Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: any love of Thomas Dolby?
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 21, 2016 22:37

This guy does nothing for me.

Re: OT: any love of Thomas Dolby?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2016 22:50

..... it wasn't too bad on some cassettes if ya used it with DBX ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 21, 2016 22:51

Not in favor of noise reduction…...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2016 22:55

ooooowwww yeah so keep well away from Cedar then defender

ROCKMAN

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: March 22, 2016 00:31

Love his song Hyperactive.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: March 22, 2016 00:36

[en.wikipedia.org]

After the release of "She Blinded Me With Science", Dolby Laboratories expressed concern regarding the musician's stage name. Dolby's record label refused to make him change his name, and Dolby Labs did not raise the issue again until later. After a lengthy legal battle, the court decided that Dolby Labs had no right to restrict the musician from using the name. It was agreed that the musician would not release any electronic equipment using the name.[6] (Coincidentally, inventor/founder Dr. Ray Dolby had a son named Thomas, now a novelist professionally known as Tom Dolby.)

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 22, 2016 00:43

Don't you mean "Dobly"??? grinning smiley

Date: March 22, 2016 01:22

Not a big fan but liked him because, as a Stiff collector, he was involved with Stiff in the early days doing sessions work. He's in the Barbara Gaskin Stiff video for 'It's my Party'. Saw him at the Grammy Museum several years ago and found him very entertaining with some great stories.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

If It Ain't Stiff It Ain't Worth A F**K.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-22 01:32 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 22, 2016 02:26

SomeTorontoGirl

You beat me to that quote STG! One of my favorite scenes in Spinal Tap, Jeannine complaining about the sound quality of Smell The Glove.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 22, 2016 02:40

DGA35
SomeTorontoGirl

You beat me to that quote STG! One of my favorite scenes in Spinal Tap, Jeannine complaining about the sound quality of Smell The Glove.

Ha! Glad somebody got it. Everyone but you thinks I'm demented... winking smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 22, 2016 19:33

I used to really enjoy Thomas Dolby, The Flat Earth is a very good record. Even saw him once at the Boston Orpheum and he put on an impressive show at the time, complete w. video screens shaped like his eyeglasses.
We even got his autograph that day - I have a She Blinded Me with Science EP signed. My friend didn't have anything to sign, so asked him to sign his pants. To which Dolby replied (we still laugh about it) "But that's a perfectly good pair of trousers!"
In addition to being on Lene Lovich's 'New Toy' (he's one of the writers as I recall), he also did some work w. David Bowie - playing keyboards at Bowie's Live Aid performance in London, as well as appearing at one of Bowie's Roseland shows in NY back in 2000.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 22, 2016 20:03

noughties
This guy does nothing for me.

Well formulated. thumbs up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 22, 2016 20:06

SomeTorontoGirl
DGA35
SomeTorontoGirl

Ha! Glad somebody got it. Everyone but you thinks I'm demented... winking smiley

I got it and I think you and I and DGA35 are ALL demented! In a good way though!
smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 22, 2016 20:07

jambay
[en.wikipedia.org]

After the release of "She Blinded Me With Science", Dolby Laboratories expressed concern regarding the musician's stage name. Dolby's record label refused to make him change his name, and Dolby Labs did not raise the issue again until later. After a lengthy legal battle, the court decided that Dolby Labs had no right to restrict the musician from using the name. It was agreed that the musician would not release any electronic equipment using the name.[6] (Coincidentally, inventor/founder Dr. Ray Dolby had a son named Thomas, now a novelist professionally known as Tom Dolby.)
Ha! I always thought Thomas Dolby had some connection to Surround Sound and Dolby Labs, especially considering the song "She Blinded Me With Science"...I figured the guy was some kind of electronics genius.

Hilarious.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: March 22, 2016 20:43

keefriff99
jambay
[en.wikipedia.org]

Ha! I always thought Thomas Dolby had some connection to Surround Sound and Dolby Labs, especially considering the song "She Blinded Me With Science"...I figured the guy was some kind of electronics genius.

Hilarious.

Me too, that is exactly why when the was brought I did a search and... voila.
I guess the whole "he is that guy's son" "rumor" got started back in the day because Ray Dolby actually has a son names Thomas, or something, and with no internet back then we were blinded by not having the science.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 23, 2016 12:15

mr_dja
SomeTorontoGirl
DGA35
SomeTorontoGirl

I got it and I think you and I and DGA35 are ALL demented! In a good way though!
smileys with beer

"Too much f'n perspective if you ask me" >grinning smiley<

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 23, 2016 16:33

Around the time of the release of the IORR album, Keith had a quote about the sound: "F--king Dolbys!"

As for Thomas, that's a prime example of early 80's New Wave Techno made popular on MTV and KROQ (in LA). Not much feeling there (more like a nerdy anti-feeling) and now it just brings back a memory of that time.

It was kind of sad when groups had to chase that modern sound to stay current: Springsteen's "Dancing In The Dark," Rod Stewart's "Young Turks," etc.

I'll give Dolby points for his production of the Prefab Sprout album "Steve McQueen" (aka "Two Wheels Good" in the USA). Again, it is a product of the time--the 80's--and yet songs like "Faron Young" and "When Love Breaks Down" still sound good to me.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 23, 2016 23:28

Some of that 80's synthesizer music was just awful. Gave me the creeps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1928
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home