Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Best digital camera for concert video...what do you guys use?
Posted by: snorton ()
Date: May 5, 2016 01:34

All my recent Canon purchases have turned out poorly, the sounds gets so distorted!

I had a small Canon years ago that worked fine but now the newer models are wrothless for video.

I'm going to The Who this month and if I find decent seats...I might shoot some video.

What do you guys use?

Re: Best digital camera for concert video...what do you guys use?
Date: May 5, 2016 03:23

Panasonic HC-V750K camcorder.

Maybe an older Hitachi mini Blu-ray camcorder if you can find one.

I would definitely use a dedicated camcorder,though,as opposed to a digital camera where the video functionality is a secondary accentuation in the design.

Either way,get one with a recording microphone input if sound quality is a priority. The HC-V750K has the input but,the recording microphone is sold separately.

The Canon Vixia HF R600 camcorder is supposed to be pretty good as well but,Canon's real strong suit is in still photos.

If you have a high budget,then you could start considering the BlackMagic Design 4k models.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 5, 2016 03:31

Do they allow video cameras into the venues? I see most people using their
digital cameras or phones for video.

I shoot still photos and use a canon or a Leica. The lens can not be removable
or security will assume the camera is professional grade and will not be allowed
in the venue.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 5, 2016 15:05

They do NOT allow video recording. I have seen security people stopping video cameras, while regular still image cameras in use are no worries as long as the camera fits into your pocket.

Bjornulf

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: May 5, 2016 16:16

Taking a few pictures is cool, but people who record the whole show on their smart phones are so annoying and disrespectful to those around them.

Enjoy the moment!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-05 16:16 by jabhead.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 5, 2016 22:09

Bless the people who take their time and effort to record video at concerts and post the results to Youtube so people who were unable to go can enjoy what happened, if only on video, thank you all very very much smileys with beer...

...and to those who think and love to proclaim publicly how annoying and disrespectful recording is to those around them at shows, be sure to NEVER watch (not even 1 second of) any concert footage recorded and posted by the good people who take their time and effort to post it.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 5, 2016 23:29

jabhead
Taking a few pictures is cool, but people who record the whole show on their smart phones are so annoying and disrespectful to those around them.

Enjoy the moment!

Agreed.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 6, 2016 04:38

Haven't filmed concerts but we have a Nikon P900 that takes awesome pictures.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 6, 2016 05:57

Thommie
jabhead

Enjoy the moment!

Agreed.

Agreed again

Date: May 6, 2016 08:19

snorton
All my recent Canon purchases have turned out poorly, the sounds gets so distorted!

I had a small Canon years ago that worked fine but now the newer models are wrothless for video.

I'm going to The Who this month and if I find decent seats...I might shoot some video.

What do you guys use?

I still use my old Canon SD1000 which has never failed me yet, but it is SD, but for posting videos on Youtube it works well, especially for the how-to videos I post there. And the photos it takes are really good.

My old SD1000 has worked good for concerts, it is small and... but is it SD and I have been asking your same question for a while now. So when I have seen someone have some great video/pictures, especially with a great zoom-in that is very clear feature I asked them about the camera.

I have been keeping an eye on the ""sony cyber shot dsc hx"" family of cameras since they were the "Sony cyber shot dsc hx50"", then 100, then 200, then 300 and now I see they are up to Sony cyber shot dsc hx400 [www.bhphotovideo.com]

One time I saw a Youtube video with great zoom footage of The Stones zoomed-in from the upper balcony and it was clear and bright and sounded good. I asked him about his camera and he said he used the Sony cyber shot dsc hx50, and also said he was soon upgrading to the hx100. That was several years ago.

My old camera has worked so well, never broken yet and I have not had enough money to splurge so I have not moved on yet. But I will some day and I will try Canon again, to see what they have.. but if i saw a good deal on an older, working, well cared for Sony cyber shot dsc hx I would jump on it.

