Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: My symbolic ending for the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 27, 2016 00:50

Whenever they end, I hope it's before they have gone so far downhill that they have become pathetic or a joke. Some performers carry much too long, to the bitter end. Much better to go out on a high if possible; at the very least, not on an all-time low.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 27, 2016 01:08

Bliss
Whenever they end, I hope it's before they have gone so far downhill that they have become pathetic or a joke. Some performers carry much too long, to the bitter end. Much better to go out on a high if possible; at the very least, not on an all-time low.

Good point. Chuck Berry has become cringe-worthy in old age. The Stones appear to be in very good shape for their age but I must admit that my all-time hero, Keith...worries me a bit.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: June 27, 2016 01:51

Keith's well recieved crosseyed heart gives some hope that their's still a glimmer of creative life in the Stones. I'm sure we are all hoping the expected new album will be good. Perhaps we've got a bit to go yet..

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 27, 2016 03:20

stonesrule
We can always count on Mistra Knowitall.

Yes, Brian became a mess. But there was a time when he counted for something
within the Rolling Stones, who would not have existed without him.

Yes and yes
I like the Stevie Wonder quote there, stonesrule..

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 27, 2016 03:28

MrTurner
Keith's well recieved crosseyed heart gives some hope that their's still a glimmer of creative life in the Stones. I'm sure we are all hoping the expected new album will be good. Perhaps we've got a bit to go yet..

True Turner - after Keith's Crosseyed Heart, there's still hope for the Stones!
In a live setting not so sure how long they can hack it...every tour the shows get shorter.
When Charlie has finally had enough touring (which he already claims to despise), that will be the end as we know it.
Maybe some random new studio recordings after that and/or a continuously dredging up and releasing nuggets from the vaults...
In the meantime, they're still recording and playing live - it ain't over yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-27 03:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 27, 2016 04:06

The Stones are in double overtime. Almost everything, excepting one song, Doom & Gloom has been built on nostalgia since the 50th Anniversary started, and even a couple years before with the Super Exile release. The greatest Stones songs then and since, excepting D&G, are old Stones tracks.

And quit dissing Brian. There was a time, '64 and '65 when Brian and the Stones could blitzkrieg a stage with a power they never regained. Brian was a genius on slide guitar. He is THE most lovely sounding slide player I've ever heard.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: June 27, 2016 07:32

Mine would be about 4 or 5 dates in the Royal Albert Hall and then a marathon Blues set with breaks in between and a few guest playing blues with them at The Marquee Club in July 2017 to mark the alpha and omega date of the band. Finish the way it started.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 28, 2016 01:45

i do hope they quit before they get too old.

imagine jagger at 80 years old prancing about on stage.

Date: June 28, 2016 01:49

buttons67

That's not too many years away!

Posted by: Voodookitten76 ()
Date: June 28, 2016 01:55

buttons67

Mick *will* be prancing about on stage at 80, and I'll be excited to see it! As long as they can do it, there's loads of people that can dig it! smiling bouncing smiley

"Nice bit of silk, Em."

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 28, 2016 03:41

buttons67

Umm, people said that when he turned 50, 60, AND 70.

At this point, I no longer doubt Jagger. Yes, 80 truly does seem ludicrous, but if anyone can pull it off, he can.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: June 28, 2016 06:16

As long as Keith and Mick are alive it will be ..."On With The Show"...at that point, they will tour as the Glimmer Twins...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 28, 2016 08:08

Early on in this thread, I said that Brian's death was the end of an era.
Because it was...

However, to be perfectly clear, this doesn't mean that I thought the Stones
should stop or be worthless without Brian.

I have seen, heard many great Stones concerts through the years.

They will retire and stop touring and recording when THEY decide to do so.
Not when anyone who posts here thinks they should.

Date: June 28, 2016 08:18

keefriff99
buttons67

Umm, people said that when he turned 50, 60, AND 70.

At this point, I no longer doubt Jagger. Yes, 80 truly does seem ludicrous, but if anyone can pull it off, he can.

Prezactly! drinking smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: June 28, 2016 10:59

Hairball
MrTurner

In a live setting not so sure how long they can hack it...every tour the shows get shorter.
When Charlie has finally had enough touring (which he already claims to despise), that will be the end as we know it.
Maybe some random new studio recordings after that and/or a continuously dredging up and releasing nuggets from the vaults...

That's simply not true. If you look at the show times from 2016 they play longer nowadays than on most Licks and Bang shows. Yes they sometimes only play 19 songs but they play many long songs.

Date: June 28, 2016 17:18

hockenheim95
Hairball
MrTurner

That's simply not true. If you look at the show times from 2016 they play longer nowadays than on most Licks and Bang shows. Yes they sometimes only play 19 songs but they play many long songs.

The trouble is that alot of the songs don't need to be so long. I'd rather hear a couple more songs than hear the coda on Brown Sugar and others stretched out to 7 minutes.

Date: June 28, 2016 18:53

hockenheim95
Hairball
MrTurner

I should have been more clear - the setlists keep getting shorter, but you are correct at the length of time.
With a shorter setlist (albeit with some extended/longer songs), there's less to remember and they're basically on autopilot.
As mentioned above, Brown Sugar does not need to be extended beyond it's original length - it's a bit monotonous. "I said yeah, yeah, yeah whoop dee doo".
Also, the extended Satisfaction could be better served if it was trimmed of some of it's fat.

