Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: My symbolic ending for the Rolling Stones
Posted by: alieb ()
Date: July 1, 2016 23:50

Don't care when it happens as long as I get to see them once more before then...I feel like the last gig has to be in London though if it's pre-planned...

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 2, 2016 00:39

Some members of the Buena Social Club were well into their 80's and still performing.
Maybe (I suspect) South American attitudes are less ageist.
It's the music that matters.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 2, 2016 21:30

Flip it around, how many people in their fifties or sixties want to go to see a Taylor Swift concert or a One Direction concert as fans, not just to take their kids? Not many! lol

I suppose half of the kids at modern Rolling Stones concerts are genuinely interested and the other half are just curious or are being dragged along by their parents. Like I said, I sense an upcoming "purge" in the demographics of concert goers. The ancient bands are going to stop touring and the old folks will completely stop going to concerts. Eventually it will become just like it was in the Sixties and Seventies where the concert going demographic is almost exclusively in the 15-25 age range. In a way, I find that refreshing, like a rebirth. But I also want to cry because I am too damn old!

Don't trust anybody over thirty.

- or -

Don't trust anybody under forty.

Date: July 2, 2016 22:57

MileHigh
Flip it around, how many people in their fifties or sixties want to go to see a Taylor Swift concert or a One Direction concert as fans, not just to take their kids? Not many! lol

I suppose half of the kids at modern Rolling Stones concerts are genuinely interested and the other half are just curious or are being dragged along by their parents. Like I said, I sense an upcoming "purge" in the demographics of concert goers. The ancient bands are going to stop touring and the old folks will completely stop going to concerts. Eventually it will become just like it was in the Sixties and Seventies where the concert going demographic is almost exclusively in the 15-25 age range. In a way, I find that refreshing, like a rebirth. But I also want to cry because I am too damn old!

Don't trust anybody over thirty.

- or -

Don't trust anybody under forty.

well i'm still technically in the target age bracket for one direction and t swift but i don't really fancy listening to either, however i can imagine that in 30 years there will still be older people who bring their children to see them just like they did to New Kids On The Block when they did their reunion and to Madonna

Posted by: opj ()
Date: July 2, 2016 23:07

The Rolling Stones won't go down slow. They'll be playing till the end. The only way out is the graveyard. They are the greatest band ever in the world.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: July 2, 2016 23:43

opj
The Rolling Stones won't go down slow. They'll be playing till the end. The only way out is the graveyard. They are the greatest band ever in the world.

guess again

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 3, 2016 01:32

opj

That is very possible. I'm sure it's been a long time since they really needed the money!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 3, 2016 12:06

I am not looking out for endings. Neither do I meditate on the question how long they may last as band. I only ask if they may add one more occasion of greatness. After that, if achieved, even one more.

Now the Stones have toured on several continents with a more guitar oriented sound as their most recently changed concept and achievement towards their relatively unchanged setlists of later years.

If the Stones are to be able to deliver something more now as a continuation of greatness, it is by releasing an album of some quality. To tour with not only one or two, but some songs from such an album integrated into changed setlists would, if they want to, give the Rolling Stones a basis for a prolonged continuation of greatness.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 3, 2016 14:03

Witness
I am not looking out for endings. Neither do I meditate on the question how long they may last as band. I only ask if they may add one more occasion of greatness. After that, if achieved, even one more.

Now the Stones have toured on several continents with a more guitar oriented sound as their most recently changed concept and achievement towards their relatively unchanged setlists of later years.

If the Stones are to be able to deliver something more now as a continuation of greatness, it is by releasing an album of some quality. To tour with not only one or two, but some songs from such an album integrated into changed setlists would, if they want to, give the Rolling Stones a basis for a prolonged continuation of greatness.

We can hope! smileys with beer

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 3, 2016 18:07

HonkeyTonkFlash
Witness

We can hope! smileys with beer
smileys with beerdrinking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs upsmiling bouncing smileysmileys with beer

STONES!!!

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: July 3, 2016 18:24

My symbolic ending for the Stones would be three final dates one week in London. First a club gig, then an arena gig, and finally a dazzling huge stadium gig.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 3, 2016 20:01

StonedInTokyo
My symbolic ending for the Stones would be three final dates one week in London. First a club gig, then an arena gig, and finally a dazzling huge stadium gig.

That would be a more fitting ending, following a tour of the UK featuring cities that the band haven't performed in often or for a long time: Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham, etc.

The Glastonbury performance wouldn't have been a good note for the band to end on.

As others have noted, we've had fantastic performances from the Stones in the time since they graced Worthy Farm. The Zip Code Tour, which featured some fantastic performances, including the best live renditions in the band's history of 'Midnight Rambler' (Arlington) and 'You Gotta Move' (Atlanta); the Olé Tour, which featured some of the most atmospheric shows the Stones have ever performed; the historic show in Cuba that followed.

