Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 28 of 30
Re: OT: EURO 2016 - Prediction game and chat
Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 11, 2016 12:05

Palace Revolution 2000
So, Portugal may have 'won' this title, but in no way can one say that they are the best playing nation of the continent.

Agreed.
But I must also say that those countries of whom could be said they possibly are the
best playing nations, failed to score goals. I've spent a lot of evenings this summer
watching Germany and Spain losing the ball rather easily when entering the box and missing
great chances.
These teams have lots of technical and strategic players, but somehow were rather careless
when it came to making goals.

So my regrets about this tournament are not only that the defensive countries were
too effective, but also that the more attractive playing countries lacked the efficiency
in front of the goal.
(Well, that, and the fact that the Dutch failed to qualify...)

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: BroomWagon ()

Good for France and Portugal; glad they were the teams in the final!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-11 12:13 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()

maumau
catenaccio chatter is nosense

No, it's not. It is a legit and long existing term for the sort of football that Italian teams played for quite a long time and they were very succesful with it ... long time ago, when I was a kid smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 11, 2016 12:18

Catenaccio, if one knows their history of football.

Argue if one wants that Greece or Portugal did not win with a good dose of defence;

Portugal won 2 knockout matches scoring well after 90 minutes and another on penalties to a 1-1 game. That explains it. There best goalscoring match was 3-3 with Hungary where they were fighting for their tournament life to advance and only advanced as a 3rd place team. And that was a draw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-11 12:20 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2016 12:19

marcovandereijk
Palace Revolution 2000
So, Portugal may have 'won' this title, but in no way can one say that they are the best playing nation of the continent.

Agreed.
But I must also say that those countries of whom could be said they possibly are the
best playing nations, failed to score goals. I've spent a lot of evenings this summer
watching Germany and Spain losing the ball rather easily when entering the box and missing
great chances.
These teams have lots of technical and strategic players, but somehow were rather careless
when it came to making goals.

So my regrets about this tournament are not only that the defensive countries were
too effective, but also that the more attractive playing countries lacked the efficiency
in front of the goal.
(Well, that, and the fact that the Dutch failed to qualify...)

Good points Marco. thumbs up

Date: July 11, 2016 12:24

maumau
Congratulations to Portugal, well deserved title in the end, football is also good, smart, intelligent tactics expecially if an adversary break the knee of your best offensive player (yours and the world's) 15 minutes in the game.

eder change was the winning move as he gave the team the opportunity to go forward with long passes and crosses, he gained lots of free kicks and score in the end.

catenaccio chatter is nosense, tactics and defense is the weapon of teams that have less great players, and i like football exactly for that, you can have just good players and with good tactics you can win.

and you win because as portugal did last night: THEY scored, not France.

Enjoy the illusion that Portugal did not win because of defence; they started out with 3 draws; then a win after 90 minutes vs. Croatia, then a draw with Poland, finally a win in 90 minutes vs. Wales, there first win in 90 minutes in the tournament, the semi-finals then another win with a goal in about the 107th minute!

I won't stoop to insulting people behind their back.

Enjoy the National Mannschaft's Euro!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 11, 2016 12:46

BTW
I do hope next time the tournament will start with only 16 countries, four groups.
And only the numbers 1 and 2 of every group will continu to the quarter finals.
I think it was silly to have a couple of numbers 3 from the groups into the eighth finals.
And the tournament lasted a week too long.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 11, 2016 12:52

jpasc95
maumau
Congratulations to Portugal, well deserved title in the end, football is also good, smart, intelligent tactics expecially if an adversary break the knee of your best offensive player (yours and the world's) 15 minutes in the game.
ok you don't like the French team but is it necessary to write such a stupid comment about the "broken" knee of Ronaldo ?
Payet didn't have the intention to break anything and he played the ball. The contact was a bit tough but it often happens in modern football.

no no jpasc95, nothing against the french team but surely in defense of Portugal as a good team tactically against all this chat about what it is supposed to be the "best football".

of course if it happens to your country to have a generation of top players like iniesta xavi xabi alondso puyol etc all together then you make history and play great offensive football, but my point is that there are more ways to play good football and counterattack can be very good. aalso it is the way smaller and not-top teams can win and I think this is a great thing in football > that is Barcelona or Brasil dont win always smiling smiley

About my remark on Payet foul against Ronaldo: maybe it was a lack of better words (english is not may mother language) and of course Payet did not mean to do so much harm. Still it was a turning point of the game. Portugal lost his better player after 20 minutes. Also, hope his injury is not so bad as it seems.

