Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

M & K - a bromance ahead of its time
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 2, 2016 00:25

Interesting article. Enjoy.

[www.vanityfair.com]

Re: M & K - a bromance ahead of its time
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 2, 2016 01:10

Good article.
Thanks for posting.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 2, 2016 01:41

Yes, thank you, looking forward to the book as well--

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 2, 2016 02:02

Thank you. Quality article. Very good read.

Date: April 2, 2016 02:53

By the way, doesn't it seem like it's all patched up with old age/ mini tours/ kick off 2012/ maybe after L'wren's death/ friends again with wisdom/ acceptance/ new album even?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 2, 2016 03:59

But what does mean "complacence"... ? eye rolling smiley

Date: April 2, 2016 04:16

A question, and I'm not trying to be snarky/ I actually already pre-ordered this book, but,
does Mr. Cohen still work for Mr. Jagger on Vinyl show? Or has Mr. Cohen's writing been finished/ was the actual screenplay, now series is launched, Mr. Cohen not working for Jagger anymore?
I ask, because it would seem to me, Mick would not bless this book release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-02 04:18 by 35love.

Posted by: woodyweaving ()
Date: April 2, 2016 04:18

This articled seemed to articulate many of the feelings I had but not fully realised regarding the band. It had a refreshing approach too which was nice, rather than the same format many writers/journalists seem to apply when talking about the stones.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 2, 2016 05:06

35love
By the way, doesn't it seem like it's all patched up with old age/ mini tours/ kick off 2012/ maybe after L'wren's death/ friends again with wisdom/ acceptance/ new album even?

I thought the same, seems like the article is a little dated now. Wisdom and acceptance...that's about right, 35.

Posted by: elwoodpdowd ()
Date: April 2, 2016 08:52

Thanks for posting. Much better article than the one in The Telegraph.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 2, 2016 08:57

Despite the thread title, this is a great extract. Contrast this with the UK tabloid piece and it seems like two very different books.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 2, 2016 09:37

Nice although it's nothing we haven't heard/discussed before...the idea that the music died with the friendship is interesting or that Sticky is alive and Wheels is a "product". Not sure about getting the book, sounds like it could be depressing, an updated version of German"s book...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 2, 2016 09:54

Rocky Dijon
Despite the thread title, this is a great extract. Contrast this with the UK tabloid piece and it seems like two very different books.

Right--I just read the other thread, where the extract made the book sound laughable, but this extract is really pretty interesting. So now I have no idea whether to buy the book or not. confused smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 2, 2016 10:02

Aquamarine
Rocky Dijon

Right--I just read the other thread, where the extract made the book sound laughable, but this extract is really pretty interesting. So now I have no idea whether to buy the book or not. confused smiley

You can read an excerpt of his book on this link. smiling smiley [www.penguinrandomhouse.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 2, 2016 10:35

Wow..."the joke that this generation of rock stars played on fate, which had them marked for lives of quiet desperation in factories and insurance firms but instead set them up like medieval princes in frock coats and buckles—­a life that for centuries had been the sole entitlement of the debauched nobility."

The '94 after party account is cool too, maybe not that depressing after all!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 2, 2016 22:50

I have to say, I think this book is gonna be huge.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 2, 2016 23:59

I'm sure I'll read it, but it doesn't interest me so much because, like someone else pointed out, it's nothing that most of us here don't already know.

I'm much more interested in how they are getting along now because it's more related to what they will be doing in the future. I'd love to hear that they are close once more and working as brothers again toward a new album.

Yes, I'm probably a pollyanna. smiling smiley

Date: April 3, 2016 00:10

Cristiano Radtke
Aquamarine
Rocky Dijon

You can read an excerpt of his book on this link. smiling smiley [www.penguinrandomhouse.com]

Thanks, Cristiano! smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 3, 2016 00:51

I remember Lennon's last interview, 1980, Playboy Magazine. He made fun of the Stones, saying you couldn't wear dark eyeliner and pretend you were in a teenage gang forever. Those comments were made around the time the Stones had come back with Some Girls, and were beginning their long slide to mediocrity. We're the ones that expected them to remain frozen in time far after they were mature. We should have accepted their great Steel Wheels comeback and tour, and then let them drift off to rock Valhalla. But there was money to be made, and the suckers keep coming. Albums were retro echoes, Voodoo Lounge, A Bigger Bang, or strange attempts at current relevance that sound dated and unappealing, like Bridges to Babylon.

