Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Don Was Confirms ‘Crude, Authentic’ Blues Album
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 30, 2016 20:05

i said they would never do a blues cover album because Keith said he wouldn't do one for a solo record.
i went back and looked on the "ask Keith" section of his website and he said something like "i can't be furay lewis or robert johnson and there are other cats out there who do that stuff really well,it's only a part of what i do"

i wonder what changed his mind?maybe because it was the stones,i don't know.if we're lucky they won't use the clapton stuff because the guys a walking cliche`and they'll throw a couple of rockers on there-then we got us a good old fashioned authentic rolling stones album.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 30, 2016 20:17

Might be spontaneous, might be desperation (as in, 'We don't have anything else ready to go') but whatever, I am looking forward to it. At this point, at their ages, it could be their swan songs.
I see Mick as being more into the blues than Keith, being a blues singer at the very start, and Keith actually having more of an affinity for country music (but it's hard to get Mick to sing country straight.) But then I think c/w is a richer form of music than r/b.

Date: September 30, 2016 20:21

frenki09
Elmo Lewis
If it is truly a raw blues album, I think it will be great.

But..... here are a few things that could mess it up:

1. Clapton playing more than Keith and Ronnie.

2. Don overproducing it.

3. If it is a "return to blues" in name only ala Rod's last 10 "I'm getting back to mandolins and acoustics" albums.

Also, I'd love a couple of (bluesy) originals with the standards.

I just can't stand anything he has done (Dylan, Nelson, Black Crowes etc), and I was hoping they would get someone new for this album who could get the boys out of their comfort zone, not to do something new, but to do something that is less bombastic. Bigger Bang is the worst Stones album. Overproduced, in-your-face, very loud and full, weak songs that feel like outtakes...

There was a time when Jack White's name was quite often mentioned as a possible producer... That would have been interesting...

Unfortunately Don Was is still not past tense.

A Bigger Bang was more under-produced than over-produced. Unfortunately, it didn't sound that well, imo.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 30, 2016 20:30

Maybe they could call it "spontaneous desperation" wonderboy,ha ha

yeah, the image is Keith being more the blues guy,even though Rocky Dijon pretty much dropped a hand grenade on that notion in his post on page one.

The only thing i don't like about this is that we're going into our 12th year of no new Jagger/Richards.like alot of people i wanted to think maybe they'd gotten closer again late in life but it's not looking good.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 30, 2016 20:31

Elmo Lewis

2. Don overproducing it.

3. If it is a "return to blues" in name only ala Rod's last 10 "I'm getting back to mandolins and acoustics" albums.
Also, Charlie's stiff drumming could ruin it.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: September 30, 2016 21:23

The heyday of the British bloooze was decades ago. I cannot see the over 70 Stones pulling this one off. But it is new product and since it is blues this album will not be compared to the Stones past output which has been 95% rock and pop since 1966 or so.
Hope fans are happy with it, I dunno.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 30, 2016 21:40

A guess (educated or otherwise) would be that releasing the blues album six months before an album of new material is a marketing decision. That way you can spin the new material as the product of the band returning to their roots and reconnecting to their past. That works better than releasing a pricey 2-disc set that won't sell huge numbers anyway or offering the blues disc as an iTunes exclusive and run the risk of people saying they prefer the old blues songs to an album of new material. This marketing plan lets both releases stand alone and support one another independently as part of the prepackaged story "we got back together for the 50th anniversary and after playing live for four years, went back to our roots did this record and then look at what amazing new material resulted once the band was on fire." [Never mind the fact that most of the songs will have been written and demoed with Matt Clifford six years before they were released and that the rest of the band just added overdubs. And in fairness, yes, Keith did some demos with Steve Jordan earlier this year as well.]

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 30, 2016 21:55

Rocky Dijon
A guess (educated or otherwise) would be that releasing the blues album six months before an album of new material is a marketing decision. That way you can spin the new material as the product of the band returning to their roots and reconnecting to their past. That works better than releasing a pricey 2-disc set that won't sell huge numbers anyway or offering the blues disc as an iTunes exclusive and run the risk of people saying they prefer the old blues songs to an album of new material. This marketing plan lets both releases stand alone and support one another independently as part of the prepackaged story "we got back together for the 50th anniversary and after playing live for four years, went back to our roots did this record and then look at what amazing new material resulted once the band was on fire." [Never mind the fact that most of the songs will have been written and demoed with Matt Clifford six years before they were released and that the rest of the band just added overdubs. And in fairness, yes, Keith did some demos with Steve Jordan earlier this year as well.]

sad smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 30, 2016 21:58

mr_dja
jumpontopofmebaby
The band in a circle playing the blues in a studio with Eric "slow hand " Clapton sitting in on a few songs. Then throw in Mick on the harmonica.

