Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: OT: Who's Ready For The Rio Olympics?
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 16, 2016 14:43

Can´t find anything about the Who in this thread, what happened?

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: August 16, 2016 14:46

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:04 by jambay.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 16, 2016 17:01

Phil Good
Stoneage
The US basketball team is to dominating in that sport. The nerve is gone. The gold is already given. Although Argentina actually managed to win the gold in 2004.
And I still remember the classic game in 1972 when the Soviet Union won in the last second of the game!

Stoneage, I agree that it would be a big surprise if the US team would not get the gold.
But I too remember that game you mentioned against the Soviet Union. That was this kind of surprise.
And though I'm not interested in swimming, I noticed that superstar Michael Phelbs
did not win the last race. So ...

Have a nice weekend ya all.

Watching the US men this year has started to get a bit nerve-racking. I understand the concept of keeping the players fresh and rested but, as a result of not practicing, they're really not that good a "team". Yes, they may have the best players in the tournament but it would not surprise me at all if a better team were to rise up and beat them in one of the elimination games.

The women's team on the other hand seems to be a similar machine to those Geno builds at UConn. They're far more of a team than the men appear to be.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 17, 2016 03:28

glad to see murray won the tennis again, thats him done it twice now, no one else has at tennis.

didnt watch any other of the olympics, i dont have to, i just stick my head out the window most weekend nights and watch some of the local muppets running up and down the street as they evade the police, its an all year event but more take part in the summer months.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 17, 2016 03:41

they keep the blood samples frozen for years now so they can look back and see what was going on.

there was a show about an olympic official who said he looked at the stuff from the 80's and he said "just let it go, the past is the past."he couldn't believe what he found.

i wonder if they'll tell us 10 years from now or just let it go..the Russians cleaned up too close to the big event that's for sure,same thing Ben Johnson did in 88.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 17, 2016 03:46

buttons67
glad to see murray won the tennis again, thats him done it twice now, no one else has at tennis.

Though as he pointed out himself, the Williams sisters have four gold medals each.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: August 17, 2016 04:30

mr_dja
Phil Good
Stoneage
The US basketball team is to dominating in that sport. The nerve is gone. The gold is already given. Although Argentina actually managed to win the gold in 2004.
And I still remember the classic game in 1972 when the Soviet Union won in the last second of the game!

Stoneage, I agree that it would be a big surprise if the US team would not get the gold.
But I too remember that game you mentioned against the Soviet Union. That was this kind of surprise.
And though I'm not interested in swimming, I noticed that superstar Michael Phelbs

Watching the US men this year has started to get a bit nerve-racking. I understand the concept of keeping the players fresh and rested but, as a result of not practicing, they're really not that good a "team". Yes, they may have the best players in the tournament but it would not surprise me at all if a better team were to rise up and beat them in one of the elimination games.

The women's team on the other hand seems to be a similar machine to those Geno builds at UConn. They're far more of a team than the men appear to be.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Do any other countries apart from The U.S like basketball? Surely it's a bit of a minority sport?

There are far too many events in The Games....The only sports that should be in The Olympics are sports where an Olympic gold medal is the pinnacle achievement of said sport. If you ask a golfer if he wants to win The British Open or The Olympic gold medal? He's going to choose The Open. Same with a tennis player.... Wimbledon or The Gold? Wimbledon every time! Why is football in The Olympics? Even the biggest football fans in the world, people like me, couldn't give a toss about football in The Olympics. It's a joke...... It's also a joke to allow drug cheats to compete!

Shocking to see the stadium three quarters empty for the athletics!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 17, 2016 05:51

Haven't seen these of Mick and Bianca at the 76 Montreal Olympics before...40 years ago! I wonder if they saw Nadia....or Caitlin

[jplaffont.photoshelter.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 05:59 by stupidguy2.

Date: August 17, 2016 06:20

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:04 by jambay.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 17, 2016 06:22

Matching outfits and they look happy together...nice find, stupidguy2. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-17 06:33 by latebloomer.

Date: August 17, 2016 06:30

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:03 by jambay.

Date: August 17, 2016 07:01

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:03 by jambay.

Date: August 17, 2016 07:54

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:03 by jambay.

Date: August 17, 2016 20:25

jambay
jambay
This midnight women's beach volleyball is awesome.
It could/should be a regular live late night athletic thing to watch.

Understatement, tonight match was one of the most exciting sporting matches
of any kind I have seen... leaving it all on the court.. going for every shot...

That was amazing.

Huge props to the The Brazilian team of Agatha/Barbara for beating Kerri
for the first time in any match in the Olympics and knocking her out of the Gold medal match.

It was an amazing match and the home crowd goes absolutely bonkers at the home team win.

