Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Black Sabbath: The End
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 31, 2016 19:25

Anyone seen them on their farewell tour, or the "13" tour they did a couple years ago? I'm going tonight.

Re: OT: Black Sabbath: The End
Posted by: basti ()
Date: August 31, 2016 19:30

oh yes, in January in Cologne, Germany

Posted by: basti ()
Date: August 31, 2016 19:31

can you make picture from the merchindising stand please

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 31, 2016 19:37

tatters
Anyone seen them on their farewell tour, or the "13" tour they did a couple years ago? I'm going tonight.

great show. enjoy

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 31, 2016 20:24

I saw them Saturday night in CT. Amazing show...Iommi and Butler were on fire.

Ozzy..well he sounded great...TOO great. Methinks they're using some serious trickery to pipe vocals into the PA. He lip-synced very convincingly but there's no way he sounds that good. I've seen too many horrific videos of him barely able to sing.

But still...great finale and a sad end to a monumental era. I wish Tony Iommi long life and happiness.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 31, 2016 21:42

Maybe this guy is back in the tent...

Inside the Strange, Hidden World of Offstage Backing Vocals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-31 21:43 by Kurt.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 1, 2016 03:36

I saw Sabbath in Virginia last week. Paid $20 to sit on the lawn. Great show, all but two songs were from the first three albums.

The singalong on War Pigs was surreal, a little different from YCAGWYW or Hungry Heart.

I didn't think Ozzy's vocals were tweaked in any way. He was a bit out of tune much of the time. But it didn't matter. Geezer, Iommi, the drummer, and young Wakeman totally brung it!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-01 03:41 by ab.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: September 1, 2016 04:18

Kurt
Maybe this guy is back in the tent...

Inside the Strange, Hidden World of Offstage Backing Vocals

good article,
although I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then...

I remember one time Tom Scholz of Boston saying at the end of a show something like...
"Every sound you heard tonight was played by someone you see on this stage"

I looked over at my friend and said "what does that mean?"
I thought "of course it was"... but nah, it turns out there is tons of "live" fake crap....

I respect that Mick has his 3 back up singers right out there and gives them credit.
Tuggle thinks so to... Gene Simmons? not so much...

Tuggle- "" looks back on the Roth years as easily one of his best jobs ever (the scads of backstage super-babes on the Eat 'em and Smile trek didn’t hurt).""

""Tuggle never did any other offstage gigs, though. “It’s like being the field goal kicker, you know? It worked out good for me, but I always sort of felt like some of these guys that were playing offstage, they should be up there. If The Rolling Stones can put their keyboard players onstage, why can’t you put your guy up there?""

"Gene Simmons was not into it," he says with a laugh. "He didn’t want that guy up there.” No, Gene Simmons did not, as Gary Corbett can tell you with a good-natured laugh. Corbett did offstage keyboards and background vocals on Kiss tours promoting late-'80s and early-'90s...
""... more>> [www.laweekly.com]

TL/DR Stones rule, Gene Simmons sucks, Sharon neutered Ozzy and there were a lot of backstage-super-babes at DLR shows

Date: September 1, 2016 05:00

ab
I saw Sabbath in Virginia last week. Paid $20 to sit on the lawn. Great show, all but two songs were from the first three albums.

The singalong on War Pigs was surreal, a little different from YCAGWYW or Hungry Heart.

I didn't think Ozzy's vocals were tweaked in any way. He was a bit out of tune much of the time. But it didn't matter. Geezer, Iommi, the drummer, and young Wakeman totally brung it!
I don't know...I've seen videos where he could literally not stay in tune. Absolutely painful to listen to, with the rest of the band having to down-tune to compensate.

And then Saturday night, he sounded fantastic. Not perfect, but not embarrassing either. Perhaps they're doing some real-time auto-tuning or blending his live vocals with a backing track.

All I know is it was a great show and I'm sad that it's the last time I'll see Geezer and Tony onstage again. Those two are absolute KINGS.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 1, 2016 11:14

I am pretty sure Ozzy is live. Saw Sabbath from second row in June. He sounds way better than on the last tour, but far from perfect. The show is very enjoyable nevertheless. No way they are "blending" live vocals with pre-recorded stuff, mixing out of tune stuff with stuff on tune would be an utter mess. Also if they were using auto-tune, Ozzy would be in tune all the time, which he is clearly not. When you are there you can clearly see and hear that he is not lip-synching. He just sings better this time than on the last tour. Not only that, he is waaay more animated. During the 13 tour he was leaning on the mic stand all the time and it looked like he might as well fall if it wasnt for the mic stand. He seems to be in a way better shape now both physicaly and vocally. So yeah, if you go to see them, expect Ozzy to give a decent performance, being out of tune here and there, but not the way the youtube videos from the 13 tour suggest. Geezer and Tonny are absolutely amazing and are more than a good reason to still go to see Sabbath.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 1, 2016 14:34

I saw them with only orginal member: Tony Iommi in 1990. The late great Cozy Powell was on drums.

