Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Orlando shooting victims in memory
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 17, 2016 06:49

In 2014, 33,599 Americans died from a gunshot wound.

That's 92 deaths each and every day, or about two Orlandos each and every day. Yes, every day.

From 2001 to 2010, 119,246 Americans were murdered with guns in the United States.

That's 18 times the number of American combat deaths in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, over the same period of time that America's been at war in the Middle East.

18 times.

Imagine if 18 time the number of Americans were killed at home during WII as were killed on the battlegrounds of Europe and Asia. That ratio would shock anybody. Or at least it should--not to the point of despair but to the point of action.

So what am I trying to say? I guess that while Orlando was a horrific tragedy, it's sadly and completely within the norm of what's happening in America when it comes to gun violence.

Sadly, We won't get rid of hate. But we can get rid of access to guns that are uniquely designed to kill people (not game) as effectively as possible.

Moreover, if you were to google "deaths of Syrian civilians" you'd come across a number from the last year that makes Orlando look like a rounding error. Of course it's not, it's a serious event and national tragedy, but Syrians dying don't make the news and don't make it to IORR or other sites as something to get angry or grieve over.

My only request is that while we're speaking to and thinking of the dead and the dying, we think and speak to all of those who are dead and dying, not just those in a spot where Disney's operating a park.

Not meaning to offend anyone, just trying for some context.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Re: OT: Orlando shooting victims in memory
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 17, 2016 07:42

DaveG
Good grief!! How did this compassionate tribute turn into a "Disney is irresponsible" thread?
Come on, stick with the topic!

chill man...it only started because Orlando has been hit with a storm of bad things in only a few days which we were commenting on, and then we got a bit into the Disney tragedy. Do you own shares or something?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home