BTW- No matter which camera you go for, B&H photo [www.bhphotovideo.com] out of New York is a great place to get great deal and save on sales tax. They talk fast and you want to know what you want when you call, but the prices are good and they backed their products when I had a problem one time.

I hope you find a camera that works well for you, and I (for one, maybe the only one here) look forward to seeing the videos you post of concerts which I can not attend. Thank you in advance for posting taking you time and effort to capture the coolness before allowing the sights and sounds to evaporate into the cosmos for ever gone.

moment schmoment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-06 08:23 by jambay.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: May 6, 2016 13:19

Iave good experiences with my Sony DSC-P150. Its about 10 years old, but still happy with it smiling smiley Only need to replace the battery someday lol

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: May 7, 2016 07:01

bv
They do NOT allow video recording. I have seen security people stopping video cameras, while regular still image cameras in use are no worries as long as the camera fits into your pocket.

A workaround would be to get a video camera that looks like a still image camera or that looks like a smart phone.

I just found this : * [www.blackmagicdesign.com] * (the device on the left side of the picture in the link) . It connects to any regular digital camera with an HDMI port. 5 inch HD model or 7 inch UHD 4k model. Neither one of them look much like a video camera.

Date: June 13, 2016 18:21

jambay
Bless the people who take their time and effort to record video at concerts and post the results to Youtube so people who were unable to go can enjoy what happened, if only on video, thank you all very very much smileys with beer...

...and to those who think and love to proclaim publicly how annoying and disrespectful recording is to those around them at shows, be sure to NEVER watch (not even 1 second of) any concert footage recorded and posted by the good people who take their time and effort to post it.

Agreed, don't watch if don't want it filmed.

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: June 13, 2016 19:56

I use in concerts a SONY Cyber-Shot (SuperSteadyShot) DSC-W80. The sound recording is perfect; CD-Quality, but you can only 3x zoom and you can also not change the zooming while filming.

I have a newer digi-cam with 16x zoom, but with that camera is the sound recording not so great like with the old one.

Posted by: max56 ()
Date: June 13, 2016 20:16

I think a concert is
To wacht and listen to what the band plays

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 13, 2016 21:05

It's annoying to see the brightly-lit LCD screen viewfinder in front of you or on the side while you're trying to watch a show. If people could find a way to tape without using a lit-up screen and could do it discreetly, it wouldn't be as annoying/distracting. Unfortunately, I haven't seen such a set-up in use.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 13, 2016 21:07

Anyone got an idea what external mic one should use for concert recordings? My panasonic camcorder can't handle loud events very well and I need a good mic with a 3,5mm jacket.

Date: June 13, 2016 22:35

marianna
It's annoying to see the brightly-lit LCD screen viewfinder in front of you or on the side while you're trying to watch a show. If people could find a way to tape without using a lit-up screen and could do it discreetly, it wouldn't be as annoying/distracting. Unfortunately, I haven't seen such a set-up in use.

It would be a good idea to turn down the screen brightness. Easy to do from the popup menu on an iphone.

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: June 14, 2016 20:15

I would research the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50, also sold as the Panasonic DMC-TZ70 in some parts of the world.

It can enter concerts as it is not a "camcorder", but rather a digital camera with video capabilities.

The camera has a viewfinder as well as a rear screen. This is a plus.

It has 30x optical zoom, and an above average rated stabilization system. These are pluses also.

Does not have wacked-out high pixel count either, but rather a sensible 12.1 megapixel, adjustable downward, so that more time can be recorded. Panasonic and reviewers explain the advantages of using a sensible pixel count rather than wacked-out high pixel count which is the "style" with people who do not know.

One needs to read online by googling this camera. It is often times overlooked by people, and has several features that outperform it's competitors or are not available on competitor's cameras.

Note however, that I have not personally used this camera at a concert. It is simply my opinion that this camera would be an excellent candidate for that purpose.

It is about US$450 in the USA, so it is a little above average in price.

