Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OP: (not political) What's with Trump and these Stones songs?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 4, 2016 07:49

Real conservatives should be ashamed of Donald Trump and worried about nominating him as their candidate (not just) for using rock music at his campaign rallies with lurid, inappropriate sexually explicit lyrics like: "You make a dead man cum".

My, oh my. It's disgusting.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:35

As I'm sure somebody has already posted, he's also been playing Sympathy for the Devil, which now seems even more horribly appropriate.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: May 4, 2016 08:49

As long as he pays them enough they'll shot their mouths 'n' take the money.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:14

Get off of my Cloud should be an appropriate campaign song for Trump..

2 1 2 0

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 4, 2016 11:55

It might be the only occasion that there is finally a point to the song "Must Be Hell".

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 4, 2016 16:10

mpj200
It's odd because they all seem to hate Trump. I'm surprised there hasn't been a cease and desist.

People seem to keep saying that but I've not seen any quotes to that effect.

And even if so, is it possible they don't care (I know i don't and can't see why anyone else does).

And then even if they cared, is it possible there is no cease and desist option?

And let's say they even have a right to cease and desist, do they really care to be troubled with that either?

To me it's all much ado about nothing. I find it funny that because someone plays a song, many seem to think that implies he has the backing of that band.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:06

Stones50
Hillary's song would have to include words like "evil" (Evil Woman); destructive,; liar (Lying Eyes); Accessory (See Bengazi; Money (Wall street); Phony (See what her son in law does); Cheater (See husband)
Talk about mangled syntax...you must be taking grammar lessons from Sarah Palin.

Better double your dosage, Jim Bob.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:14

They never gave permission to Angela Merkel (Germany) for her to use "Angie" in her campain (she did, and had to stop doing that because of it.)

It IS a bit dubious to me, though; the concept of giving (& needing) permission is obvious - but do the Stones withstand all use of their songs for (& because of) political motives, or just the ones they don't agree with, or just the ones where they didn't get paid for it?!

Not suggesting nor attempting to polemise anything; just asking.

And not really interested in seeing some of you having yet another go at "these money-grabbing Rolling Stones!!", quite frankly... Yeah, we know by now they love money; that they are really smart & succesful businessmen ...and that they are in the posession of a very valuable body of work as well. I'm much more looking for some real insight on this!
So all solid feedback about their position/ policy towards this is really appreciated.

P.S.: I found this one on the internet, dated Feb. '16, very much on topic...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 17:16 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:50

KEITH: "I do find him [Donald Trump] refreshing. He’s cut through a lot of crap, and eventually ... well, can you imagine President Trump? The worst nightmare. But we can’t say that. Because it could happen. This is one of the wonders of this country. Who would’ve thought Ronald Reagan could be president?"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:06

Today I heard that a lot of Republicans will vote democratic as they can't digest Trump............

Shit I just read the subject line: (not political) Satisfaction to all of you.....................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 22:09 by NICOS.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:20

stupidguy2
And before the mods delete this, this is not meant to be political, just curious.

Yeah but there will always be some clowns that can't resist...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:29

Koen
stupidguy2
And before the mods delete this, this is not meant to be political, just curious.

Not me...I'd rather look at remedies for under eye bags than read about Trump, or anything to do with the election right now. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 22:43 by latebloomer.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:39

keefriff99
whitem8
CNN did a segment yesterday with the writer of The Sun, the Moon, and The Rolling Stones. This focused on how many times politicians use songs and don't realize what the lyrics are saying on the songs. Like Trump playing Brown Sugar before a press conference "the song is about slavery and heroine." Classic.
You think that was an accident on Trump's part?

Whipping black women for sport is right up his constituents' alley.

Oh Hillary shame on you.

The OP was asking an honest question trying/asking for it not to become political.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:59

latebloomer
Koen
stupidguy2

Not me...I'd rather look at remedies for under eye bags than read about Trump, or anything to do with the election right now. cool smiley

Is it working latebloomer? Try as I might, I can't seem to avoid the 2016 Election Farce Hoopla. I'm seriously thinking of having a T-Shirt made that reads something along the lines of: "If you insist on talking politics, I'M VOTING YOU OFF MY ISLAND!"

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:05

Whether or not mick might be a republican is open to debate. But he and especially Keith are certainly not trump fans according to this.
[www.independent.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 23:08 by sjs12.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:10

they're going out in october, just in time to let everyone who asks know what a jackass they think he is. expect the AC 1989 press conference story to make the news every tour stop.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:18

what do you know...no sympathy for the dumbass.

[www.yahoo.com]

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:19

Come On
Get off of my Cloud should be an appropriate campaign song for Trump..

I heard they're coming out with a Trump Campaign Album for the election, including:

Intro: Excerpt from Fanfare for the Billionaire
Oh No, Not You Again
Biggest Mistake
Mean Disposition
Turd on the Run
Respectable
Luxury/ Black Limousine Medley
No Expectations
No Use in Crying
Worried About USA
All About You
I Ain't Lying
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Lies
Extro: Excerpt from Pink Floyd's The Wall

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 4, 2016 23:21

mr_dja
latebloomer
Koen
stupidguy2

Is it working latebloomer? Try as I might, I can't seem to avoid the 2016 Election Farce Hoopla. I'm seriously thinking of having a T-Shirt made that reads something along the lines of: "If you insist on talking politics, I'M VOTING YOU OFF MY ISLAND!"

