Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

44 years ago today - Stones tickets go on sale
Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: May 15, 2016 17:41

May 15th 1972 Tickets for the Stones went on sale on this date. I remember how long the lines were. Everything was newspaper, radio or word of mouth. And tickets only cost $ 5.50 Ah, the good ole days.

Re: 44 years ago today - Stones tickets go on sale
Date: May 15, 2016 22:31

The Rolling Stones - always leaders in raising prices. If tickets were only $5.50 in 1972, they sure went higher quicker. Just three years later, when I saw them for the first time from the rafters at Madison Square Garden the prices had jumped to $12.50. It doesn't take a math genius to see that the prices more than doubled in three short years. And this was BEFORE the inflationary period of the Jimmy Carter years.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: May 15, 2016 22:37

AM radio mentioned that this was the best tour ever.

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: May 15, 2016 23:57

Here is an article about what it was like that day RS article from 72

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 16, 2016 00:10

HopeYouGuessMyName
The Rolling Stones - always leaders in raising prices. If tickets were only $5.50 in 1972, they sure went higher quicker. Just three years later, when I saw them for the first time from the rafters at Madison Square Garden the prices had jumped to $12.50. It doesn't take a math genius to see that the prices more than doubled in three short years. And this was BEFORE the inflationary period of the Jimmy Carter years.

I remember ticket prices being $4.50,5.50 and 6.50 (same show) for many concerts in 1972/3, so I assume the rafters would have been the $4.50 price!

For the 72 Stones shows at MSG, you had to send in postcards and be chosen for your tickets. Of course, I never was chosen. Still pissed off!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 16, 2016 00:27

tornnfrayed
May 15th 1972 Tickets for the Stones went on sale on this date. I remember how long the lines were. Everything was newspaper, radio or word of mouth. And tickets only cost $ 5.50 Ah, the good ole days.

Yes. I have a stub for the loge section at MS Garden - $6.50

Date: May 16, 2016 00:43

tornnfrayed
Here is an article about what it was like that day RS article from 72
CAN YOU IMAGINE THE 'POWER' OF THE TICKETRON COMPUTERS BACK IN 1972? It's memory was probably measured in bytes. It's speed would have been calculated using the word 'baud' which kids under the age 30 might have never even heard. It is likely that my iphone 6 is a more powerful computer than the Ticketron computers of 1972. The article does bring back the memory that in the 'old days' we didn't so much complain about the price - we complained only about the availability. Successfully buying a Rolling Stones ticket was akin to winning the lottery. This is in stark contrast to the show that I saw in Chicago a few years ago when I was able to score one ticket at the actual box office at showtime. THAT NEVER HAPPENED IN THE OLD DAYS.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 16, 2016 02:01

tornnfrayed

Yeah - My first Stones show was in 1978. Price was 12.50! And you had to go to a physical Ticketmaster location to get them....then after that...
1981 - 15.00
1989 - 65.00?
2002 - 90.00
2005 -250.00! for good seats!
2006 - 65.00 for far end nosebleeds!

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 16, 2016 02:18

I was there, standing in line for tickets to the Winterland shows in SF. The line was out the department store (from the second floor), out onto the street and around the side of the building. The Ticketron computers broke down the very first minute the sale began. I know this because I walked through the crowds and right up to the ticket windows and watched the proceedings. Every 10 minutes or so ONE order could be placed. People had been issued small printed paper numbers based on their place in line. I had a number like 265 - no chance. I started scouring the floor and trash cans for discarded numbers. I found a 43, and got in!

I recall at least one fight, and hundreds of freaky people camped out in the furniture section near the ticket window, smoking and doing God knows what else. The general public gave that area a wide, wide berth that day. Probably a good idea.

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: May 16, 2016 04:04

I purchased 4 tickets, most likely on the opening ticket sale day of March 15 of '72, although now I do not remember where or how except that they were bought in Fort collins, CO for the Denver show at the Denver Colliseum. I was lucky to get seats somewhere in the range of row 10 to 14, center. The show turned out to be the highlight of a lifetime of concert going. What a show! And Stevie Wonder was great too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2044
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home