Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Where The Boys Go (New)
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 22:16

Kind of harmless filler, but occasionally that's just what I'm in the mood for.

Some of the lyrics above are wrong. The second stanza just ends on "Saturday night," and I guess you're supposed to fill in the rhyme. It's "round the pub" (not "down" ) and toward the end its "slit" and not "stick."

The "shy" line makes me think of MUSICIAN telling Keith, "Bill says you're shyer" than his image. Keith said, "We all are."

Date: March 21, 2016 22:17

"Rubbery" bass treatment. I like that. It's true. That's how it sounds thumbs up

Date: March 21, 2016 22:25

He sings "piece of ass" indeed, albeit a bit more indistinct than the rest of the line.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 21, 2016 22:29

My Stones-lyric-book says "saturday night piece of arse"

Date: March 21, 2016 22:31

HMS
My Stones-lyric-book says "saturday night piece of arse"

And that's correct. Of course it is "arse", it's as British as it gets smiling smiley

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: March 21, 2016 22:51

I like it...great rhythm section...!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 22:55

Stones at their best with this punky neo-rockabilly number. Love it!

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: March 21, 2016 23:13

For years wondered what the cab fare pop line was.
The ultimate guilty pleasure, yeah maybe. But turn it up and it always leaves you smiling. Sums up an album that gets more and more enjoyable as the years go by.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 21, 2016 23:37

For the people that hate it perhaps they don't get the fact that it's kind of the Stones thumbing their noses at the whole punk scene by making a kind of parody punkish song, if that makes any sense. And it's still a good little rocker.

I love the kind of fake sneer and implicit amusement in the singing. It's Mick and the boys saying, "Alright, we can do a little snotty-nosed toe-tapping number to make fun of all of you fake-a** punk rockers that are stapled to the chicken." At least that's what I get from the song and I am laughing along with the Rolling Stones.

You punks want punk? Listen to Stray Cat Blues and eat your hearts out.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: March 21, 2016 23:50

Great guitars, fun song all the way to end when the gals come in singing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-22 22:51 by jambay.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 21, 2016 23:51

MileHigh
For the people that hate it perhaps they don't get the fact that it's kind of the Stones thumbing their noses at the whole punk scene by making a kind of parody punkish song, if that makes any sense.

The problem is that it was at least two years too late.
It came over as sham Sham 69.

[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 22, 2016 03:52

DandelionPowderman
He sings "piece of ass" indeed, albeit a bit more indistinct than the rest of the line.

After a good listen he rather swallows the words before "arse," but so he does indeed sing those words. I thought perhaps I got a bowdlerized version like some pressings "cleaned up" the "p*ssy" line in STAR STAR.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 22, 2016 12:49

MileHigh
For the people that hate it perhaps they don't get the fact that it's kind of the Stones thumbing their noses at the whole punk scene by making a kind of parody punkish song, if that makes any sense. And it's still a good little rocker.

I love the kind of fake sneer and implicit amusement in the singing. It's Mick and the boys saying, "Alright, we can do a little snotty-nosed toe-tapping number to make fun of all of you fake-a** punk rockers that are stapled to the chicken." At least that's what I get from the song and I am laughing along with the Rolling Stones.

Maybe you're right and it was meant as parody, but I don't like parody in a rock n roll band (I don't like Faraway Eyes either, for the same reason). If I want parody, I watch Monty Python or Jiskefet (that's Dutch).

And as for "loud" or "sneering punk" or "menace" or "dangerous", I don't hear any of that in this song. It's as venomeous as Adam Ant. If you want loud punk-rock, but with good hooks and riffs, listen to this (but skip the idiot of the first 50 seconds): [www.youtube.com]

Date: March 22, 2016 18:56

The song is not merely a parody, but it's that too - like so many of the clever songs from our favourite band.

And this is a song for guitar players. What a sound! What a drive!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 22, 2016 19:23

DandelionPowderman
The song is not merely a parody, but it's that too - like so many of the clever songs from our favourite band.

thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 22, 2016 20:20

matxil
MileHigh

Maybe you're right and it was meant as parody, but I don't like parody in a rock n roll band (I don't like Faraway Eyes either, for the same reason). If I want parody, I watch Monty Python or Jiskefet (that's Dutch).