And a 2nd time in orginal lineup with Bill Ward on drums in 2005. That concert was one of the ultimate best hard rock concerts of my life. Absolute killer.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 1, 2016 15:03

I saw BS once in 1990 when Tony Martin was their singer. It was a very good show, all the hits from the Ozzy/Dio-years plus a couple of then new songs from Headless Cross (very good and powerful album). Imo, Ozzy isn´t the best singer they ever had. In fact Tony Martin was better than Dio and Dio was way better than Ozzy. But I have to admit only Ozzy can do the Ozzy-songs right. On the other hand BS have a lot of great songs recorded with other vocalists and unfortunately they can´t play them because Ozzy of course is only doing Ozzy-songs...

Date: September 1, 2016 17:32

Two words: Tommy Clufetos. While it would have been very cool to see all 4 members of the original and classic 1970s lineup, there is simply no way that 68-year-old Bill Ward could have played the way Tommy played last night. Not much else to say, really. Had pretty good seats, about 75 feet from the stage, directly in front of Geezer. Setlist, as has been mentioned, was a little top-heavy, with 12 of the 14 songs coming from the first 3 albums (including 6 from Paranoid), but other than "Sweet Leaf" I can't think of anything they didn't do that I would have liked to have heard. Opening act Rival Sons held my interest for 5 or 6 songs, then I got bored and wandered, beer in hand, around the sold-out outdoor venue, looking at everybody's t-shirts (I had the one Robert Downey Jr. wears in the Avengers movie). All in all, a phenomenal night. If you'd told me 40 years ago that I'd be jumping around and "throwing horns" at a Black Sabbath concert when I'm 57 years old I'd have thought you were nuts.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-01 17:37 by tatters.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 1, 2016 18:43

Good on ya, tatters!
cool smiley

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: September 1, 2016 22:20

Nobody was, nobody is and nobody will be better than Ronnie James Dio.

Bye
Fernando

Date: September 1, 2016 23:04

tatters
Two words: Tommy Clufetos. While it would have been very cool to see all 4 members of the original and classic 1970s lineup, there is simply no way that 68-year-old Bill Ward could have played the way Tommy played last night. Not much else to say, really. Had pretty good seats, about 75 feet from the stage, directly in front of Geezer. Setlist, as has been mentioned, was a little top-heavy, with 12 of the 14 songs coming from the first 3 albums (including 6 from Paranoid), but other than "Sweet Leaf" I can't think of anything they didn't do that I would have liked to have heard. Opening act Rival Sons held my interest for 5 or 6 songs, then I got bored and wandered, beer in hand, around the sold-out outdoor venue, looking at everybody's t-shirts (I had the one Robert Downey Jr. wears in the Avengers movie). All in all, a phenomenal night. If you'd told me 40 years ago that I'd be jumping around and "throwing horns" at a Black Sabbath concert when I'm 57 years old I'd have thought you were nuts.

i know a sing they don't do everyone wants to hear, "sabbath bloody sabbath". ozzy can no longer sing the song. also "the wizard" would be nice again

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 1, 2016 23:35

I SAW IT in suburban Detroit last winter and again last night. Tony and Geezer are spectacular. The shows I saw Ozzie was on a short leash and singing almost perfectly while keeping his antics to a minimum. I have heard tapes from THE END TOUR where this was not the case however. The effects, video and lighting are fabulous. They have chosen to go out on a high note (and I do mean high).

Don't miss it.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: September 1, 2016 23:38

Tommy Clufetos didn't used to look like he does in this tour.

THey've had him grow his hair and mustache, put a headband, wifebeater t-shirt and gold medallion on him and, OLA!, he looks like Bill Ward circa 1975!

Date: September 2, 2016 02:44

tatters
Clufetos is a fantastic drummer. I've seen him with Ozzy solo and Rob Zombie, and he's done Sabbath proud.

Last time I saw Ward was at Ozzfests 2004 and 2005, and while I felt privileged to see the original four, he was starting to drag quite a bit on many songs.

Date: September 2, 2016 02:47

HMS
I saw BS once in 1990 when Tony Martin was their singer. It was a very good show, all the hits from the Ozzy/Dio-years plus a couple of then new songs from Headless Cross (very good and powerful album). Imo, Ozzy isn´t the best singer they ever had. In fact Tony Martin was better than Dio and Dio was way better than Ozzy. But I have to admit only Ozzy can do the Ozzy-songs right. On the other hand BS have a lot of great songs recorded with other vocalists and unfortunately they can´t play them because Ozzy of course is only doing Ozzy-songs...
Tony Martin is a very underrated singer who sang on some great and sadly-forgotten Sabbath albums, but Dio is the KING. C'mon...this isn't even up for debate.

