Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Knebworth 76
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 23, 2005 19:07

I've been listening to this show for about a week now. Great concert and set list. Mick seems to be really blasted. I've heard that the Stones were 2 hours late. What was the reason for this? Also, Mick says that they never played LSTNT live before, was that true?

Re: Knebworth 76
Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: August 23, 2005 19:16

in his book "rolling with the Stones", Bill Wyman writes that the band was 4 hours late because of electrical problems that occured just a few minutes before they got on stage.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: August 23, 2005 19:18

and LSTNT was played many times late 60's with Brian Jones.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 23, 2005 19:19

They did LSTNT on Ed Sullivan but that's it. It was interesting to hear but that song was pretty much a disaster that night. Funny that you mention that Mick seems blasted. I recently showed this concert to a friend and he kept commenting about how messed up Mick looks.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: August 23, 2005 19:23

Yes there seem to be some speaker problems you
can hear on the disc, for example on Gotta Move.
Maybe that had something to do with the electrical?
The seventies Stones boots seem to be plagued
by this sometimes, even the great Oz shows,
one has an electrical buzz in it. I
remember the live audio in the SG Buffalo
78 and Oshawa CNIB 79 shows sounded aweful,
sitting in the audience at the time too. It
always surprised me that a supergroup like
the Stones could have so much trouble
with this.................

Date: August 23, 2005 19:32

this night was a disaster for the Stones because they did not get paid, according to Bill Wyman..
The promoter told them that he sold less tickets than expected
(less than 100 000).
The band gave £500 to Billy Preston and £200 to Ollie Brown.

Date: August 23, 2005 19:34

Davido,
What are the Oz shows?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 23, 2005 19:39

Oz = Australia

Date: August 23, 2005 19:41

Hound Dog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They did LSTNT on Ed Sullivan but that's it

nope..it was played throughout the 1967 European tour.

Date: August 23, 2005 20:03

thanks.
This is an interesting set list. Was there a reason for these particular songs. I know some of them were played at El Mocambo.Were the Stones going to tour in 1977 or maybe use some of these songs for Love You Live? Like Dead Flowers and Satisfaction had not been played since 1970 or 1971 right?

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: August 23, 2005 20:18

I read sometime ago in Q, that in order to enternain the crowd , they asked one roadie to go the stage and start to wank in front of everybody!!!any truth in this?? hard to believe, but coming out from Q....

Posted by: BersaGurra ()
Date: August 23, 2005 21:48

Maybe thats whats needed some drugs to get them going?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 23, 2005 22:03

The electrics were working perfectly until Stones came on. They worked perfectly for Lynyrd Skynyrd and also for 10cc (Yawn), who well outstayed their welcome but had perhaps been asked to prolong their set.

Reason Stones were late was the state of one KR.

There were far more than 100,000 people there, nearer 200,000. The largest crowd ever in UK, they said on the P.A. As the Stones were the main attraction it seems strange that they would not get paid while (presumably) the other acts did.

They were late and tired and so was the crowd. I remember Jagger trying to get the crowd going but failed. Then they more or less went through the paces. A few highlights. Wild Horses perhaps. The liveliest bit was Billy Preston's set.

It was the culmination of their Europaean tour. That's why they pulled out some special numbers. Route66, LSTNT, Stray Cat, Around and Around. It was because the revival of some of these 'obscurer' numbers that they then re-surfaced at El Mocambo.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 23, 2005 22:30

Always heard Skynyrd was better than the Stones that day.

Date: August 23, 2005 22:48

it was bad luck for the Stones that day ! big troubles with the sound.
that had a bad effect on the quality of the concert.

"There were far more than 100,000 people there, nearer 200,000. The largest crowd ever in UK, they said on the P.A. As the Stones were the main attraction it seems strange that they would not get paid while (presumably) the other acts did. "

like Four Stone Walls, I hardly believe that story written in Bill's book.
maybe they were "underpaid" or less than expected.

Date: August 23, 2005 23:03

Indeed Elmo, Lynyrd Skynyrd were the day's highlight. Very hard to top that.

I remember enjoying Todd Rundgren too.

btw many people left before the Stones came on - i.e those who weren't camping or who did not have their own transport home.

The camping was memorable. The days of the one-quid deal! (Enough for two or three 'numbers').