Nothing could screw this up....this will be as good as it gets.

And what I have waiting for ..for a long long time.

Agreed. Not only am I looking forward to this but I'm already hoping for the expanded version to be released with a dvd of the sessions. I mean, the album is going to have +/- 12-15 tunes on it. Yet they supposedly recorded over the course of three days. How many other tunes did they play? How many alternate versions of the same tunes? Yeah, sign me up for the expanded version, outtakes and bootlegs of those three days. I'd put that right up there with any recordings of the jam sessions that Keith organized with Bill back in 2012 ('11?) on my list of Holy Grail recordings.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Man, talk about ADD…lol. Two things:
*They cut 11 songs
*Clapton plays on two cuts

Date: September 30, 2016 21:59

lem motlow
i said they would never do a blues cover album because Keith said he wouldn't do one for a solo record.
i went back and looked on the "ask Keith" section of his website and he said something like "i can't be furay lewis or robert johnson and there are other cats out there who do that stuff really well,it's only a part of what i do"

i wonder what changed his mind?maybe because it was the stones,i don't know.if we're lucky they won't use the clapton stuff because the guys a walking cliche`and they'll throw a couple of rockers on there-then we got us a good old fashioned authentic rolling stones album.

11 cuts total
Clapton plays on 2 cuts

Date: September 30, 2016 22:00

lem motlow
Maybe they could call it "spontaneous desperation" wonderboy,ha ha

yeah, the image is Keith being more the blues guy,even though Rocky Dijon pretty much dropped a hand grenade on that notion in his post on page one.

The only thing i don't like about this is that we're going into our 12th year of no new Jagger/Richards.like alot of people i wanted to think maybe they'd gotten closer again late in life but it's not looking good.

New album next year

Date: September 30, 2016 22:01

Boognish
Elmo Lewis

2. Don overproducing it.

Also, Charlie's stiff drumming could ruin it.

Yeah, Charlie Watts sucks

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 30, 2016 22:06

"Authentic"? How authentic can a bunch of billionaire limeys singing the blues be? Have they even ever seen a cotton field?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 30, 2016 22:08

How it's possible to complain without hearing...................

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2016 22:10

Correct Nicos ......... They do every time ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: September 30, 2016 22:15

Rockman

Correct Nicos ......... They do every time ....

Maybe the Stones just shouldn't bother?

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: September 30, 2016 22:16

Stoneage
"Authentic"? How authentic can a bunch of billionaire limeys singing the blues be? Have they even ever seen a cotton field?

A winks as good as a nudge….

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 30, 2016 22:26

The Stones going back to their roots and playing the blues sounds great in concept.

What a way to keep it real...what could be more authentic than that?

How could it go wrong?

Then I keep seeing that little harmonica keychain packaged with the special limited edition of Honkin' on Bobo.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 30, 2016 22:26

It seems they took the advice I posted here. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-01 05:32 by Bliss.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 30, 2016 23:25

Stoneage
"Authentic"? How authentic can a bunch...

Well Was called the album authentic cause during recording the snare bled into Mick's mike... >grinning smiley<
Was should find a new way to blow the band's trumpet. His "current" (1994-now) PR style's getting old.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: October 1, 2016 00:11

Can't wait!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 1, 2016 00:13

So did anybody find the interview with Don Was on the Le Figaro site? Or was it only in the members' section ? Or an exclusive in the dead tree edition?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 1, 2016 00:58

Hopes are high for this one! Looking forward to seeing the track list. I assume
the blues album is still scheduled for early December release? Maybe a song or two in the set of the, only a week away, minni tour!!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 1, 2016 01:07

Why not original blues?! They are still able to do great stuff...if they want!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 1, 2016 01:15

Whale

So did anybody find the interview with Don Was on the Le Figaro site?

Should be this one: [www.lefigaro.fr] .

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: October 1, 2016 07:03

DandelionPowderman
frenki09
Elmo Lewis

2. Don overproducing it.

Also, I'd love a couple of (bluesy) originals with the standards.

I just can't stand anything he has done (Dylan, Nelson, Black Crowes etc), and I was hoping they would get someone new for this album who could get the boys out of their comfort zone, not to do something new, but to do something that is less bombastic. Bigger Bang is the worst Stones album. Overproduced, in-your-face, very loud and full, weak songs that feel like outtakes...

There was a time when Jack White's name was quite often mentioned as a possible producer... That would have been interesting...

Unfortunately Don Was is still not past tense.

A Bigger Bang was more under-produced than over-produced. Unfortunately, it didn't sound that well, imo.

Well... I think Was had no idea what to do with those songs, which seemed to go nowhere. Under-producing outtake-sounding songs, that have a few sparks, but then go nowhere?! He didn't know how to make songs work, just manipulated with the volumes.

