Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Money
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 12, 2016 23:48

treaclefingers
Cooltoplady
duke richardson
The one who'll know is Bill Wyman.

He should have been their financial advisor or CFO.

he is the guy that was crying a few years ago that he had to sell one of his homes because he was broke.

Plus, he has to scour the beaches for coins. His financial situation is clearly dire.

grinning smiley

Posted by: Shantipole ()
Date: July 13, 2016 19:43

with sssoul
Thanks for the correction about RS Ltd, jlowe, but still: Their job was not directing a company;
their job was the heated pursuit of a music career as it led them to uncharted heights, and it kept them mighty busy.
It's only with hindsight that you can say things like "they should've had British advisors too".
They had a business manager. They were paying him to do a job. They had a right to expect that he was doing it.
It's like saying "they should've had a lawyer look over their contract with Klein before signing it" -
sure, that's obvious now; and they learned it the hard way.

Hail hail Rolling Stones, for not letting that stop them

As a lawyer who has advised a few bands in my time I always give the following advice:

1. Incorporate and treat your band like a company
2. Don't blindly follow the advice of any business manager or accountant. Ask questions, demand detailed documentation and keep asking questions. It's a band's money and career at stake.

When a band moans that they are artists not business people I look them straight in the eye and ask them if this is a career or a hobby. If it's a career they better start educating themselves.

Jagger does this better than most but just relying on somebody to manage your affairs without asking questions is often a recipe for disaster.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 13, 2016 19:51

In 1970 "broke" meant you couldn't fly Concorde (first class) twice a month...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 13, 2016 20:38

What has surprised me when you read up on the events in 1965 that led to them signing with Klein is:
1. Mick had been a student at the London School of Economics, admittedly he didn't graduate, but it has usually been rated in the top four or so Universities in the UK. So you need to be bright, its very competitive to get a place.
2. They had already experienced a not very good deal with the 1963 management and recording contracts.
3.Mick has been reported to (even then) scrutinise the paperwork.
4.They seemed to overlook the fact that it was their Managers (right from the beginning) and not the band who owned the masters and publishing copyrights.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 13, 2016 21:18

jlowe
What has surprised me when you read up on the events in 1965 that led to them signing with Klein is:
1. Mick had been a student at the London School of Economics, admittedly he didn't graduate, but it has usually been rated in the top four or so Universities in the UK. So you need to be bright, its very competitive to get a place.
2. They had already experienced a not very good deal with the 1963 management and recording contracts.
3.Mick has been reported to (even then) scrutinise the paperwork.
4.They seemed to overlook the fact that it was their Managers (right from the beginning) and not the band who owned the masters and publishing copyrights.

I think Jagger's acumen for business is overdone. He's made plenty of mistakes along the way, such as the Klein deal, although in that case he might have given too much weight to Keith's opinion (if so, probably for the last time!).
Other bands made more money -- probably in 1980, Jimmy Page had a much bigger bank account than Mick.
It probably wasn't until the 1990s that Jagger finally figured out how to monetize the Stones.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: July 13, 2016 22:41

GasLightStreet
2000 LYFH
But... They were using Keith's house as a recording studio, so they did not have the expensive of renting an actual recording studio (what did the Rolling Stones Mobile cost them?). So I assume that some of the $2700/month cost came from their record company - "Rolling Stones Records" they formed in 1970...

I also think that Keith was charging some members of the group rent for staying at Nellcote which they did not like (I think this was in Tony Sanchez's book)!

General Question: Who/how does any group pay for making a record at an actual recording studio? Does each member chip in or does the Record company foot the bill?

Depends. There are big acts and long running acts that are signed to record labels to various degree but the labels probably still don't pay for everything (except for some of the Nashville based labels considering the crap that comes out of Nashville).

These days a majority of album sessions are paid for by the artist - it's too expensive to let a record label pay for sessions, and since a lot of artists are on their own label strictly by name for having something to call a record label, those record labels don't pay for recording sessions, the artists do.

