Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Velvet Underground/Lou Reed influence on the Stones?
Posted by: FP ()
Date: July 15, 2016 14:11

I did a search but didn't come up with anything so I thought I would ask if anyone knows if there was any influence from the VU to the Stones, were Jagger and Richards aware of them?if so which period and which songs have the influence of Lou Reed's style?

Was there ever talk of collaboration between Jagger and Reed due to Bowies influence?

Re: Velvet Underground/Lou Reed influence on the Stones?
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 15, 2016 14:15

I read somewhere that You Can't Always Get What You Want was partly inspired on Heroin (the chord sequence C - F)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 15, 2016 14:33

Stray Cat Blues ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 15, 2016 15:10

the alternate take of Soul Survivor sounds very much like a Velvet Underground song

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 15, 2016 16:56

Album cover by Warhol.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 15, 2016 17:05

'Have you seen your mother, Baby' sounds like a Velvet Underground song, but that came out before the VU's first' album. So they were both probably influenced by some of the stuff floating around and the new studio techniques.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 15, 2016 17:13

Some interesting comments here as well.
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 15, 2016 17:49

Isn't 'Memo from Turner' in Velvet Undergrounds style?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 15, 2016 19:27

To me, Street Fighting Man, with its low-fi sound (recorded on a cassette recorder), always made think of possibly VU influenced song.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 15, 2016 19:43

Rockman
Stray Cat Blues ......

Yes, I saw an interview where Mick said that "Stray cat was a direct rip off of VU".........(can't remember when though.......

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 15, 2016 20:25

EddieByword
Rockman
Stray Cat Blues ......

Yes, I saw an interview where Mick said that "Stray cat was a direct rip off of VU".........(can't remember when though.......

I think Mick said that in the70s. The journalist didn't believe him, and then he said "I'll tell you exactly where: Stray Cat Blues".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 15, 2016 20:28

Found on richieunderberger.com

"Of perhaps more note is that the Velvet Underground are confirmed to have directly influenced an actual well-known late 1960s Rolling Stones recording. As Mick Jagger confessed to Nick Kent of NME in June 1977, "Even we've been influenced by the Velvet Underground. No, really. I'll tell you exactly what we pinched from [Lou Reed]. Y'know 'Stray Cat Blues' [from the Rolling Stones' 1968 album Beggars Banquet)? The whole sound and the way it's paced, we pinched from the first Velvet Underground album. Y'know, the sound on 'Heroin.' Honest to God, we did!"

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: July 15, 2016 20:43

JumpingKentFlash
Found on richieunderberger.com

"Of perhaps more note is that the Velvet Underground are confirmed to have directly influenced an actual well-known late 1960s Rolling Stones recording. As Mick Jagger confessed to Nick Kent of NME in June 1977, "Even we've been influenced by the Velvet Underground. No, really. I'll tell you exactly what we pinched from [Lou Reed]. Y'know 'Stray Cat Blues' [from the Rolling Stones' 1968 album Beggars Banquet)? The whole sound and the way it's paced, we pinched from the first Velvet Underground album. Y'know, the sound on 'Heroin.' Honest to God, we did!"

That's the one..........thumbs up .....hmmm, I thought I'd seen that (as opposed to read it..............but that's it.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home