Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ranking The Compilations
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 6, 2016 16:47

I loved Made In The Shade and Sucking In The 70's. But I especially loved Metamorphosis. Man, this list is dreadfully written and foolish. I can agree with #1, but my order of the rest would be completely different. It is clear to me a non-fan put the list together.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 6, 2016 16:58

I think most fans' introduction to the band is a compilation album and people are naturally going to gravitate towards the first one they heard for sentimental reasons.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 6, 2016 17:15

No particular order ...

................................................................................

................................................................................

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 6, 2016 17:29

HMS
GRRR! is the best compilation ever released by any band.

Bunk.

Date: April 6, 2016 17:31

treaclefingers
Can we agree made in the shade was the most pointless?

No! It was their first compilation. BLACK AND BLUE was no where near being finished. They were under the belief that they needed something but it was probably more of an aspect of ABKCO releasing METAMORPHOSIS than anything.

And it's a killer comp.

Date: April 6, 2016 17:41

Hot Rocks
Rewind
Sucking In The 70s
Made In The Shade
Time Waits For No One

Whether some of those are unnecessary in the Stones cannon, they are certainly not all the same regarding the usual tracks (even though Brown Sugar is on three of those). I put HOT ROCKS instead of ROLLED GOLD simply because of its classic status and for not having so much material on it. And it's sequenced great as well, with sides 3 and 4 being the best 2 sides of any compilation ever released.

FORTY LICKS was nice but not necessary (other than its historical aspect of ABKCO and Virgin having their respected catalogues on the same release) especially with ABKCO reissuing the 1960s catalogue that year. What should've been FIFTY LICKS was completely unnecessary. That stupid monkey album is pathetic - horrible mastering, some bad tracks and... a horrible title and cover.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 7, 2016 01:33

LeonidP
treaclefingers
Hairball
Maindefender
treaclefingers
Can we agree made in the shade was the most pointless?

Lol please don't MITS was one of my first introductions to the Stones. Love the songs, the album cover and the title!!

I too have a soft spot for Made in the Shade as it was the first Stones album I ever bought back in '75!!!

how about we compromise and agree that mits is the most pointless compilation that exudes the most sentimentality?

I'm w/ Hairball ... when I bought Made In The Shade, I had no clue it was a compilation. To me it was my next great Stones album. I recall being confused back then when I got albums like Goats Head and IORR, having some of the same songs... it wasn't until I bought a Stones book that I figured out the order and that this was basically a hits album. Actually I was pretty new to music, I don't think i was even aware bands put out 'hit' albums back then.

So the fact that i played my MITS 8-track a few hundred times, I cannot call it pointless!

I think you're letting your sentimentality show. You've been backgammoned. Check mate my friends. YAHTZEE!

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: April 7, 2016 08:04

My first stones album I got from an uncle who put it on a cassette for me was Stones Story aka Rolled Gold.played it hours after hours, day after day

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home