Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The show Roadies account of how Skynard blew the Stones off the Knebwoth Stage? Is it true?
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: August 17, 2016 20:00

moody smileyNot sure if anyone has caught Showtime series "Roadies" a drama/comedy of mediocre results.

Anyways, Sundays show revolved around beloved old roadie Phil recounting how Skynard BLEW away the Stones at Knebworth in great detail. The show seemed to revel in stocking it to the Stones.

My question is, Is this accurate? I have heard the Stones portion of Knebworth and it was always a beloved bootleg for me. I thought the Stones had a good night. I love LS and they have certain highlights in their later live shows when all those guitars are humming. But they aren't a 25 song 2.5 hour band if you know what I mean. Ronnie vs. Mick, not even close ever.

Re: The show Roadies account of how Skynard blew the Stones off the Knebwoth Stage? Is it true?
Date: August 17, 2016 20:03

Skynyrd's drummer probably told his roadie, who was to drunk to remember...

On a serious note, a search on IORR will lead you to many threads about this..

Re: The show Roadies account of how Skynard blew the Stones off the Knebwoth Stage? Is it true?
Date: August 17, 2016 20:05

Thanks,

I have seen it touched on before and don't want to clog up the board but it was somewhat shocking to see this new show repeating this story albeit in a comedic dramatic series that seems to like jabbing the Stones a bit.

Date: August 17, 2016 20:10

timmyj3
Thanks,

I have seen it touched on before and don't want to clog up the board but it was somewhat shocking to see this new show repeating this story albeit in a comedic dramatic series that seems to like jabbing the Stones a bit.

A myth becomes a legend smiling smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 17, 2016 20:15

[iorr.org]

[iorr.org]

[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 17, 2016 20:20

Reality check...

If you go to see 2 bands perform, and they both were performing at their best, and you were into one band more than the other, of course you would say that "your" band blew away the other....just saying

I discounted that assessment by Phil, but still enjoyed the tribute the show gave to LS.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 17, 2016 20:21

Not true

Date: August 17, 2016 20:21

bluzdude

Do you like the show?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 17, 2016 20:36

cant imagine the Stones would be blown off any stage by any band

but Skynyrd was very good live..

grinning smiley

Date: August 17, 2016 20:42

While we know this subject has come up before on the boards. What do you think about a big time TV show furthering this myth? Roadies likes to mix in rock lore with the made up day to day of a touring group.

As a Stones fan it got under my skin a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 21:03 by timmyj3.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 17, 2016 20:45

Okay so does it count when people say that Skynard smoked the Stones if i was smoked at many Stones concerts ?

Date: August 17, 2016 20:45

timmyj3
bluzdude

Do you like the show?

Pretty much, its light and not really the way things are in that world, in large part...but the subject matter keeps me watching.

I would have rather seen Vinyl been given a second season.

Date: August 17, 2016 20:50

I like it when its funny and light.

I cringe a bit when they try to get real like the Stones/Skynard debate.

Date: August 17, 2016 20:55

My first experience with LS was in 1973(?) when they opened for the Who. Back then I had no attention span for opening acts whose music I was not too familiar with, but I became a fan that night almost instantly

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: August 17, 2016 22:29

DandelionPowderman
timmyj3
Thanks,

A myth becomes a legend smiling smiley

100% this. And for the record I was there.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 22, 2016 00:24

Forty years ago today.
[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: August 22, 2016 00:30

Not true..and I was there

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 22, 2016 00:40

... So was John Paul Getty III, without his ear. The guys in Skynyrd freaked out when he showed them.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 22, 2016 00:54

Mars bars and blood changes ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 23, 2016 02:56

it's not possible to blow someone off the stage when hours have gone by between bands.didn't another band even play between Skynyrd and the Stones?

even AC/DC played way before the Stones and i think another band played between them as well.these bands may have had a stronger set that night but it doesn't come close to the criteria of blowing someone off the stage.