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: June 14, 2016 22:30

I had good results with the Sony DSC HX20v

video: [www.youtube.com]

Out of Control Dusseldorf. The wobbly effect is due to Youtube. Sorry about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5P_YTNVLmw

You Got the Silver Pinkpop

It is small, switches on almost immediately and has great stabilisation. Sound is ok. A downside of the sony is that it takes time to process photos, so it is not immediately ready for the next still image.

After that Sony died last year I switched back to Lumix TZ70 by Panasonic, but I must say I regret that a little bit. The Panasonic loses focus a lot. Unfortunately the T70 was in repair when I went to Cuba.

This is (OT) footage of the T70:
[youtu.be]

Please be considerate towards people around you. Don't hold the cam higher than necessary.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-14 22:48 by Promoman2.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: June 15, 2016 15:18

bv
how true.

Posted by: tomy1 ()
Date: June 15, 2016 16:09

What would be a good non-video camera for concerts? One that would not show the washed look on the faces of the performers?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 15, 2016 16:19

jabhead

Enjoy the moment!

Agreed. And it's amazing that people go to a show, get a nice spot to watch it live, and instead look through a 5 inch screen the entire time. And incredibly annoying to those around them, beyond belief.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 15, 2016 18:13

Promoman2
I had good results with the Sony DSC HX20v

video: [www.youtube.com]

Out of Control Dusseldorf. The wobbly effect is due to Youtube. Sorry about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5P_YTNVLmw

You Got the Silver Pinkpop

It is small, switches on almost immediately and has great stabilisation. Sound is ok. A downside of the sony is that it takes time to process photos, so it is not immediately ready for the next still image.

After that Sony died last year I switched back to Lumix TZ70 by Panasonic, but I must say I regret that a little bit. The Panasonic loses focus a lot. Unfortunately the T70 was in repair when I went to Cuba.

This is (OT) footage of the T70:
[youtu.be]

Please be considerate towards people around you. Don't hold the cam higher than necessary.

Same Sony for me. See YouTube jeffou67 with midnight rambler O2 150000 views.

This Sony is perfect although Rx 100 is better.

Hellfest allows the reflex camera. Even pro. So I might shoot this week end with an Olympus E410. An old one which makes the job.
A few vids with the Sony too but main shows are aired thanks to Arte TV channel.

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 16, 2016 01:31

[www.youtube.com]

here's a great link to a Camera used to film concerts - will fit in your pocket too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-16 11:51 by midimannz.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: June 16, 2016 11:41

tomy1
What would be a good non-video camera for concerts? One that would not show the washed look on the faces of the performers?

I use a Sony DSC-RX100 and get nice results. Not quite as good as a digital SLR, but in the same ballpark. Good low light performance and the option to shoot in RAW format. Limited zoom, but quality of image is superb and it fits in your pocket. Sony have now produced a Mark 4 version and it sells for about £750. I still use the Mark 1 as the upgrades haven't made it a better camera for gigs IMHO. I found a new Mark1 on ebay for a friend recently for about £250 - a great deal and you'll find a used one much cheaper.

It works best at front of stage in small clubs. You're not going to get great shots at stadium or arena gigs with it unless you are almost onstage with the band. A DSLR with your longest telephoto is your best bet there - I have used a 400mm - but I wouldn't risk trying to smuggle a rig like that into most gigs. The Sony is a lot of camera for its size. Security have found mine and always let me through because it looks like a point and shoot, but it will give you near pro quality in the right circumstances.

Date: June 17, 2016 05:41

MidnightDevilRambler
jambay

Agreed, don't watch if don't want it filmed.

Thanks,
smileys with beer

Bless the people who take their time and effort to record video at concerts and post the results to Youtube so people who were unable to go can enjoy what happened, if only on video, thank you all very very much

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 19, 2016 04:15

This clip looks pretty good and it mentions what camera used.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 19, 2016 18:26

I would say the best camera to take in is the Canon SX-60. It has a 60x optical zoom, translating to 240mm at f5.6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2185
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home