Back in the day, it used to be something else when Mick and/or Keith would run the entire length of the stadium stage extensions during these extended versions, but that doesn't happen anymore. Or they'd all be out at the b-stage (arena or stadium) - again that doesn't happen anymore. Now it's basically Mick clapping in place, and Keith hunching over his guitar with an occasional kick at the air. And Ronnie posing and making funny faces.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: June 28, 2016 23:57

So StanLove what's so great about you ? Are we suppose to know what the @#$%& you've done....

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 30, 2016 22:57

Hairball
hockenheim95
Hairball
MrTurner

I should have been more clear - the setlists keep getting shorter, but you are correct at the length of time.
With a shorter setlist (albeit with some extended/longer songs), there's less to remember and they're basically on autopilot.
As mentioned above, Brown Sugar does not need to be extended beyond it's original length - it's a bit monotonous. "I said yeah, yeah, yeah whoop dee doo".
Also, the extended Satisfaction could be better served if it was trimmed of some of it's fat.

Back in the day, it used to be something else when Mick and/or Keith would run the entire length of the stadium stage extensions during these extended versions, but that doesn't happen anymore. Or they'd all be out at the b-stage (arena or stadium) - again that doesn't happen anymore. Now it's basically Mick clapping in place, and Keith hunching over his guitar with an occasional kick at the air. And Ronnie posing and making funny faces.

Agree on Brown Sugar.

Mick clapping in place? Hairball, I guess you missed him zipping around the tongue incessantly during the pit shows...among others.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-30 23:03 by angee.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: June 30, 2016 23:36

Not for me.
I dislike the word symbolic. Too negative.
Come to think of it THE ROLLING STONES will never end.
smileys with beer

Date: July 1, 2016 00:59

angee
Hairball
hockenheim95
Hairball
MrTurner

Agree on Brown Sugar.

Mick clapping in place? Hairball, I guess you missed him zipping around the tongue incessantly during the pit shows...among others.

No, I saw him prancing around a bit during a couple of those shows; I was slightly exaggerating. But the prancing is a far cry compared to the old days when he would literally sprint from one end of a massive stadium to the other, or dancing around like a tazmanian devil having a spaz attack for minutes on end. Can't blame him though for mellowing out and slowing down at his age; I still get out of breath imagining myself doing everything he does on stage. But the original point was that the over-extended versions of these songs are unnecessary, and without the visual energy of the Mick and Keith of old, the songs become monotonous.

Date: July 1, 2016 05:33

Slightly exaggerating, okay. cool smiley

I guess you saw him at stadiums too, and during Midnight Rambler and other tunes. Out of curiosity, what years are you saying his energy diminished? (Not saying some of that didn't happen, inevitably over 50 plus years.)

I have not disagreed with the drawn out songs...I'm not sure if they were that drawn out at the time of the greater visual energy of the two of which you speak.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: July 1, 2016 05:52

I've seen them in stadiums, arenas, theaters, and clubs.
I would say it's been a natural progression that has evolved over years - it's not a before and after type of thing that happened overnight.
I do remember noticing at the White House performance a few years ago he was visibly out of breath after the first song. Perhaps it was nerves?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 05:58 by Hairball.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 1, 2016 06:09

Honestly, a 75-year-old Mick Jagger is simply pushing it too far. And he is about to turn 73 on July 26th. For those of us that can transport ourselves back to the early to mid 1970's, the early post-hippie era, going to see a rock band with 75-year-old musicians sounds like some kind of bad trip! lol Before too long, the three-generations deal at rock concerts for bands like the Stones is going to change drastically.

I recommend the movie "The Walk" about the tight-rope walker that walks between the World Trade Center towers in 1974. There is a really funny scene where they go into an electronics store circa 1974. All of the stereos are spot on, including the "spacey" one that is a big smoked Perspex and plastic ball thing with remote speakers that are plastic balls. There are some 1974 "dudes" including a stoner dude. It was so funny to see, especially if you actually lived through the era and can relate.

Date: July 1, 2016 06:39

You've got me beat by a few years MileHigh. The first time I saw them was in 1981, but your point is well taken.
I've seen them every tour since then with the most shows during Licks, but that number has decreased with each passing tour since then. I saw them once last tour which was enough, and it mostly had to due with being a tradition and nostalgia. As I've stated before, it's like the annual county fair - the rides and food are the same for the most part, but there's still something charming about it. When the Stones come to town I'll be there once....and maybe twice!

Speaking of bad trips, one of the most bizarre Stones related things I've ever seen (on video) was Mick prancing around and duetting with Taylor Swift last year. There's something to be said about aging gracefully, and Mick must have missed the memo on that one.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 1, 2016 07:54

will be interesting to see how this works out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 08:16 by jambay.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 1, 2016 08:16

oops dbl post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-01 08:16 by jambay.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 1, 2016 08:33

Mick marries Melanie and they have triplets. She keeps working and he becomes a stay at home father. The Stones break up and retire.grinning smiley

Date: July 1, 2016 22:05

Yeah, Hairball, out of breath at the White House. That was likely nerves and from what I remember reading, not the usual space and time to warm up.

People have been saying the same thing about the band since forever....Why is 75 too old when 45, 55, or 65 isn't?
I'm not worried that they will go on too long. Mick is too much of a perfectionist. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 1, 2016 23:27

my 'symbolic' ending for the RS will be their last gig. And I 'm sure it will be excellent,as there were all their concerts I have attended.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2256
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home