Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shattered
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 23, 2005 11:27

I just saw the video it looks pretty good but I want to hear Ron and Keith sing the SHIDOOBEE's! And WHAT THE HELL did Ronnie do to the solo?!?!

Re: Shattered
Posted by: stillife ()
Date: August 23, 2005 12:33

This is one of those songs where we can see that the stones are not the same. Compare it to the 81 version. This song demands energy and raw guitars and now is just a copy of the studio version.

Posted by: millerman ()
Date: August 23, 2005 13:03

Don't agree with you stilife. The 81 version is much too fast, more or less a mess, I think. This was the first version since 78 where i think the tempo and sound was what it should be. But then again, just my opinion.

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: August 23, 2005 13:11

Of course everyone has the right to have their own opinion. But I like that "mess" from 81. That healthy crazy mess.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 23, 2005 13:48

What was great about the '81 version was the Watts/Wyman engine, (esp Watts). But on the Still Life version Jagger's vocals were pretty shot - just ended up shouting 'Shidoobee' in a rather croaky, uncommitted/unconvincing manner.

I've yet to hear the new one.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 23, 2005 18:23

>and now is just a copy of the studio version

Lucky enough if Ron could nail that again!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 23, 2005 18:29

Saw a 2 minute clip of this too yesterday. This version seemed to swing way better than I heard before (i.e. 1981, 1982, 1994 and 1995)

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 24, 2005 03:28

Such a studio job that it's hard to get the proper sound live (see "Satisfaction", "IORR", etc.). This ain't Journey. Enjoy anything you get to hear from these legends nowadays.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 24, 2005 06:27

Well, I'm assuming Chuck (since it seems to be his and Mick's band now)
counts it in with his little digital timer. That's why it seemed a little
stiff to me, the brief sequence I heard. I always liked the punk-frantic way
they played it in '78 and '81-'82. Different from the record, but enough
to get the message across. Keith started those tunes off, but those days
are long gone now.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 24, 2005 07:02

jaggers in fine voice on this 1,,,keith's nice & loud,,,woodys solo needs work,,,alot of it,,,charlie's drum rolls,,,well classic stuff,,,i like this version better than 81 or 94,,,,

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 28, 2005 06:01

MSG

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 28, 2005 06:12

"What the hell did Ronnie do to the solo?"
You know I play a little and IMO there are plenty ways to make a solo talk regardless of the damn key it's in. It;s all about attitude. And although Ron put on that whole grimacing, guitar between his legs kind of thing - if he is lost he is LOST. He can outright butcher a song. (Eg Hand of Fate in 03). I know he can hear p;enty up there. Stones must have the best monitor system around. So how come he gets lost so often?
That solo for "Shattered" is in a real symathetic guitarrist key. Meaning anyone who's been playing electric guitar for a while could fake their way through those changes and come out sounding like Jeff Beck.
Grab a couple of notes on the G and B string and bend those suckers into submission!

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: August 28, 2005 10:16

Yeah, there are about a billion ways to play a solo.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 28, 2005 16:06

This song should be erased from the worlds memory. It sounds stupid on the album its sounds stupid live and I have never seen a good crowd response. I live in a city of die hard stones fans and I do not know one person who likes it. To me its like Algebra either you get it or you don't. I DON"T GET IT.

I'll give my right arm if they drop it completely.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: August 28, 2005 16:33

Shattered is a Stones classic. A great song all the way and great to hear them play anytime. When the Some Girls LP came out Shattered was the favorite college fraternity drinking song as well. If you "do not know one person who likes it" Virgil, then you must live in a very isolated world. I have never seen anyone post that the don't like it until this year on this board.

Date: August 28, 2005 17:37

Shattered 8-23-'05 sounded fantastic to me.I wonder why RS.com chose the 8-21 version.

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: August 28, 2005 17:46

This song (studio version) sounds raw and messy, but is very arranged and subtle... (it still seems I can never really figure out where that shaydoobee chorus will turn up, so it's always a surprise with me) like many other Stones classics in fact... that also might not have made it so big with the largest crowds. I had barely heard of Shattered here in Quebec when it came out.
To me it's like the novel ryhtmic structure behind tracks like Star, Star and IORnR. Things that set these apart from normal RnR songs. Those are classics... equal not necessarily true warhorses.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 28, 2005 18:15

city of die hard stone fans not liking shattered,,,u must b mistaken,, they r springsteen fans

Posted by: toko ()
Date: August 28, 2005 18:20

Odd-beat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This song (studio version) sounds raw and messy,
> but is very arranged and subtle...

One thing that makes it hard to pull off live: Listen
to the kick drum on the studio version. The credits
give it to Ronnie. It's up in the mix, and there is
no real pattern to when it gets hit. And Mick's voice
on "up up up up UP!!!" is so silly it's great. And he'd
throw his voice out doing it live, but for me those two
things--the odd groove and Mick's quirky vocals-- make
the song. Live, it's like a dull version of "Whip".

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 28, 2005 18:26

whether you prefer '81 version vs. '05 is a matter of subjectivity - what isn't a matter of subjectivity - Ronnie could (and did) nail the solo in '81; no longer the case. I don't mind this slowed down version, though - it certainly harkens back to the album version - and I personally know alot of folks who dig that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home