Ozzy's singing is ridiculously basic and one-dimensional, but that eerie, otherworldly quality to his pitch makes him stand out.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: September 2, 2016 04:13

ab

I was at this show as well,was it me or was the show really short almost like they couldnt wait to get out of there.Maybe they were worried about post show traffic which is HORRIBLE leaving this venue LOL

Date: September 2, 2016 04:25

I saw Black Sabbath back in 78 when Van Halen opened for them and I look at that as the last gasp of them as the real deal. We went to the Black and Blue tour 2 years later when Dio was singing and my ears still feel the damage from that double bill show. It was loudest concert I have even been to. It was ridiculous.

the 78 show was spectacular. We were 2nd row center and didn't know a lot about Van Halen but that might have been the best most impressive opening act I have ever seen. They came out and I remember think WOW!!! THESE GUYS KICK ASS!! And I didnt know any of their songs, but they kicked ass. I can still see them on stage.

Then Sabbath came out and played all the great songs and they were great. I feel lucky to have seen that show. After that... it was over.

I have no interest in this money grab tour. Ozzy lost me when he did that stupid TV show and from what I have seen of his non-singing ability these days there is no reason for me to see this tour. I saw the real deal back in 78... that is all I need. I am happy. No need to mess up the average.

Date: September 2, 2016 05:28

jambay
I saw Black Sabbath back in 78 when Van Halen opened for them and I look at that as the last gasp of them as the real deal. We went to the Black and Blue tour 2 years later when Dio was singing and my ears still feel the damage from that double bill show. It was loudest concert I have even been to. It was ridiculous.

the 78 show was spectacular. We were 2nd row center and didn't know a lot about Van Halen but that might have been the best most impressive opening act I have ever seen. They came out and I remember think WOW!!! THESE GUYS KICK ASS!! And I didnt know any of their songs, but they kicked ass. I can still see them on stage.

Then Sabbath came out and played all the great songs and they were great. I feel lucky to have seen that show. After that... it was over.

I have no interest in this money grab tour. Ozzy lost me when he did that stupid TV show and from what I have seen of his non-singing ability these days there is no reason for me to see this tour. I saw the real deal back in 78... that is all I need. I am happy. No need to mess up the average.
Well I was BORN in 1978, so unfortunately this is my chance to see them. I realize that they're past their prime like most every classic act from the '60s and '70s, but it's still one last time to be in the presence of royalty.

Date: September 2, 2016 06:41

keefriff99
jambay

Well I was BORN in 1978, so unfortunately this is my chance to see them. I realize that they're past their prime like most every classic act from the '60s and '70s, but it's still one last time to be in the presence of royalty.

I should have said it...
I have no interest in the show but more power to anyone going, have a great time smiling smiley

Date: September 2, 2016 23:40

jaggerman
ab

I was at this show as well,was it me or was the show really short almost like they couldnt wait to get out of there.Maybe they were worried about post show traffic which is HORRIBLE leaving this venue LOL

They played the same set they've been playing for months: 14 songs (12 from 1st 3 albums) in about 100 minutes.

Jiffy Lube Live usually isn't bad, until the show ends and you have to go. It takes about an hour to get out of the parking lots. Unlike other local sheds, there's no nearby alternative to those lots. So you just have to plan for a miserable exit experience.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 3, 2016 04:26

keefriff99
tatters
Clufetos is a fantastic drummer. I've seen him with Ozzy solo and Rob Zombie, and he's done Sabbath proud.

Last time I saw Ward was at Ozzfests 2004 and 2005, and while I felt privileged to see the original four, he was starting to drag quite a bit on many songs.

Saw a Youtube video from LA. This drummer has such a unique style of raising his hands above his head and pounding down on the drums non stop. I don't how he maintains that method without any pain show after show. It is a sight to see.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 3, 2016 04:28

Is Black Sabbath in the RnR Hall of Fame?

Date: September 3, 2016 04:31

Inducted in 2006

Date: September 3, 2016 18:22

The Sicilian
keefriff99
tatters

Saw a Youtube video from LA. This drummer has such a unique style of raising his hands above his head and pounding down on the drums non stop. I don't how he maintains that method without any pain show after show. It is a sight to see.
Actually I find that quirk of him raising his sticks over his head after every downbeat a bit annoying at first, but I got over it because he's really a fantastic player.

Clufetos is a vegetarian, doesn't drink or do drugs, and is a fitness fanatic, and it certainly shows.

Date: February 4, 2017 14:49

Any last thoughts as the band prepares to play their final concert in just a few hours from now?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home