Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Roadies [anyone watching?]
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 18, 2016 09:41

hi - The Showtime series "Roadies" is up to episode 4. I keep tuning back in but not digging it--maybe it's a matter of yet.

Feels too saturated in Cameron Crowe, with no checks and balances. Created by, directed by, written by, produced by.

It's supposed to be current but the soundtrack is wrong, the cultural references feel stale--the whole thing feels like around 1998, which was a good year, to be sure, but a whole lot has happened since then.

Characters in their 20s and early 30s seem written with the sensibilities of baby boomers or Gen Xers. Most characters feel like cliches, and are largely unpleasant, surly, sarcastic, and snipe and bicker at each other. Luke Wilson is supposed to be this sexually irresistible 50-something dynamo who young women swoon and throw themselves into bed with. The main female interest is a scrappy truth-tellin'skateboarding chick who is set up against the stick-up-his-arse Brit bean-counter who "corporate" has foisted upon the gang of valorous principled if grumpy backstage heroes. The two "hate" each other and there's supposed to be this sexual tension between them simmering provocatively. But, in fact, the writing and chemistry is cardboard and not believable. And not interesting.

There's always at least 4 sets of tits in every show and at least one full-front young woman, but never reciprocity with guys--a pet peeve of mine.

But mostly, to me, "Roadies" is slightly suffocating, hackneyed, sentimentalized, cardboard, vaguely bitter, outdated, inch-deep, and boring.

Your thoughts?

- swiss

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-18 13:46 by swiss.

Re: OT: Roadies [anyone watching?]
Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: July 18, 2016 10:24

yer, seen the first episode on amazon prime. gotta agree with ya. im not "getting" it yet. not sure if i will bother with more episodes if it aint any better as you said by number 4.
its a shame,was an interesting idea for a show...

Date: July 18, 2016 10:37

It was an interesting idea for a show! No idea how well it's doing critically, but, to me it just hasn't taken off.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 18, 2016 11:06

This isn't exactly an informed view, but I saw a promo picture for the show and thought "none of these people look remotely like they could be roadies, except in some alternate TV universe."(I actually haven't heard anybody refer to a road crew as roadies in years, come to think.) So I have yet to watch.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 18, 2016 12:59

Might be a case of Vinyl fatigue, but even the ads for Roadies look stupid. Not interested, haven't watched.

Date: July 18, 2016 13:55

Aquamarine
This isn't exactly an informed view, but I saw a promo picture for the show and thought "none of these people look remotely like they could be roadies, except in some alternate TV universe."(I actually haven't heard anybody refer to a road crew as roadies in years, come to think.) So I have yet to watch.

That's exactly what it is, Aquamarine -- an alternate TV universe. An outdated one with mopey people wearing flannel and making pronouncement about the integrity of rock n roll.

ab
Might be a case of Vinyl fatigue, but even the ads for Roadies look stupid. Not interested, haven't watched.

I wonder whether I keep watching because I loved Vinyl, and hoped this would somehow transmogrify into something weird, edgy, fast-paced, fun, and original. It won't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-18 13:58 by swiss.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 18, 2016 14:19

Baz Luhrmann is doing a Netflix series on the hip hop music scene in NYC in the 70's. Maybe this is the one to watch.

Date: July 19, 2016 06:03

latebloomer
Baz Luhrmann is doing a Netflix series on the hip hop music scene in NYC in the 70's. Maybe this is the one to watch.

Thanks for mentioning, latebloomer.

Here's the trailer.

Vinyl's trailer didn't make me want to watch it, but I loved the show, so will suspend my disbelief until actually watching "The Get Down."

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 19, 2016 08:16

I'm watching it on HBO Canada where they show each episode a few times. I wasn't really aware of the series but in watching the first episode, I noticed that they were set up in the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver although it was supposed to be somewhere else. Saw many concerts and Canucks hockey games there. Coliseum was also where the Stones opened their 72 tour.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 19, 2016 11:23

swiss
There's always at least 4 sets of tits in every show and at least one full-front young woman

And you waited 4 episodes before mentioning this here?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 19, 2016 16:33

I've been watching. It's harmless, lightweight summer fare. Plus it's got boobies.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: July 19, 2016 21:15

Nope

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: July 19, 2016 23:42

Saw the first one.Awful.
Cameron Croweconfused smileycreenplay for Fast Times at Ridgemont High;yes.
Screenplay for Say Anything:yes
Everything else:no,thank you.
And I know some people like Almost Famous,but that movie is pure shite.

Posted by: 72hotrocks ()
Date: July 19, 2016 23:44

Luke Wilson makes Kevin Costner look like he has range.
Wooden.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 20, 2016 06:31

I'd watch an episode for boobies but that's likely it.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: July 20, 2016 20:28

OK, after the most recent episode I am done. Boobies notwithstanding it was excruciating.

Date: July 22, 2016 11:27

Rolling Hansie
swiss
There's always at least 4 sets of tits in every show and at least one full-front young woman

And you waited 4 episodes before mentioning this here?

LOL! Waited 4 episodes before mentioning Roadies b/c no one I know in real life is watching it, and wanted see whether maybe someone here in iorr had a different perspective than mine that could frame it up in a more appealing light for me, or just to discuss how crappy it is tongue sticking out smiley

...as said, equal opportunity nudity elevates a show for me, because it's a somewhat radical choice, whereas shows with garden variety tits attached to young characters who are sleeping with older dudes, plus a few female pube shots tossed in just seem sort of conventionally gratuitous. I don't begrudge anyone wanting to catch an eyefull but it doesn't do anything for me, and seems a lazy way to drawn in a viewing audience.

- swiss

Date: July 22, 2016 11:30

72hotrocks
Saw the first one.Awful.
Cameron Croweconfused smileycreenplay for Fast Times at Ridgemont High;yes.
Screenplay for Say Anything:yes
Everything else:no,thank you.
And I know some people like Almost Famous,but that movie is pure shite.

Luke Wilson makes Kevin Costner look like he has range.
Wooden.

LOL! I appreciate Luke Wilson, but his woodenness works better in Wes Anderson than this show.

Date: July 22, 2016 11:34

rbk
I've been watching. It's harmless, lightweight summer fare. Plus it's got boobies.

Wry Cooter
I'd watch an episode for boobies but that's likely it.

rbk
OK, after the most recent episode I am done. Boobies notwithstanding it was excruciating.

It really is, isn't it?

Wry Cooter, be advised smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home