"I like Don and David, but let's face it, neither one of them knew anything about American folk music, or gut level arrangements that come out of the world of simplicity."

That's a quote from Bob Dylan who for sure will never ever work with Don again. (Under The Red Sky had amazing songs, classics, but still they didn't work. And Dylan didn't come out with original material for 7 years.)

The Stones are stuck in a corner just like Dylan was before coming out with Time Out Of Mind. He knew he needed a producer who would FIGHT with him, and Lanois and Dylan drove each other nuts durig the sessions. And the result was a classic that gave new life to Dylan.

I think people see too much into the Stones being OLD. Age means nothing when it comes to producing meaningful, fresh sounding music. Okay... so Keef's playing is limited (last time his playing sounded truly BIG was during the Steel Wheels tour), and Brenda now sings like he is doing it for that bag full of candies and lollipops that you are holding in your hands... Comfort zone, that's the problem. I am sure the rest of the band would be willing to take a risk with a different producer, but probably Brenda is the tough one to convince...

A blues album of cover songs? I loved Cook Cook Blues and Fancy Man Blues and stuff like that. Why not an album of original blues songs? Do you get crazy when you hear 'Honest I Do' that was an outtake from Stripped, I believe? Because that's the kinda stuff we are gonna be getting... Nowadays everyone's doing these cover (or duets) albums... Not a very original idea, and it sounds like they play it safe, but I am sure it would still be more enjoyable than another Bigger Bang. And it's gonna be way better than a duets album...

Date: October 1, 2016 07:37

UNDER THE RED SKY has some great material (Born in Time is the best), but a lot of absolute crap songs (Wiggle Wiggle, Handy Dandy) and mediocre songs (Cat's in the Well, TV Talkin' Song). I know it's fashionable for Stones fans to blame Don Was as much as Chuck Leavell for what they don't like in latterday albums or concerts, but if the songs aren't up to scratch, the clearest mix in the world won't salvage the results.

Date: October 1, 2016 08:03

As for Mick being the tough one to sell on taking a risk with a new producer, that's highly unlikely. Look at the facts.

An outside producer wasn't essential until CBS made it a contractual requirement. Don Was talks about Keith lecturing him his first day in the studio on why the Stones don't need a producer. Good luck convincing Virgin Records of that, Keith.

Going back to CBS days, Mick wanted Bill Laswell to produce DIRTY WORK but agreed to Steve Lillywhite (Keith's choice). Mick and Keith argued about who would produce STEEL WHEELS (Keith wanted Steve Jordan). They compromised and went back to Chris Kimsey.

Mick has taken a risk and worked with Rick Rubin and Marti Fredericksen on his solo albums. You may not like them as producers, but Mick will stretch out. Likewise, it was Mick who told Keith if they were to shelve their solo albums and do BRIDGES TO BABYLON, Keith had to agree to outside producers. Mick was critical of both Don Was and Rick Rubin preferring to evoke the past with their productions. BRIDGES was experimental.

Along with Marti Fredericksen, Mick worked with Chris Potter, Danny Saber, Lenny Kravitz, and Wyclef Jean on his last solo album. Since then Dave Stewart, Ashley Beadle, and Jimmy Iovine have produced Mick's solo sessions. Mick prefers taking chances with new producers.

So why only Don Was for the Stones for 23 years? Simple. It's always a struggle between Mick and Keith. Mick's guy won't be acccepted by Keith (ask Babyface or The Dust Brothers) and Keith's guy isn't what Mick wants (ask Steve Jordan or Rob Fraboni), so they need compromise and someone who has worked with them before is the safe solution.

Don Was has walked away saying never again, but he comes back. Does he say stuff he doesn't mean praising the material? Of course, do you want him to say "it's the best they're willing to do and you'll probably dislike it."

Does everything he produce sound the same? No, all his sessions with the Stones have unique character. You wouldn't confuse VOODOO LOUNGE, BRIDGES TO BABYLON, FOUR NEW LICKS, A BIGGER BANG, the reworked 1970s outtakes, or the two new tracks on GRR, or even the STRIPPED studio tracks for one another.

You may not love the results. Blame Jagger and Richards. Was is an employee for hire doing the best he can. They'll never have another Jimmmy Miller. They surround themselves with yes-men. Look at Rick Rubin who went through hell with Jagger and decided the result was only 80% successful. These guys are too old to be challenged by a producer. Cary Grant reached a point where he considered himself director-proof. So did Bing Crosby. The Stones are producer-proof. They know what they're doing, work around them if you're the producer.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 1, 2016 08:33

So there were actually several different microphones...

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 1, 2016 08:55

Stoneage

Just listen to the music and forget all these promo-fanfares...

I have a feeling that we're in for a treat.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home