Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT - The Tragically Hip
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 26, 2017 17:00

crholmstrom
watched "long time running" last night.

Yeah, I watched it too - or it was on in the background while I was doing some work. Never really listened to them, so I am not familiair with their music.

And not trying to be disrespectful, but was the voice of the singer affected by his disease?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 26, 2017 18:14

Koen, Gordie has always been quirky live. To put it mildly. It took me a while to warm up to it, as much as I have always loved the studio stuff. Check out some of the YouTube links of videos of the studio recordings on the prev page.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 26, 2017 18:30

SomeTorontoGirl
Koen, Gordie has always been quirky live. To put it mildly. It took me a while to warm up to it, as much as I have always loved the studio stuff. Check out some of the YouTube links of videos of the studio recordings on the prev page.

the rumour back in the day was that he ingested mushrooms prior to every show. that can bring out the quirky, haha.

Date: November 26, 2017 18:45

Mushrooms?!?! I’m embarassed to say, I only recently learned what he meant, in Bobcaygeon, when he sang ‘...coulda been the Willie Nelson...’ I live such a sheltered life! winking smiley

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: November 26, 2017 19:05

Well I never knew that about the Willie Nelson reference being about the wacky baccy, ya learn something every day. Thanks STG.

Date: December 5, 2017 23:57

shattered
Thanks STG. I asked the CBC if they would release the last show and was told it is up to the band.

You’re in luck, Shattered. DVD etc being released December 8th.

[www.amazon.ca]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-05 23:58 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Date: December 6, 2017 00:34

SomeTorontoGirl
shattered
Thanks STG. I asked the CBC if they would release the last show and was told it is up to the band.

[www.amazon.ca]

for some reason, i believe the release date is right before christmas in the states.

Date: December 6, 2017 00:42

crholmstrom
SomeTorontoGirl
shattered
for some reason, i believe the release date is right before christmas in the states.

You are likely right. I saw Dec 22nd on one site - that was the date I edited - but Amazon.ca has it for Dec 8th. I’ll just be happy to have it!

Date: December 6, 2017 03:13

SomeTorontoGirl
crholmstrom
SomeTorontoGirl
shattered

You are likely right. I saw Dec 22nd on one site - that was the date I edited - but Amazon.ca has it for Dec 8th. I’ll just be happy to have it!

yes. i have an audio tape of it but it will be nice to have the video. i actually still have it on my dvr. i'm not going to buy the documentary. budgetary considerations. i did watch it & enjoyed it in a sad way. i don't think i would watch it much again. in an associated topic, i read a good interview/article with magaret trudeau at the doctor's office yesterday. quite a story. ronnie department of dirty deeds done dirt cheap. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: December 6, 2017 04:08

crholmstrom
... in an associated topic, i read a good interview/article with magaret trudeau at the doctor's office yesterday. quite a story. ronnie department of dirty deeds done dirt cheap. tongue sticking out smiley

If that was in Vanity Fair, it was a good ‘un. I posted the link on Rockeeee’s thread. I remember those days, nothing quite as wild anymore. grinning smiley

Date: December 6, 2017 10:19

SomeTorontoGirl
crholmstrom
... in an associated topic, i read a good interview/article with magaret trudeau at the doctor's office yesterday. quite a story. ronnie department of dirty deeds done dirt cheap. tongue sticking out smiley

If that was in Vanity Fair, it was a good ‘un. I posted the link on Rockeeee’s thread. I remember those days, nothing quite as wild anymore. grinning smiley

yes, it was in vanity fair. i meant to mention that. thanks for catching my ommission.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: December 6, 2017 18:28

Yea they were very good, saw last show. Sure miss him ,thanks Gord For for all the music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 18:29 by babyblue.

Date: December 22, 2017 21:40

watching the blu-ray that came out today of the last show. excellent! good surround mix. getting in touch with the canadian roots (mom was from there) & getting a little misty as both her & gord are gone. such an underrated band outside of canada & pockets of the states. living in seattle, we got to see them a lot especially in the early days. 1 show they opened for Page/Plant & the Hip blew them away. around when live between us came out. hope we hear more from the surviving members someday soon. i'm so glad gord got to go out on a high note like this. courage indeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-22 21:42 by crholmstrom.