As an example, the Drive-By Truckers are currently signed to ATO Records but I doubt ATO pays for their recording sessions - that's really just distribution and some hype. That costs ATO Records money and certainly they make it back but it's not gazillions of thousands of dollars compared to recording sessions.

But to your wonderment about the rent and not having to pay for an "actual" recording studio... they needed quite a few feet of a lot of things, especially mic cables. They needed tape. They needed people that knew what they were doing. Then of course there's food and drugs and booze. Don't be under the impression that it was all handed to them. The deal with record labels up until the mid-1990s was the advance; they weren't concerned about making money from record sales - only the record label was concerned about that. And all a record label is is a bank that hands out loans to bands/musicians/artists.

The labels get their money back (unless you're Sony). Once they get their money back the bands/musicians/artists start to make a little bit of money.

Tony's book is hilarious fiction.

OK thanks - that's a informative response.

It seems even though they had to still buy cables/tape/etc., the cost saving of not having to rent a studio somewhere in the world and then having to have each member rent expensive homes for weeks/months must of saved them big time. Just move to the south of France and let's record...

And food and drugs and booze is probably the same no matter what they are doing or where they are at!smoking smiley

Yeah, I don't know what's the truth or fiction in Up and Down with The Rolling Stones. Didn't Keith say sometime right after the book came out that it was all basically true! Who knows?

Date: July 13, 2016 22:47

Shantipole
with sssoul
Thanks for the correction about RS Ltd, jlowe, but still: Their job was not directing a company;
their job was the heated pursuit of a music career as it led them to uncharted heights, and it kept them mighty busy.
It's only with hindsight that you can say things like "they should've had British advisors too".
They had a business manager. They were paying him to do a job. They had a right to expect that he was doing it.
It's like saying "they should've had a lawyer look over their contract with Klein before signing it" -
sure, that's obvious now; and they learned it the hard way.

Hail hail Rolling Stones, for not letting that stop them

As a lawyer who has advised a few bands in my time I always give the following advice:

1. Incorporate and treat your band like a company
2. Don't blindly follow the advice of any business manager or accountant. Ask questions, demand detailed documentation and keep asking questions. It's a band's money and career at stake.

When a band moans that they are artists not business people I look them straight in the eye and ask them if this is a career or a hobby. If it's a career they better start educating themselves.

Jagger does this better than most but just relying on somebody to manage your affairs without asking questions is often a recipe for disaster.

Good Advice! Look at Billy Joel's ex-brother-in-law and former manager. Don't trust anybody...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 13, 2016 22:55

The bands from the 60s/70s who seemed to handle their business deals, management and recording contracts very astutely were Led Zeppelin and Queen. Likewise their 'legacy'.
Most others, in their first flush of success got well screwed.
Paul Simon is another astute cookie. Of course being around New York's Brill Building no doubt helped! Except for his very first compositions he owns all his work.

Date: July 13, 2016 23:03

I think Creedence got the royal screwing of anyone by their manager.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: July 13, 2016 23:12

I always thought that Rupert loenstien was the brains behind the RS money making operation and Mick learned how to do it from him . It's Interesting he rated both Mick and Keith - even though engaging Keith to concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes was a major challenge. ( " Keith , in my view , had the most intelligent mind in the band " he said ) but less so the others, including Bill, it seems.
Speaking to those who knew RS, there were lots of terrific stories which could not go in his book but even the watered down version that did go in his book made Mick very cross ( not unreasonably ) but I think he wanted to set the record straight before he died.

Date: July 14, 2016 00:46

georgemcdonnell314

And Badfinger - a couple of the members committed suicide over management and getting ripped off..

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 14, 2016 05:31

2000 LYFH
georgemcdonnell314

And Badfinger - a couple of the members committed suicide over management and getting ripped off..

Long story and referenced here:

[www.youtube.com]

Grand Funk Railroad Documentary

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1991
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home