Ironically enough: Ronaldo did not even get a free kick out of it and Payet did not get a yellow card.

because that was a foul, wasn't it jpasc95? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-11 13:10 by maumau.

Date: July 11, 2016 12:54

marcovandereijk
BTW
I do hope next time the tournament will start with only 16 countries, four groups.
And only the numbers 1 and 2 of every group will continu to the quarter finals.
I think it was silly to have a couple of numbers 3 from the groups into the eighth finals.
And the tournament lasted a week too long.

agree completely

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 11, 2016 12:58

Congratulations to Portugal! This time they didn't play the most beautiful football as they did often in history, but this time they have success. The team is more than Christiano Ronaldo alone. I'm happy to see Raphael Guerrero and Renato Sanchez in the Bundesliga in the next years.

Date: July 11, 2016 13:03

Rolling Hansie
maumau
catenaccio chatter is nosense

No, it's not. It is a legit and long existing term for the sort of football that Italian teams played for quite a long time and they were very succesful with it ... long time ago, when I was a kid smiling smiley

Yes of course Rolling Hansie smiling smiley I'm italian I know that well grinning smiley what I am arguing about is that

1) all defense-oriented tactics are "catenaccio"
2) all attack-oriented is better football

about point 1) there are many ways to defend, that is to leave ball possession mainly to the opponent. smaller and not-top teams must do that, no choice. football is great because sometimes smaller and not-top teams win smiling smiley

About point 2) a little example. Here in Italy we had a very good team manager called Zeman (from Czech Republic I think) who always have cared only about the attack phase of the game. His teams' matches always with plenty of goals but hardly I can say that his football was always beautiful (many mistakes). Not to speak of the fact that he won NOTHING

Date: July 11, 2016 13:08

BroomWagon
maumau

eder change was the winning move as he gave the team the opportunity to go forward with long passes and crosses, he gained lots of free kicks and score in the end.

catenaccio chatter is nosense, tactics and defense is the weapon of teams that have less great players, and i like football exactly for that, you can have just good players and with good tactics you can win.

and you win because as portugal did last night: THEY scored, not France.

Enjoy the illusion that Portugal did not win because of defence; they started out with 3 draws; then a win after 90 minutes vs. Croatia, then a draw with Poland, finally a win in 90 minutes vs. Wales, there first win in 90 minutes in the tournament, the semi-finals then another win with a goal in about the 107th minute!

I won't stoop to insulting people behind their back.

Enjoy the National Mannschaft's Euro!

apparently you quoted but not read my post
where did I write that Portugal did not win because of defence?

On the contrary, I am defending the point that good defence can be good football smiling smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 11, 2016 14:40

oh my............

[twitter.com]

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 11, 2016 14:48

Rip This
oh my............

[twitter.com]

Lot's of drinking / empty glasses.hot smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 11, 2016 15:22

Most people who watch football games are biased. They are pro or con France, Germany, Portugal, Italy, Spain and so on. The game is all about winning, not about anything else. Portugal ended up with the cup. May be France was an inch away from winning but that is how football works. I thought some of the games in this tournament was pretty boring, but again that is football. That is why I love ice hockey more, there are very few 0-0 games, and it is hard top play ice hockey defensive for 3 x 20 minutes.

