98 ()
Date: October 19, 2016 17:42

He tried to get Zeppelin to do it this year... Even offered them double ($14 million) what every other band was getting paid. Page was all over it, but Plant won't do it.

Date: October 19, 2016 17:53

U2

Led Zeppelin

Eric Clapton

Fleetwood Mac

Tom Petty

Stevie Wonder

And yes Zeppelin will be there - Both Page and Plant plus U2 and Fleetwood Mac

attended Desert Trip this year.

The biggest question is to gamble on the 2nd weekend end and wait till the last few days to buy tickets. Worked out this year.

Secure air and lodging. Just wait to buy tickets. Might not play out the same way it played out this year with tickets getting very cheap. Zeppelin and U2 will be in high demand.

Man If I had a crystal ball!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 19, 2016 20:06

Tony Bennett and Little Richard

Leonard Cohen and Jerry Lee Lewis

Aretha Franklin and Chuck Berry

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 19, 2016 22:35

None! It was a very special gig that can't be repeated.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 19, 2016 23:08

Kurt
The Kinks and Elton John

Let me set you guys straight on some stuff here.

First off, it wasn't "this guy out in the Desert" who got Guns and Roses together. The person you speak of is Paul Tolett. He was the organizer of DT, but it was Duff McKagan who brokered the reunion between Slash and Axl. It had more to do with Perla leaving Slash than anything.

GnR Reunion

Secondly, Led Zeppelin was never offered any amount of money to play DT. The source of that information comes from Showbiz411.com columnist Roger Friedman, who was "the first person to break news" of Desert Trip.

Did Led Zeppelin turn down $14m?

There is no "midas touch" going on.

That's the general info that's out there.

The way that this started is that GnR was supposed to be playing Coachella in the spring, and the head of AEG wasn't sure that the band could get it together. Head of global touring at AEG is close with Mick, and he had gotten The Stones to agree to play if GnR could not get it together. GnR came through, so Mick suggested that they do the festival that Paul Tolett had been working on. Roger Waters was the first to sign on for it, then Mick, then the rest.

As far as Led Zeppelin, the top guy at AEG whom I won't name here has said "I will not rest until I put Led Zeppelin back together". But it means nothing, people have been trying to put this together for years, and so far it's happened once. The longer time goes on, the less likely Plant is to do it, because he can't hit the notes.

Date: October 19, 2016 23:18

LED ZEPPELIN will be there.

Save this post

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 19, 2016 23:20

"Have A Nice Desert Trip - The 70's" smiling smiley

ELO
Fleetwood Mac
Steely Dan
Elton John
Santana
Paul Simon

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 20, 2016 00:12

roller99,

I totally respect your post above but...the "general info" on GNR isn't altogether accurate. The GNR article you linked to is mostly just Marc Canter's version.

There was no way in hell Guns N' Roses were going to headline Coachella in the sad touring formation that AXL had been rolling with for the last decade and a half.

It was that original Coachella offer of $$$ that got Axl to reconsider bringing Slash back into the fold. The money that was offered to Axl, Duff AND Slash was huge.

Duff is a great guy and perhaps a "peacemaker" but it was the GOLD that got these guys back onstage together.

Slash needed the cash since Perla took most of his.
Axl needed the fame since Slash took most of his.

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY...MONEY.
MONEY.

Duff was also the one that said "@#$%& Izzy if he thinks he's getting an equal share."

So back to Desert Trip...
I believe that Tolett did have the vision, sure. But he's also got the loot.
The desert will win over Led Zep.
Unless Plant freaks out about Mick's laryngitis.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 20, 2016 04:31

Kurt
roller99,

I totally respect your post above but...the "general info" on GNR isn't altogether accurate. The GNR article you linked to is mostly just Marc Canter's version.

There was no way in hell Guns N' Roses were going to headline Coachella in the sad touring formation that AXL had been rolling with for the last decade and a half.

It was that original Coachella offer of $$$ that got Axl to reconsider bringing Slash back into the fold. The money that was offered to Axl, Duff AND Slash was huge.

Duff is a great guy and perhaps a "peacemaker" but it was the GOLD that got these guys back onstage together.

Slash needed the cash since Perla took most of his.
Axl needed the fame since Slash took most of his.

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY...MONEY.
MONEY.

Duff was also the one that said "@#$%& Izzy if he thinks he's getting an equal share."

So back to Desert Trip...
I believe that Tolett did have the vision, sure. But he's also got the loot.
The desert will win over Led Zep.
Unless Plant freaks out about Mick's laryngitis.