Posted by: terry ()
Date: August 23, 2005 23:51

well i was there that day in 76..and what a cock up...the stones came on about 12-30 am...there was along wait for 10cc to come on stage..then they tried to do a rock n roll set. and pissed the crowed right off...they didnt want to get off stage..f...... w...... they @#$%& up and the stones got the blame...and as for the crowd..well i was at hyde park in 69 and that was a massive crowd..and ive been to a few shows at knebworth..and i will say theres were nearer two hundred thousand at knebworth...ive heard many rumours about that day..alot of it is rubbish

Date: August 24, 2005 00:02

so, would you say terry that the Stones had the worst sound of the whole day ?

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 24, 2005 00:06

i like Route 66 & Wild horses from that gig ,,,the rest of the show ,,u can have it

Date: August 24, 2005 00:12

well four stone walls sums up the day well...in reply to stonefan i thought apart for the wait between acts i enjoyed the day...as for the sound it was ok for me....i think it was where you were standing..now a friend of mine who is a clapton fan..said he was right at the front..and he said it was fantastic..but the crowd was large...i know when i walked to the back to get food..the wind would blow the sound away.

Date: August 24, 2005 00:15

the sound is always best right up front,,especially indoor areans that have bad acoustics,,,,the sound is in your face ,,nothin's in its way

Date: August 24, 2005 00:25

Oh, and something else that many may find odd......they opened with Satisfaction which was NOT a warhorse at all at the time....it was a great surprise and real treat. Had hardly been touched since '69, I think. It came back in '81. But it wasn't there in '89/90, was it? It's only relatively recently that it has become almost inevitable.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 24, 2005 00:33

it was a staple of 89/90 - they came up with that ridiculous part - "hit me one time; hit me two times...." It also was a occasional encore in '78....

Date: August 24, 2005 00:34

Jagger complains a couple times that it's cold. I like how he introduces WH, he says it's a sad song. It's interesting how people remember being at the Knebworth show.It was so long ago. I can barely remember what went on at Roseland during the Licks tour.smiling smiley I'm glad I have a boot of it or I would remember a thing except getting shut down by a woman who was an extra on the Sopranos at the after party.

Date: August 24, 2005 00:35

nice to know others on this board were there...it was a nice sunny day..but i think the trouble was buiding during the day..there was to long wait between acts..so the time the stones came on it was very late...i do have some of this on super 8 vidio....i do remember a naked guy on stage standing by the mike playing with himself for ages..before he was removed...those were the days

Date: August 24, 2005 00:36

oncore in 72 too,,with stevie wonder ,,i was there ,,,,ya baby

Date: August 24, 2005 00:38

terry theres a very good dvd of stones @ knebworth

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 24, 2005 00:40

it certainly wasn't the "high water mark" of the Stones career - but it was cool that they added some rarities to the set - even almost playing Country Honk, until Mick figured out nobody else in the band knew it....

Date: August 24, 2005 00:44

Cafaro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks.
> This is an interesting set list. Was there a
> reason for these particular songs. I know some of
> them were played at El Mocambo.Were the Stones
> going to tour in 1977 or maybe use some of these
> songs for Love You Live? Like Dead Flowers and
> Satisfaction had not been played since 1970 or
> 1971 right?
>

well..it wasnt really a tour show as it took place two months after the European tour ended.....the show was also almost an hour longer than most European gigs that year so I guess they just decided to mix the setlist up a bit

I think the El Mocambo gigs were relatively short notice (they planned to do about five but cut them to just two)

Date: August 24, 2005 00:56

Ah yes, ofcours Satisfaction was part of SW/UJ.

Why do I remember 1976 better than 1990?!

Well, '76 was a belter of a summer. The hottest on record in UK I think.

I do have a CD boot of the show - and I am not being funny - Billy Preston's bit was the liveliest. When I first heard it a few years back i thought, "Is that really Keith and Ronnie playing those lively guitars' - so much sharper than anything in the Stones' set.

I recently got much of the show on video and couldn't help thinking what a complacent and sloppily arrogant performer MJ was then. He's so much better now.
He might well have been a bit under some influence. Friends said they saw him popping pills on stage on the '76 tour. Probably the low-point of their career really.
(At least they weren't really 'together' in the eighties lay-off period).

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home