Every critic will eventually think he's come up with the ultimate insight when he states in one form or another that the current Stones are just parodies of the Rolling Stones. No, this is what old men do. Comfort. Comfortable set lists. Comfortable days in between gigs. Mick and Keith don't have to care about their relationship, because it doesn't matter. Travel individually. Room individually. Arrive individually. Get on that stage, do your individual part and then walk away with all that money for playing songs from a long ago era you could play in your sleep. Go open an Exhibition that once again celebrates the past, where dangerous characters like Brian Jones are safely buried.

Timing. It's what Bill Wyman had in spades.

Date: April 3, 2016 02:12

Yeah, I am not interested in negative rehash, nor do I take personally the view 'fans so naive and have been duped' because I am not a fool, thank you very much, nor are many RS followers.
We all may see it differently.
But this ( from the link) yes, I can eat that for dinner:
"I drank whiskey with Ron Wood and Bobby Keys when they got word that their friend and colleague, the pianist Nicky Hopkins, had died in Nashville. Keys grimaced, then tossed back four fingers of Jack Daniel’s, eyes filled with tears."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-03 02:14 by 35love.

Date: April 3, 2016 04:33

Furthermore, I've been reading recently some of Mr. Cohen's other works I've found online,
very interesting some of it, that's meant as a compliment, new to me.

Date: April 3, 2016 09:51

24FPS

Go open an Exhibition that once again celebrates the past, where dangerous characters like Brian Jones are safely buried.

I wonder how dangerous a character Brian would be today if he was still alive. Seems no reason he wouldn't be as "comfortable" as the others, being the same age. But of course, he's preserved in aspic as the edgy 27-year-old he will always be in our minds.

Just ruminating.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: April 3, 2016 23:54

Is money the reason why Mick doesn't mind that Keith continues to @#$%& up the intros to Start me up or Brown Sugar. Or forget how to play Happy? Love those guys anyway

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: April 4, 2016 00:36

24FPS

By leaving the Stones as they hit their commercial peak?

Olly.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 4, 2016 01:25

Olly
24FPS

By leaving the Stones as they hit their commercial peak?

By leaving when they'd passed their creative peak and were just going to play the same old same old over and over and over. Bill said that you don't get in the music game for the money. You love it, and if money comes, okay. Bill had made millions from touring by the time he quit. Hell, his restaurant is still around. How many restaurants you see last 27 years? Sure, he missed out on being even richer, but what does that mean? He's already got a couple houses. One more house would have greatly meant something to him?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 4, 2016 02:35

i liked where mick told him"you have to remember alot of these things were funny at the time.it only seemd serious and important later"

a good thing to remember for all of us as well..

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 4, 2016 04:52

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 13, 2016 23:29

Listen to a Firsthand Account of Mick Jagger and Keith Richard’s Tumultuous Friendship

In this month’s V.F. Audio edition, Rich Cohen shares an adaptation from his new book, The Sun & the Moon & the Rolling Stones.

During their decades as Rolling Stones front men, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were bandmates, businessmen, partners, competitors, and, yes, even friends.

Listen to Rich Cohen, veteran rock journalist and co-creator of Vinyl, recall the intricacies of their relationship in an exclusive narration for V.F. Audio.

The full April issue of V.F. Audio, which also includes recordings about Meryl Streep’s path to stardom, Sumner Redstone’s last chapter, and legendary New Yorker cartoonist Peter Arno, is available to download now.

Audio excerpted courtesy of Penguin Random House Audio from The Sun & the Moon & the Rolling Stones, narrated by the author, Rich Cohen.

[www.vanityfair.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1506
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home