I agree with you in regards to CASH being the motivating factor for GnR, but as far as LZ goes, Plant has issues. They were offered a lot more than $14m when they did the O2 concert, and Plant nixed it. He's got plenty of money and just doesn't have a compelling reason to reunite with Jimmy. He chafed at Jimmy's control of the band for years, in spite of being given songwriting credit, and he partially won't reform the band just to piss him off. He actually called Jimmy the night before the O2 show and threatened not to play Stairway, just to mess with him. The man has issues. And Jimmy? He wants to do nothing BUT play with Robert. He just sits around pining for the old days.

But, if anyone can get them together, it's AEG. They have been behind just about every single Stones decision for years. You'd be amazed at some of the stuff that goes on there.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2016 05:07

Maybe Plant could be enticed if it became some sort of benefit concert where ALL the ZEP proceeds would be donated to a good cause.
They've done it in the past (Live Aid), so they might do it again. What the world needs now is just one more Zep reunion ...please... winking smiley...not holding my breath though.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: October 20, 2016 19:32

ZZ Top. Their beards will act as effective sand filters, thereby reducing health risks (laryngitis etc.).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 20, 2016 19:50

xke38
ZZ Top. Their beards will act as effective sand filters, thereby reducing health risks (laryngitis etc.).

smiling smiley

And they're from Texas, so a little desert heat will be just like home for them.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 20, 2016 20:28

Kurt
The Kinks and Elton John

He is a very persuasive character who has convinced probably dozens of bands across the spectrum to reunite for Coachella.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 20, 2016 20:37

The Zeppelin thing is fascinating on so many levels.
I would love to know exactly how Plant feels about it. He does seem that he moved on a long time ago and is happy with his life and career. He's done better than Page.
The second question is about their audience. They last appeared in the U.S. back in 1977 or thereabouts; those young people who used to see them are now in their 60s; people like me were in high school at the time of their reign and are in our 50s.
Would their audience come out today? Did their audience grow up to have the disposable income to do that? It was kind of a working class audience growing up at a time when well-paying working class jobs became scarce.
A lot of people at that time thought Zep was lowbrow and unsophisticated; would those people come out for an event like this?

Date: October 20, 2016 20:47

wonderboy
I would love to know exactly how Plant feels about it. He does seem that he moved on a long time ago and is happy with his life and career. He's done better than Page.
The second question is about their audience. They last appeared in the U.S. back in 1977 or thereabouts; those young people who used to see them are now in their 60s; people like me were in high school at the time of their reign and are in our 50s.
Would their audience come out today? Did their audience grow up to have the disposable income to do that? It was kind of a working class audience growing up at a time when well-paying working class jobs became scarce.
A lot of people at that time thought Zep was lowbrow and unsophisticated; would those people come out for an event like this?
for

The demand for led zeppelin in 2007 was massive. It would be the same, if they reunited one more time.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 21, 2016 07:32

wonderboy

Zep, the group that did Stairway to Heaven, was considered lowbrow and unsophisticated? That song regularly gets voted as best rock and roll song ever in the States. There would be great interest in a reunion.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: October 21, 2016 10:07

Didn't Tinariwen open for the boys at Slane Castle in 07? Seems like it was them or someone similar. I quite enjoyed them.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 21, 2016 17:42

wonderboy

It would be beyond 2007's demand, which was beyond anything in the history of music. They'd need to do a week's worth of shows to meet the demand.

It's not going to happen. It won't happen. 2007 was it.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 21, 2016 18:38

> It's not going to happen. It won't happen. 2007 was it. <

I totally agree....The Zep is done. IMO reading through people's lists and thinking up my own, I can't come up with six viable acts anywhere near the stature and drawing power of what we saw this year at Desert trip. I don't think a DT II can be successfully pulled off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-21 18:51 by Woz.

Date: October 21, 2016 23:32

Woz
> It's not going to happen. It won't happen. 2007 was it. <

I totally agree....The Zep is done. IMO reading through people's lists and thinking up my own, I can't come up with six viable acts anywhere near the stature and drawing power of what we saw this year at Desert trip. I don't think a DT II can be successfully pulled off.

Happening - Page and Plant where at Desert Trip 1

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 21, 2016 23:38

Oasis
Spice Girls
Take That!

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 21, 2016 23:41

The Worst.
yeababyyea
HMS
Deep Purple maybe

Maybe? Deep Purple are arguably the biggest influence on any hard rock or metal band the last 40 years!

They're actually still great with their original drummer and bassist unlike the other bands who played at Desert Trip, and Steve Morse is worth seeing by himself.