it's simple, band A plays-
they switch to the next band and half an hour or so later band B plays.

i saw Alvin Lee do this to the Bachman Turner Overdrive-it looked like one of those early Tyson fights.
now i don't know how many people remember Alvin Lee but that fckn dude could flat out play,and he torched the place.

poor BTO-they came out about 20 minutes later to the loudest boos i've ever heard,just ruthless. and chants of bring back Alvin Lee,you suck,you suck,you suck!! and then people started walking out.
i left but i was leaving anyway,i just wanted to see the Alvin Lee band.i walked out during the first song and there was maybe,and i mean maybe half the audience left.the crowd was streaming out the exits-

that's getting blown off the stage.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: August 23, 2016 03:37

lem motlow
it's not possible to blow someone off the stage when hours have gone by between bands.didn't another band even play between Skynyrd and the Stones?

10CC ... You're right. Skynyrd blew those guys off the stage, which someone's granny could have done - though Skynyrd was on fire and buried them. The Stones came on in what seemed like a different lifetime.

Posted by: mkbbci ()
Date: August 23, 2016 04:19

I truly believe that there is no way skynrd blew the stones off the stage.i,m sure Ronnie van zant and the boys did a very good job that night.but I have the stones cd from that long knebworth set they did.mick and the guys sounded absolutely fabuluos.i just wanted to put my 2 cents in about my favorite band by a country mile.lol

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 24, 2016 14:47

Skynyrd were fantastic at Knebworth...as they always were.

The Stones were the Stones . 'Nuff said.

[I was at knebworth and have seen Skynyrd a number of times over the years...big fan.
The Stones however are different entity altogether ]

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: August 24, 2016 14:57

Spud
Skynyrd were fantastic at Knebworth...as they always were.

The Stones were the Stones . 'Nuff said.

[I was at knebworth and have seen Skynyrd a number of times over the years...big fan.
The Stones however are different entity altogether ]

thumbs up I think that about sums up the whole Stones versus Skynard at knebworth debate smileys with beer

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: August 24, 2016 18:53

BluzDude
timmyj3
bluzdude

Do you like the show?

Pretty much, its light and not really the way things are in that world, in large part...but the subject matter keeps me watching.

I would have rather seen Vinyl been given a second season.

agree with this 100%
loved Vinyl, so much more accurate to it's world than Roadies has been.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 24, 2016 18:59

Skynyrd - Crossroads 1976

Date: August 24, 2016 19:00

lem motlow

i saw Alvin Lee do this to the Bachman Turner Overdrive-it looked like one of those early Tyson fights.
now i don't know how many people remember Alvin Lee but that fckn dude could flat out play,and he torched the place.

poor BTO-they came out about 20 minutes later to the loudest boos i've ever heard,just ruthless. and chants of bring back Alvin Lee,you suck,you suck,you suck!! and then people started walking out.
i left but i was leaving anyway,i just wanted to see the Alvin Lee band.i walked out during the first song and there was maybe,and i mean maybe half the audience left.the crowd was streaming out the exits-

that's getting blown off the stage.

Agree.

I saw a similar situation.
A sold out concert featuring:
Spooky Tooth
Robin Trower
Golden Earing

Crowd was warm to Golden Earing, Really got into Trower - but by the time Spooky Tooth was on their 3rd song, there was maybe 200 people left in the Santa Monica Civic which held somewhere between 2700 and 3000.

At least the crowd didn't boo, they were a little more respectable - they just got up and left.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: August 25, 2016 05:25

Skynyrd were like a bunch of bill wymans up there.......boring.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: August 25, 2016 10:23

Skynyrd came on stage at noon, the Stones at midnight!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 25, 2016 11:53

riccardo99
Skynyrd came on stage at noon, the Stones at midnight!

...by which time half of us were almost dead on our feet....but did they wake us up ! smiling bouncing smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home