Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's Les Paul Custom forward position pickup switch...
Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: May 22, 2016 06:33

Hiza,
Anyone know if Keith's forward toggle position was neck, or neck and middle pickups? Read LPCs in general were standard forward/neck... but some weren't.

i know Keith had 4 of them.

thanks,
Berlinjive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-22 06:45 by berlinjive.

Re: Keith's Les Paul Custom forward position pickup switch...
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:56

...can't answer your specific question but, in recent years at least, I think Keith has had wiring mods completed to some guitars, in some cases to include the pickup switching.

His tendancy to strum energetically around the kneck joint makes it easy to catch upper body mounted switches .

For example His No 1 Tele Custom is clearly modded to move the selecter switch to one of the control knob locations.

I haven't see any outwardly visible evidence of similar mods to Keith's Les Pauls but it wouldn't suprise me if switches had on occasion been disabled .

[ I,m not sure ...but I think he may have his 2 pickup gibsons re-wired so that the signal is not muted when either vol pot is turned right down.This is something else that can catch players out in the heat of battle...and the sort of nonsense Keith won't likely put up with smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 13:05 by Spud.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 23, 2016 16:51

berlinjive
Hiza,
Anyone know if Keith's forward toggle position was neck, or neck and middle pickups? Read LPCs in general were standard forward/neck... but some weren't.

thanks,
Berlinjive

Down (towards pickups): bridge
Middle: bridge and middle, out of phase
Up: neck pickup

Keith would use the neck pickup most often.

Mathijs

Date: May 23, 2016 22:26

ya i see the toggle position Up in almost all the pics i see from the old days. Were all of his LPCs wired the the same though? in 60s & early70s?

Mathijs, do you still think a LPC was used on Rambler? From yr post a long time ago concerning that you said "phasing"... did you mean tape manipulated in the recording or, maybe some sort of cancelling from the middle pickups mag being physically so close... and affecting the neck pup even if middle one wasn't engaged?

Or, that if he had a LPC with up position of toggle: neck/middle. Anyone else know if LPCs came from factory ever this way in 50s-60s? I did read references to it on-line but yes, only hearsay.

As people have said previously, sometimes there's confusion between a hollow tone just due to physical combination of 2 pups (like 2 and 4 position of strat) rather than mags flipped. Especially if being variably blended with volume pots as LP Standards are.

Dunno if Keith bothered to work the middle position volumes much back then... anyone know?

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: May 24, 2016 05:07

Mathijs
berlinjive
Hiza,

thanks,
Berlinjive

Down (towards pickups): bridge
Middle: bridge and middle, out of phase
Up: neck pickup

Keith would use the neck pickup most often.

Mathijs
More BS from you is typical. Both pickups would have to be wired out of phase and that wasn't the case. No need to reply dude. i was waiting to see what kind of garbage you would write and i was right.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 24, 2016 10:23

berlinjive
ya i see the toggle position Up in almost all the pics i see from the old days. Were all of his LPCs wired the the same though? in 60s & early70s?

Mathijs, do you still think a LPC was used on Rambler? From yr post a long time ago concerning that you said "phasing"... did you mean tape manipulated in the recording or, maybe some sort of cancelling from the middle pickups mag being physically so close... and affecting the neck pup even if middle one wasn't engaged?

Or, that if he had a LPC with up position of toggle: neck/middle. Anyone else know if LPCs came from factory ever this way in 50s-60s? I did read references to it on-line but yes, only hearsay.

As people have said previously, sometimes there's confusion between a hollow tone just due to physical combination of 2 pups (like 2 and 4 position of strat) rather than mags flipped. Especially if being variably blended with volume pots as LP Standards are.

Dunno if Keith bothered to work the middle position volumes much back then... anyone know?

As far as I know all 3 pickup LP Customs where wired the same way until the mid-80's reissues. In the 80's some versions changed to simple bridge, middle and neck, so no combination of 2 pickups.

The out of phase sound of the two pickups combined was achieved by fitting the middle pickup in reverse, so magnetically it is out of phase with the other two. The wiring is basically that of a Stratocaster. It is unknown why Gibson put this wiring on the Custom's. It probably was in the same way of thinking that the frequency filter was added to the 345 and 355 series -just to make them special, with more achievable sounds.

There are sounds on the 8 CD Satanic box that are reminiscent of the OOP sound, but Richards was also using the Vox Supreme, which had a MRB knob that sounds quite like the OOP sound.

I would say Richards used the neck pickup almost exclusively.

Mathijs

Date: May 26, 2016 03:49

Thanks so much for your feedback on this. I have not been able to find a lot of info on-line about LPC habits. Interesting you bring up the frequency filter thing as i use an L6S with Bill Lawrence's nice use of only a 180 degree OOP (position 3 on the chicken head.) Also the Satanic Box... i have grabbed some of those tones for my own paintings. I have only known this Set for a couple years and it has been a real Skeleton Key concerning their song development. Lastly, i own a Vox Thomas SS Cambridge w/ the MRB ... also a Castledine Magical Mystery Box that is fantastic for Supreme/conqueror-ish sound. I will never have the bread for the real thing but I'm in the 'hood. Will have my early 70sJapanese LPC converted to 3 pup by Autumn & very excited to go down that road finally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2081
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home