Peace,
Mr DJA

Yep, it's getting kinda hairy out there Mr DJA....might have to resort to watching reruns of The Waltons soon. GOODNIGHT, John-Boy!!

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: May 5, 2016 00:03

Ok, they do not agree. My compliments!
[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 5, 2016 00:23

Rolling Stones to Donald Trump: Don't "Start Me Up" at your events

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 5, 2016 00:35

Jerry's new husband is pro Somebody.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 5, 2016 01:00

If you go on the Paddy Power website you can take odds on the size of Trump's manhood.
Its all showbiz.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 5, 2016 02:10

Stones50
Hillary's song would have to include words like "evil" (Evil Woman); destructive,; liar (Lying Eyes); Accessory (See Bengazi; Money (Wall street); Phony (See what her son in law does); Cheater (See husband)

you're the same guy that made the Whoooo? comment. yes you are crass indeed

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: May 5, 2016 02:12

Stones50

Whats your IQ?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 5, 2016 07:20

The key point I was wondering about, and figured was the case, from the article: "Political campaigns don't need artists' permission to play their songs at rallies"

There you have it, no point to even comment on it, Stones songs played is not up to the Stones (and it seems they have 'asked' him to stop) so it is not an implication that Stones endorse the person -- and thus no reason to btch & moan about it.

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: May 5, 2016 08:30

Rolling Stones ask Trump to stop using their songs at campaign events
Band released a statement asking the presumptive Republican presidential nominee to ‘cease all use immediately’ after Trump played two of their songs.

The rock band said they have not given permission to the Trump campaign to use their songs.

The Rolling Stones have asked presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump to stop playing their songs at his campaign events.

In a statement Wednesday, the rock band said they have not given permission to the Trump campaign to use their songs and “have requested that they cease all use immediately”.

A Trump campaign spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment or say whether they had a license to play their songs.

Trump, an avid music fan, has featured Rolling Stones songs at his rallies for months as part of a diverse soundtrack that includes Elton John, opera and classic rock songs. The Rolling Stones’ 1969 classic You Can’t Always Get What You Want was a popular song for his events, and during an event on Tuesday night, the campaign played Start Me Up.

Adele and Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler both asked the candidate to stop using their recorded songs to fire up crowds. Neil Young also objected when the real estate mogul used Rockin’ in the Free World during his campaign kickoff announcement last year. In those cases, the Trump campaign stopped using the songs.

Political campaigns don’t need artists’ permission to play their songs at rallies as long as the political organization or the venue has gotten what’s known as a blanket license from the performing rights organizations Ascap and BMI for all the music in the licensing group’s repertoire.

But artists do have some recourse. BMI, for example, has said it has a provision in its license agreement that allows BMI songwriters or publishers to object to the use of their songs and they have the ability to exclude those songs from the blanket license.

Date: May 5, 2016 10:45

When Bianca Jagger and Andy Warhol interviewed President Ford's son, Jack, at the White House for Interview Magazine, Mick was invited to go along, but he declined, fearing the visit might look like he endorsed President Ford.

Posted by: BostonBob ()
Date: May 5, 2016 10:57

They should play Doom and Gloom

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: May 5, 2016 20:55

Paulhanrahan
Rolling Stones ask Trump to stop using their songs at campaign events
Band released a statement asking the presumptive Republican presidential nominee to ‘cease all use immediately’ after Trump played two of their songs.

The rock band said they have not given permission to the Trump campaign to use their songs.

The Rolling Stones have asked presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump to stop playing their songs at his campaign events.

In a statement Wednesday, the rock band said they have not given permission to the Trump campaign to use their songs and “have requested that they cease all use immediately”.

A Trump campaign spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment or say whether they had a license to play their songs.

Trump, an avid music fan, has featured Rolling Stones songs at his rallies for months as part of a diverse soundtrack that includes Elton John, opera and classic rock songs. The Rolling Stones’ 1969 classic You Can’t Always Get What You Want was a popular song for his events, and during an event on Tuesday night, the campaign played Start Me Up.

Adele and Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler both asked the candidate to stop using their recorded songs to fire up crowds. Neil Young also objected when the real estate mogul used Rockin’ in the Free World during his campaign kickoff announcement last year. In those cases, the Trump campaign stopped using the songs.

Political campaigns don’t need artists’ permission to play their songs at rallies as long as the political organization or the venue has gotten what’s known as a blanket license from the performing rights organizations Ascap and BMI for all the music in the licensing group’s repertoire.

But artists do have some recourse. BMI, for example, has said it has a provision in its license agreement that allows BMI songwriters or publishers to object to the use of their songs and they have the ability to exclude those songs from the blanket license.

I don't know how it works in USA but if you want to use publicly some music of such or such artist, do you first have to ask for authorization and then pay rights if the artist is ok ?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home