Glastonbury was an underwhelming performance by Stones standards. The band did not sound their best (partly, I feel, for technological reasons) and Jagger's voice was noticeably weaker than on almost any other occasion since 2012.

The relatively low quality of performance could have been anticipated, however, due to the fact it was the band's first outdoor performance since 2007.

Olly.

Date: July 3, 2016 20:11

I think the general consensus is that the Glastonbury show was amazing and better than the two Hyde Park concerts that followed it. When I watched it I got a sense that there was some magic in the air. I did not notice a problem with Jagger's voice but I will pay attention the next time I get around to watching some of it. Anyway, to each his or her own.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 4, 2016 09:29

Jagger is assassinated by a member of the Hell’s Angels but eventually the Stones roll on with that look-alike from One Direction who legally changes his name to Mike Jagger...Keith relinquishes his role as guitarist to become a back-up dancer as other members of One Direction gradually join the band with one of them legally changing his name to Brian Jones and the Stones remain a bankable commodity well into the 2050s when Keith, who had been stored in liquid nitrogen for decades, is miraculously brought back to life and rumours emerge that the new and improved Keith is soloing more fluidly than Taylor ever did which gives rise to intense debates across cyberspace and indeed the universe.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 4, 2016 09:30

Date: July 4, 2016 16:42

I seemed to remember the writer Nick Cohn saying the best ending for The Stones would be if they were all killed in a plane crash three days before their 30th. birthday.
Goodness me, we'd then never have had their post 1973 work or solo stuff to complain about.

Date: July 4, 2016 21:39

When Taylor left the Stones.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 6, 2016 00:21

TheflyingDutchman

I have that hairdryer. It still works and is very useful.

Date: July 6, 2016 00:26

Bliss
TheflyingDutchman

I have that hairdryer. It still works and is very useful.

It's a Vacuum Cleaner.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: July 6, 2016 01:23

roller99
opj

guess again

*Oh no. So what does this mean/ this will be the last time maybe the last time
I don't know.
End in NY Fall 2016, or in the Desert/ Vegas 2016
At the Exibitionism opening Mick was asked something like 'so you keep going/ not retire?'
He says 'Yeah. Well, maybe.'
What say you roller99?

Date: July 6, 2016 23:18

Exhibitionism runs till 2020, it might get a final second run in London in 2021.
I don't think Mick would relish 60th anniversaries which would be due around 2022.
Also the following year Mick and Keith hit 80 years.
I think 2021 may be closure, but no formal announcement.
I cant see them doing a Band Last Waltz farewell gig.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: July 7, 2016 01:02

The Stones will be here until the last days of planet earths existence and then when the whole thing finally blows...They'll come back and write a song about it !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-07 01:04 by 2120Wolf.

Date: July 7, 2016 06:59

Well if the Cold War resumes in earnest then we can start cracking that old Keith joke again.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 7, 2016 18:14

the stones have been around since shortly after evolution. give or take the odd decade, and they will probably be the last men on earth just to turn the lights out, maybe even release a few songs from the vaults along the way.

Date: July 8, 2016 06:23

35love
roller99
opj

guess again

*Oh no. So what does this mean/ this will be the last time maybe the last time
I don't know.
End in NY Fall 2016, or in the Desert/ Vegas 2016
At the Exibitionism opening Mick was asked something like 'so you keep going/ not retire?'
He says 'Yeah. Well, maybe.'
What say you roller99?
Oh no, if that is the case I'm going to need to break my piggy bank open and find a way to Vegas

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2016 09:29

stanlove
buttons67
i dont agree that brian didnt contribute much to the stones, he played several instruments on many great songs and was the main driving force behind the ever changing stones sound, without that the stones would be considered a lot shallower musically.

no doubt mick was a talented musician too and the sound of the band changed when he came in, but they were very different from the jones era.

The fact that he played instruments on songs doesn't mean he is a big deal. It was Jagger/Richard songs. If Brian wasn't in the band then someone else would have played the instruments. Plus they improved greatly s a live act when he left.

(Brian) was still fantastic making records, because he was so versatile. I mean, he'd have marimbas - which is why you have marimbas on Under My Thumb - or dulcimer, sitar. He kind of lost interest in guitar, in a way. But at the same time he added all of that other color, those other instruments and other ideas. He was an incredibly inventive musician.

- Keith Richards, 1994

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 24, 2016 22:21

I would rather be grateful for what they have given us, a lifetime of work and excitement, and the thrills they are still giving us, and not think of an ending for music that's ever-lasting, nor for anything other than their enduring health and happiness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-25 00:37 by hopkins.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 25, 2016 05:23

I'm beginning to lean towards Charlie being the reason they stop. One day he'll just say 'I can't do it anymore' and that will be that.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: July 25, 2016 06:05

One day he'll just say 'I can't do it anymore' and that will be that.

It must be getting harder to play with such power for the live shows. He could probably do it forever in the studio.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home