Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Leonard Cohen says goodbye to Marianne
Date: August 12, 2016 17:11

camper88
On a slightly different but related tangent . . .

My brother once told my family (and me) about the night he went out with two girls to a party. It was a big party, apparently, lots happening and such.
He was in university at the time, 1967, trying to finish a degree in architecture at the University of Alberta.

Anyways the story goes that he went with these two girls to a party and they left him there to go home with Leonard Cohen. Sure, we all said, two women left him because of Leonard Cohen, likely story. He said, Cohen stayed the night in the women's apartment and in the morning they woke up to hear this song he'd written for and about them: The Sisters of Mercy. (he told us this after the album came out).

Of course we didn't believe my brother. He could tell some tales and this was surely one of them. He swore it was true, for years. Cohen was in town at that time (this was Edmonton, Alberta), and the time was right but the likelihood seemed so small that all of my family members completely discounted my brother's story--had to be complete b.s.

For the longest time, decades, we never believed him. Then, much later, Cohen's Greatest Hits came out. In Cohen's brief note on The Sisters of Mercy he wrote about how he'd written the song after staying the night in an apartment of two women in Edmonton, and how he'd had the song ready for them in the morning when they woke up.

My brother only said, "I told ya."

So I guess as there can be sisters of Mercy there can be brothers of truth.

Ha ha, cool! thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1244
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home