Anyway, congratulations to Portugal. To win the final without the world's best player on the pitch is pretty amazing. Knowing the team they beat was propably the best team in the tournament.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 11, 2016 17:37

Yep, 0-0 and a moth infestation. Not a final to be remembered (except in Portugal). All credits to the organizers though. They did a great job, especially considering the terrorist threat. Well done France!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 11, 2016 17:47

Yeah, but what a crappy show before the final.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 11, 2016 17:57

Koen
Yeah, but what a crappy show before the final.

Who cares about the opening act ? smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 11, 2016 18:15

True.

Date: July 11, 2016 18:44

Football games are always full of bad calls; if one has the replay, check it out.

Koscielny, yellow card in the 107th minute for a handball, video does show ball touches Éder's hand.

[us.soccerway.com]

Now if Éder had been given the yellow card, he did touch it, the sequence of events might have been drastically different.

Portugal wrongfully given a free kick which nearly goes in, cross bar and Lloris block ball back into field of play, goes in, France gets throw in.

France then got a throw in in their own area, Portugal was able to get that throw in, Éder able to kick it in. 1-0.

Very close, but Portugal's goal might not have happened. That's how the game goes though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-11 18:50 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: July 11, 2016 19:27

Yesterday Portugal won more than a game ! Portugal won the momentum, the life, the joy! We won against the curse!

Our tactic was with no doubt inspired by the Rocky films ! We picked the first beatings, right from the beginning until the middle of the match...Our captain, one of the best in world was forced to leave the game in tears, after some rough play.That only give the team more consistence, more bravery to prove and show to our captain that he could trust us.

From time to time, we would blow a few attacks, just to put the adversary in his place, but mostly to prove to ourselves that we were still alive. And in the end ,like Rocky Marciano, the punch, the knockout, the last blow of mercy against the opponent, who was by now exhausted, tired of seing that there was no way to score agaisnt us. Portugal maybe doesn’t play the best football in the world , but it was enough to become to be the best in Europe. Congrats to France for being a great team. I´m a happy man, as you can understand.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: July 11, 2016 19:38

Parabéns ao Portugal smileys with beer

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 11, 2016 22:05

The Portugal players landed in the same plane at Lisbon Airport as the Rolling Stones two years ago on the European 14-on-Fire Tour: [www.iorr.org] .

SX-ATF Boeing 737-406 at Lisbon Airport 11-Jul-2016 11:45am UTC (Large version of this picture).

The Flight has had the special CHAMP16-Callsign within Portugal and started 11-Jul-2016 9:17am UTC in Paris-Orly as GNJ74.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-12 21:10 by Irix.

Date: July 11, 2016 22:18

Lessons learned for Ronaldo: stop faking and only fall down with a real injury.The team played much better without him.

Re: THANK YOU SILVER DAGGER
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2016 23:47

Rolling Hansie
And a very big THANK YOU to Silver Dagger for starting this thread and the prediction game. It was fun.

Thank you guys for all taking part. Great to have had some football banter with you. Let's do it again for the next World Cup - Russia 2018.

Congratulations to Diddley Bo for being IORR Euro Prediction champion.

Date: July 11, 2016 23:54

Is Diddley Bo a poster here? If he's not: who was the best IORR member predictor?

Date: July 12, 2016 00:41

Stoneage
Is Diddley Bo a poster here? If he's not: who was the best IORR member predictor?

Yes, in the preceding page or two, the poster took a bow!

Date: July 12, 2016 00:49

BroomWagon
Stoneage

Yes, in the preceding page or two, the poster took a bow!

Sorry, I missed that.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 12, 2016 00:54

Irix
The Portugal players landed in the same plane at Lisbon Airport as the Rolling Stones two years ago on the European 14-on-Fire Tour: [www.iorr.org] .

SX-ATF Boeing 737-406 at Lisbon Airport 11-Jul-2016 11.15am (Large version of this picture)

Cool info, thanks Irix!

Portugal flight was properly identified as CHAMP16. grinning smiley

Date: July 12, 2016 01:30

The commissioner of football, Eric Cantona, has some things to say to you:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930Next
Current Page: 28 of 30

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home