Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Cream At MSG: Tickets $500.00-$3500.00????
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 29, 2005 05:03

Just got a call from my stepson who told me this. I think the boy must be on drugs. An entire generation of Clapton fans who got turned onto him by "Tears In Heaven" couldn't care lesss about Cream, certainly not enought to pay 10 to 20 times the cost of a typical Clapton concert ticket. And Eric, who only plays one or two Cream songs per concert, hasen't done much to propogate the Cream legend among his younger fans.

Anyway, is this true? Is Cream going to play a single outrageously overpriced concert at MSG in lieu of doing a tour?

Re: OT: Cream At MSG: Tickets $500.00-$3500.00????
Posted by: spikey ()
Date: August 29, 2005 05:13

Supposedly it is going to be three shows. Since nothing is official, there is no way of knowing just what the range of ticket prices will be.

Date: August 29, 2005 05:19

Do you think they will only play MSG or do a full tour? I'm sure there's sufficient interest to sell out a couple of night at the Garden, but what about in the rest of the country? Would there be any more interest in Cream concerts than there would be in any typical Clapton solo tour? I'm not sure there would be, not enough to justify sky-high prices at any rate.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 29, 2005 05:22

months ago i read in the papers a cream tour for the U.S.,,,,so keep your fingers crossed

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 29, 2005 05:24

I think the $3000 figure is a brokers price

If they are playing a show in an arena where the cheapest ticket is $500, they should be taken out to 8th Avenue and shot like dogs...

and no, I havent heard anything about US shows other than Madison Square Garden

Date: August 29, 2005 05:32

I smell a rat. They're going to play a game of "What do we have to do to make the most money for the least amount of work?" That's why I'm skeptical of any reports about them doing a full-scale tour. Physically, I just don't think Jack and Ginger are up to it and I don't think demand in places other than NY and Calif. would be all that great. The YOUNGEST people who saw Cream's last tour are now in their mid-50s. It's VERY hard to get these @#$%& off the couch and out to a concert. And younger people have no idea who Jack and Ginger are.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 29, 2005 05:51

Did anybody here see the London shows? What do they do? "Toad"?
I like Ginger's post-Cream work quite a bit, he sure has been all over the proverbial map. Air Force was so ambitious & doomed, but still sounds very cool on the GB "Do What You Like" comp - & he was recording w/ Fela around the same time, later stints w/ P.I.L. & collaborations w/ Laswell, a return to jazz. Bruce & Eric started w/ promising careers post breakup, but Ginger's is the most interesting last 25 years.

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: August 29, 2005 06:08

Initially I thought it would be great but since then I've grown skeptical of what motivates these shows or a tour for that matter. I mean do these guys REALLY care about Cream? Are they in the studio working on new material? After a 35 or so year break we're a band again? huh?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Date: August 29, 2005 06:19

I think Eric's offical PR sound bite is that Jack's liver transplant and the fact that Ginger is 66 years old woke him up to the fact that a Cream reunion is a "now or never" proposition and, as a Cream fan himself, he just wanted to hear them live one more time. He may also have a genuine humanitarian interest in helping his old friends out with their medical bills, but his way of helping is to have US pay those bills and it's going to cost us an arm and a leg.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 29, 2005 06:24

Must be a very expensive operation in that case, going by those prices

Where's Jack going for his liver transplant? The Moon?

Date: August 29, 2005 06:29

I loved Cream, I just wish the reasons for the reunion were purely artistic ones, but, you can't have everything. I wish them well and would certainly not turn down a chance to see them live now.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 29, 2005 07:54

Give Eric a break...I'm sure his cost of living in Columbus, OH are killing him. You should see him squirm at Home Depot.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 29, 2005 10:48

Didn't the tickets in the UK cost 150 pounds? As tickets are generally twice as expensive in the US than in Europe, $500 for Cream at MSG would be a good bet to me.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: August 29, 2005 14:56

The tickets for the London shows were something like £50, £75, and £125. Or maybe the middle one was £90. Whatever, the most expensive were £125 for the arena floor section and surrounding 'stalls'.