Date: December 22, 2017 22:29

The most touching part of Long Time Running came near the end when Rob Baker said:

I received a letter from a musician, a guy based out of Philadelphia. He followed the band for years and he watched the last concert by himself, he bawled his eyes out. And he said Rock and Roll and bands are like hot air balloons, they go up, and if you’re really lucky you get up into the jet stream and you go really far, and you see a lot, but at the end you’re gonna come crashing down. There’s always a bad end for a band. He said I’ve never seen a band, especially after a 30 year journey, land the balloon safely. They landed the balloon, and it was glorious, and everyone was there to cheer when they landed.

That kinda says it for me. Heartbreaking and glorious at the same time. I know the Stones aren’t likely to go out this way, but it was perfect for The Hip. And for us. Gord was recently named Canada’s Newsmaker of the Year, for the second year in a row. I don’t think a musician has ever had that honour once before. Damn.

Date: December 22, 2017 22:46

i'd forgotten just how powerful the encores were on that show. grace, too is just f'n unbelievable. dare you to make it through the end of that song dry eyed.

TRAGICALLY HIP
Grace, Too Lyrics
He said I'm fabulously rich
C'mon just lets go
She kinda bit her lip
Geez, I don't know
But I can guarantee
There'll be no knock on the door
I'm total pro that's what I'm here for
I come from downtown
Born ready for you
Armed with will and determination
And grace too

The secret rules of engagement
Are hard to endorse
When the appearance of conflict
Meets the appearance of force
But I can guarantee
There'll be no knock on the door
I'm total pro here
That's what I'm here for
I come from downtown
Born ready for you
Armed with skill and its frustration
And grace too

Date: December 22, 2017 22:53

gift shop too!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: December 23, 2017 01:06

SomeTorontoGirl
shattered

[www.amazon.ca]

Happy Holidays STG. Thank you.

Date: December 23, 2017 04:02

shattered
SomeTorontoGirl
shattered

[www.amazon.ca]

Happy holidays to you, Shattered! Did I meet you in Amsterdam? Bit of a blur, that was...

Date: December 23, 2017 19:18

SomeTorontoGirl
shattered
SomeTorontoGirl
shattered

[www.amazon.ca]

Happy holidays to you, Shattered! Did I meet you in Amsterdam? Bit of a blur, that was...

Yep, at the Waterhole. Great times.smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2017 18:39

So...Rolling Stone mag left Gord Downie off their 2017 In Memorium list. A whole country just spent a year and a half saying goodbye, honouring him and mourning him. Idiots.

Date: December 29, 2017 22:10

SomeTorontoGirl
So...Rolling Stone mag left Gord Downie off their 2017 In Memorium list. A whole country just spent a year and a half saying goodbye, honouring him and mourning him. Idiots.

the fans remember him though. that's the important thing. i suspect it will be a very long time, if ever, he's forgotten in canada. there is a lot of fantastic music & bands that did't come out of the US & UK that is criminally overlooked. & stuff that didn't come out of the nyc/la/london access. i mean, husker du & the replacements were both hugely influential. neither 1 is in the rock & roll hall of fame. nine inch nails too. in the meantime, some really marginal stuff is there. this year's list of inductees is really pathetic.

Date: December 30, 2017 21:44

crholmstrom
SomeTorontoGirl

the fans remember him though. that's the important thing. i suspect it will be a very long time, if ever, he's forgotten in canada. there is a lot of fantastic music & bands that did't come out of the US & UK that is criminally overlooked. & stuff that didn't come out of the nyc/la/london access. i mean, husker du & the replacements were both hugely influential. neither 1 is in the rock & roll hall of fame. nine inch nails too. in the meantime, some really marginal stuff is there. this year's list of inductees is really pathetic.

Well said.smiling smiley

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 30, 2017 23:00

I have great memories of cranking the album up to here in my 1982 Honda Civic thinking life don't get any better...

She didn't know about all the lovin...

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1617
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home