And as for "loud" or "sneering punk" or "menace" or "dangerous", I don't hear any of that in this song. It's as venomeous as Adam Ant. If you want loud punk-rock, but with good hooks and riffs, listen to this (but skip the idiot of the first 50 seconds): [www.youtube.com]

I have Always loved Dead Boys...Great Live Band...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: March 22, 2016 22:45

Great rocker here.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 23, 2016 10:12

Deltics
MileHigh
For the people that hate it perhaps they don't get the fact that it's kind of the Stones thumbing their noses at the whole punk scene by making a kind of parody punkish song, if that makes any sense.

The problem is that it was at least two years too late.
It came over as sham Sham 69.

[www.youtube.com]

Stones recorded first WTBG version the same year..1978.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 23, 2016 10:42

Classic Stones. Bawdy. Pimply. Ecstatic. Great playing. Ludicrous lyrics.

Love it. Never knew Jerry Hall was on it.

Rod

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 23, 2016 10:52

24FPS
One of the mediocre tracks on a very subpar album, well, until Undercover and Dirty Work set the new low bar.

Undercoverwas a BIG improvement in terms of musicality : the songs are more complex more sophisticated. With songs like "Where The Boys Go" it's a basic I-IV I-V boring chords structure.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 23, 2016 11:27

dcba
24FPS
One of the mediocre tracks on a very subpar album, well, until Undercover and Dirty Work set the new low bar.

Undercoverwas a BIG improvement in terms of musicality : the songs are more complex more sophisticated. With songs like "Where The Boys Go" it's a basic I-IV I-V boring chords structure.

Sure, but it's all about how you play them basic boring chords...if you able to do it like Keith it's never boring to listen...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 23, 2016 11:37

bitusa2012
Classic Stones. Bawdy. Pimply. Ecstatic. Great playing. Ludicrous lyrics.

Love it. Never knew Jerry Hall was on it.

She wasn't. The girls's names were never revealed, because they just found some random girls on the street to sing with them.

Date: March 23, 2016 11:38

dcba
24FPS

Boring like HTW, TD and Rocks Off?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 23, 2016 11:39

DandelionPowderman

Oh well, if you put it like that smiling smiley. I'll try listening to it today a couple of times and see whether I will change my mind.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 23, 2016 17:27

For me, this is The Stones' nadir.

They are doing a song with absolutely no substance and they play it bad as well.
Charlie is the one who plays worst on the track and his intro-fill are so hilariously bad played, that it sounds like a kid learning the drums for the first time.I won't even mention how bad an idea it was to hire to birds singing out of tune near the end of the track. The production sounds as a cardboardbox and the whole scenario ends up as The Stones doing a parody of their own style.

And no, I'm not kidding. I'm serious.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 23, 2016 17:38

DandelionPowderman

Boring like HTW, TD and Rocks Off?

Nah boring like a post-punk dull unimaginative effort. "Lies" seems like a symphony compared to "Where The Boys Go". Imho the more they worked on it the uglier it got : the 1st versions (RCA'78 sessions) were silly/funny. As they added arrangements (1979 sessions) to the song it just got worse.

I find it puzzling they found the need to dig out the embryonic 1978 demo and rework it in 79 and 80 to finally deem the song good enough to be put on an album.

Fortunately back then in 1979 Jagger would manage to also come up with sumptuous melodies like "Heaven" or "No Use In Crying".

Date: March 23, 2016 17:40

I guess you're not a big fan of their Mesa Boogie-sound? smiling smiley

I love Charlie's fills. Suits the song perfectly, imo.

There are a vast number of songs where the Stones don't sound like accomplished musicians, though. Many of those songs are great just the same. Part of why I love this band.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: March 23, 2016 18:05

matxil
DandelionPowderman

Oh well, if you put it like that smiling smiley. I'll try listening to it today a couple of times and see whether I will change my mind.

Try this version:
[www.youtube.com]
Kicks ass. Better than the relased one imho, and better than than any "punkish" tracks from SG.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 23, 2016 18:06

DandelionPowderman
There are a vast number of songs where the Stones don't sound like accomplished musicians, though. Many of those songs are great just the same. Part of why I love this band.

Little T&A, comes to mind for me. I always thought it sounds disjointed in the beginning with lyrics following suit -- and it all comes together eventually for a great end product!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1664
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home