I read in a quality magazine, mojo, uncut etc (can't remember) that it is pretty much confirmed that they are doing three shows at MSG in October. But no other plans.

I don't know alot about them, but isn't their a venue on the west coast - SF or LA that is quite legendary with cream? The Filmore??
If so then they should do three shows over there as well.
I really don't think there will be a full tour. At the most just 3 shows at the same venue in 1,2 or 3 markets? Tokyo ? West coast USA ?
This keeps it easy for the band and crew to maximise profit and do it the easy way, whilst making lots of money. Just one show at MSG (based on 20,000 capacity - is this right?) with an average ticket price of $200 would gross them $4 million (IN ONE SHOW!!) in ticket sales alone, without merchandise. Very tidy!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Re: OT: Cream At MSG: Tickets $460.00-$3395.00
Date: August 29, 2005 19:13

The prices my stepson gave me were brokers prices, but if the brokers prices are in the Macca-Stones range, then the face value will be, too. (They are already taking orders for MSG Oct. 24, 25, 26.)

Type in "Cream" at Ticketmaster and you get a "Check Back Soon". They have them listed as "Music: Dance, Electronica" which just goes to show you, a lot of people will have no clue.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 29, 2005 19:24

I paid £125 (top face price) for a ticket in London (and £12.50 to see Jack Bruce and Mick Taylor, among others, at Astoria!)

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 29, 2005 21:00

> Did anybody here see the London shows? What do they do? "Toad"?

Yes, they did Toad as last regular song before encore "Sunshine Of Your Love". Met Mick Taylor again and got his autograph on my Cream pass - what the hack.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: August 29, 2005 21:27

Heard part of a boot from a London's show.
Around 20 songs played in a 3-5 minuts format (no extended version).
Jack Bruce has lost his strength in this voice.
The sound was not very good too so i didn't buy.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: August 29, 2005 22:42

No gigs have been announced, but the rumours are for 24/25/26th October at Madison Square Garden.

Yes, the Albert Hall tickets were £125 for the top price.

All three can still play....and they don't need another 5 people on stage like another 60's band I could think of! Plus all the original members are still there....

<meeeeeooww>

Lee

P.S. If anyone seriously wants more info, check out the message board on cream2005.com

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 30, 2005 00:35

Well, glad to hear Cream still can rock the Stones off the stage.

Posted by: notontelevision ()
Date: August 30, 2005 02:04

that $500 to $3500 price range is what people are trying to get on stubhub posting tickets they do not even have yet.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: August 30, 2005 02:31

I saw Cream's last night at the Royal Albert Hall and paid £125.00 for a mediocre stalls ticket. I am 37 (I have seen tons of gigs over a 24 year period) and was never a huge Cream fan but could not resist the temptation of seeing them perform one last time (seems this isn't the case now) and my optimism proved well rewarded.

The band were fantastic, apparently the first couple of nights were a bit ragged but no amount of rehearsing can blow the cobwebs off a 35 year hiatus!!!! By the Friday night and the last gig of the series they were firing on all cylinders and lost the crowd in sonic magic. The only downside was that the sound mix was not quite right or maybe it is a difficult venue to get a good, heavy blues-rock sound out of?

Check out the forthcoming Live DVD, which I think is of that last night in its entirety, if you wanna know if they are worth seeing live and worth paying the hefty amount of money they will probably continue to charge.

I would say, if you can afford it and have the opportunity don't miss them.

SD

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 30, 2005 08:55

> Heard part of a boot from a London's show.
> Around 20 songs played in a 3-5 minuts format (no extended version).
> Jack Bruce has lost his strength in this voice.
> The sound was not very good too so i didn't buy.

There are exec. boots of all shows you don't have to pay for. If you really care to judge from a bad boot just wait for the official double DVD which will be released in October.

Date: August 30, 2005 11:06

I only have one question, did they play LOUD as hell?

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: August 30, 2005 14:21

Nah, it was kinda subdued compared to what I have heard they were like in days of yore. It wasn't quiet by any stretch of the imagination but not exactly Motorhead dB levels either.... ;-)

SD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home