I still love Kerri... she is awesome!!!

I only got to see about half of the match but agree it was great to watch even if "my team" didn't win in the end. Although Kerri may have pulled off the shot of the tournament (when she ran under the net in the quarterfinals to save a point), it seemed like the Brazilians last night were pulling off "circus shots" on every rally, sometimes multiple times in a single rally. Kudos to them on their winning effort to be sure.

I haven't checked but I'm hoping that the finals will be held late at night as well. Seems to make for a great environment even on tv from thousands of miles away.

Must say I like your idea of late night women's beach volleyball replacing current programming! I'd tune in regularly for sure!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 17, 2016 20:45

strat72
mr_dja
Phil Good
Stoneage

Peace,
Mr DJA

Do any other countries apart from The U.S like basketball? Surely it's a bit of a minority sport?

There are far too many events in The Games....The only sports that should be in The Olympics are sports where an Olympic gold medal is the pinnacle achievement of said sport. If you ask a golfer if he wants to win The British Open or The Olympic gold medal? He's going to choose The Open. Same with a tennis player.... Wimbledon or The Gold? Wimbledon every time! Why is football in The Olympics? Even the biggest football fans in the world, people like me, couldn't give a toss about football in The Olympics. It's a joke...... It's also a joke to allow drug cheats to compete!

Shocking to see the stadium three quarters empty for the athletics!

Not sure that I'd agree with you that basketball is a minority sport although I'd probably agree that it's biggest market is most likely in the USA.

I WILL agree that if the Olympics aren't the premier international event for a sport, it probably shouldn't be represented there. I'm right there with your line of thinking about Golf, Tennis & Football.

Although, in theory, I'm in agreement that "drug cheats" shouldn't be allowed to compete, I wish there weren't quite so many groups involved in determining what a cheater is. It's gotten to the point where an athlete really doesn't know who might be in charge of determining what is or is not allowed on a month to month basis. Plus, when you add in the fact that we, as a species, have basically conditioned ourselves to accept that putting something in our bodies to improve our experience is acceptable and or necessary, it can be hard to justify some of the relativism.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 17, 2016 20:47

-

Date: August 17, 2016 21:59

Just saw the listings... I (and probably jambay) get our wish...

Taken from an article on newyorktimes.com:

"Ágatha and Bárbara won, 22-20, 21-18, to earn a spot in the final against Germany (11 p.m. Eastern on Wednesday), which had beaten the top-ranked Brazilians Talita and Larissa earlier Tuesday night."

MIDNIGHT (local time anyway) Beach Volleyball One Last Time!

Obviously the local organizers know their crowds but I've got to give them kudos for setting the schedule the way they did. I imagine there were many raised eyebrows when people saw events scheduled for a midnight start time. Let alone a gold medal match. Has that ever happened at the Olympics before?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 17, 2016 22:53

-

Date: August 17, 2016 23:10

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:02 by jambay.

Date: August 17, 2016 23:18

I'll be watching and will raise a glass your direction jambay. Where will you be watching form, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just hoping that NBC will show both matches as they can be somewhat US-centric sometimes. I still haven't set myself up to stream the games on the internet and don't really want to mess with that last minute tonight.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 17, 2016 23:27

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:02 by jambay.

Date: August 17, 2016 23:31

-

Date: August 18, 2016 04:05

-

Date: August 18, 2016 04:06

-

Date: August 18, 2016 06:19

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:01 by jambay.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: August 18, 2016 06:32

I'm watching the women's beach volleyball right now, and I've got to be honest........ As a sport it is utter shite, but I like the way the German girls keep smacking each other on the arse after every second point! Some might think I'm being sexist, but lets be truthful... If those women were complete ugly munters, nobody, and I mean nobody would be watching would they? Thankfully they aren't, so I am.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 06:45 by strat72.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: August 18, 2016 07:38

GREAT BRITAIN VS. NETHERLANDS - Final for the women's field hockey.

Really entertaining sport, I watched it last time, hard to find some events on the telly but I did get to see GB defeat New Zealand. One of my favorites.

Different flow than ice hockey but it's got its charm.

Water polo is great too.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: August 18, 2016 07:38

Volleyball, Iran vs. Italy, entertaining though I think Italy largely dominated. Some of the matches were close.

When Italy play basketball, volleyball, I really tend to cheer them. Just not a fan of their style of football play.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-18 07:40 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 18, 2016 11:37

latebloomer
Matching outfits and they look happy together...

What I notice Mick looks as if he still hasn't recovered from the excesses of the 1975 tour. Remember Annie Leibowitz went straight to rehab after the tour ended.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 18, 2016 21:31

Uh-oh: [www.cnn.com]

Reminds me of another gas station incident smoking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home