I agree that Deep Purple is "arguably the biggest influence of any hard rock or metal band the last 40 years", but they're nothing without Richie Blackmore. He was the true soul and creative force of the band. Deep Purple without Richie Blackmore is just like The Rolling Stones without Keith Richards. Steve Morse is probably a nice guy, but a very boring guitarist compared with Blackmore.
Plus Ian Gillan can't sing anymore. Deep Purple USED to be one of the greatest bands of all time. But they are completely outdated and boring these days.

While you have a point I think you exaggerate the state of affairs.
I saw Deep Purple this summer and they still gave a very respectable show. It's easy to forget how miserable Richie was his last years in Deep Purple, often his solos were just a sloppy blur of notes thrown together and he really didn't write any new good songs.

Steve Morse on the other hand is a much more technically skilled guitarist than Richie ever was, and Steve has given Purple a new fresher sound, like it or not. For me it was definitively a highlight standing just a few meters from Steve Morse's rig seeing him bursting out some brilliant solos this summer. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-21 23:42 by yeababyyea.

Date: October 22, 2016 00:31

GasLightStreet
wonderboy

It would be beyond 2007's demand, which was beyond anything in the history of music. They'd need to do a week's worth of shows to meet the demand.

It's not going to happen. It won't happen. 2007 was it.

A week!! - They could sell out for a whole year in O2 London or MSG.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-22 00:32 by mtaylor.

Date: October 22, 2016 00:33

yeababyyea
The Worst.
yeababyyea
HMS
Deep Purple maybe

Maybe? Deep Purple are arguably the biggest influence on any hard rock or metal band the last 40 years!

They're actually still great with their original drummer and bassist unlike the other bands who played at Desert Trip, and Steve Morse is worth seeing by himself.

I agree that Deep Purple is "arguably the biggest influence of any hard rock or metal band the last 40 years", but they're nothing without Richie Blackmore. He was the true soul and creative force of the band. Deep Purple without Richie Blackmore is just like The Rolling Stones without Keith Richards. Steve Morse is probably a nice guy, but a very boring guitarist compared with Blackmore.
Plus Ian Gillan can't sing anymore. Deep Purple USED to be one of the greatest bands of all time. But they are completely outdated and boring these days.

While you have a point I think you exaggerate the state of affairs.
I saw Deep Purple this summer and they still gave a very respectable show. It's easy to forget how miserable Richie was his last years in Deep Purple, often his solos were just a sloppy blur of notes thrown together and he really didn't write any new good songs.

Steve Morse on the other hand is a much more technically skilled guitarist than Richie ever was, and Steve has given Purple a new fresher sound, like it or not. For me it was definitively a highlight standing just a few meters from Steve Morse's rig seeing him bursting out some brilliant solos this summer. thumbs up

Without Jon Lord and Richie Blackmore, it is not worth it. Gillan is mediocre nowadays - old age voice!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 22, 2016 00:59

DaveG
Hairball
DaveG
The Sicilian
DaveG
The Kinks
Zeppelin
Santana
Allman Brothers

I'll second that and add:

The Dead & Company
Van Morrison
Yes
AC/DC

I agree, I was just going to add Van Morrison.
What about Winwood/Clapton?

But the Allman Brothers are no more.
Zeppelin is no more.
Kinks no more.
And AC/DC....not much left anymore.
The Dead and Company maybe - but it would turn into a congregation of deadheads like the old days(not necessarily a bad thing if that's your thing)
Van Morrison decent choice, but he is more suited to theaters or small arenas.

Santana would be a nice choice, especially since they've recently reunited their classic lineup.
Winwood/Clapton could be good, just as their tour was a few years ago.

Yes, but I was thinking that each of those groups could perform in some form, with a couple of the principals involved. But, in some cases, old scores would need to be settled.
Maybe John Fogerty as well.
Sly and the Family Stone?
Aretha Franklin?

John Fogerty is a hard head. I don't know if Sly is still in the closet but that sounds interesting.
How about Lee Michaels and Donovan? Maybe Lee could bring along a food truck from the restaurant.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 22, 2016 20:47

Most of the acts mentioned above couldn't draw more that 10,000 people

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 23, 2016 00:13

There are many Acts out there who could easily fill the Desert.
Of the slightly less older brigade, U2, Madonna, Elton John and Springsteen and Rod Stewart come to mind.
Of the young Turks, Taylor Swift, Beyonce and Adele.

Heck, Phil Collins has just sold out a 5 night residency at London's Royal Albert Hall.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: October 23, 2016 00:33

Friday - Jimi Hendrix & The Eagles

Saturday - Prince & Michael Jackson

Sunday - John Lennon & Elvis Presley

That's the only way I could think of how to top this year's show

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2551
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home