Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The setlist of Fenway tonight
Posted by: robdeckwitz ()
Date: August 22, 2005 07:23

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> once again the "attackers" come out and personally
> attack when someone isn't happy about the Stones.
> Grow up. It's all just opinions about the band -
> and they are ALL VALID.

I don't know if you remember the tendency of the postings during the Licks-tour on this board?
People sitting at home, most of them never attending a live-show, I think.
Always complaining about everything.

They got to get there own life.
And I don't want to be bothered again during the entire Bigger bang-tour.
So they better leave this board.

Me myself, I am not always a hallelujah-guy for the Stones too.
But I know it is the best ever band in the world.
And that's why I'm a fan since 1964.

Everybody is entitled to have his own opinion about anything.
Freedom of speech for anybody.
But if you don't like the Stones, you're in the wrong place.

For instance: I think the Beatles were totally crap.
Nothing more than a producer's (George Martin) band like we have so many nowadays.
Listen to Let it Be (without GM) and you know what I mean.
Nothing to bother about.
I would never pay a visit to a Beatles-site to complain about the silly level of their overestimated efforts.
I've got better things to do.

I'm on this board to read about the Stones and the fan-base.
Not for crap from some frustrated guys who always think they know better than the rest and even Mick and Keith. These people should @#$%& off and leave us to rest.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2005 07:49

I honestly don't get the griping about the setlist(s)... for several reasons:

1) If you don't like it, go to the next show, because with a 50-song rotation they'll play something different almost every nite.

2) I'd much rather hear a great version of "You Got Me Rockin'" than a bad version of anything else, including some "rarity"... If you don't like a GREAT RENDITION of YGMR, then you probably aren't a rabid fan as i'd think of a rabid fan.

3) It's about THE SOUND, and the musicianship on that nite, as to whether it's a great concert or not, not just the setlist...

Having said all that, I fully understand there's a great benefit to having a couple rarities in there... No Expectations, Under My Thumb, Sweet Virginia, Waiting on a Friend... on and on... but even if it's just a "100% Warhorse Show", if the songs are played well, how could a rabid Stones fan not like that ?? I don't get it...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 22, 2005 08:00

fine - then attack the opinion - not the person. waaay too much of that going on here - IN MY HUMBLE EFFING OPINION.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: August 22, 2005 09:57

It seems they rocked, with the guitars louders in the mix and a less prominent role for Chuck.
And four new songs on the first night is not bad for the Stones. But some choices are hard to understand:
- SMU again as an opener - too easy choice
- YGMR: no, not again, already since VL
- TD: so early in the setlist, boring and it is not really considered a warhorse by the audience I presume
- Miss you: no, please.
- YCAGWYW: boring

The last four songs could easily be replaced by other hardly played songs whether it is Lady Jane, Sway or Come on (wouldn't that be a great opener?)

And than seven out of the last eight songs warhorses.....A bit overdone, pls. mix them more throughout the list.

Checking out the songs rehearsed I don't expect much rare songs anyway to appear this tour. If we are lucky enough we get Sway, Hang fire, 19th and SM.

Date: August 22, 2005 10:09

LICKS + ABB = yawn

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: August 22, 2005 10:13

johang wrote:
A Rolling Stones dissapointment thats for sure/

WTF does this add to anything?!? You're whining all the time..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-22 10:15 by Rutger.

Posted by: breadedmelon ()
Date: August 22, 2005 11:18

I hope the Giants Stadium setlist (the venue I'm attending) is a little less predictable, but anything Stones is better than nothing.

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: August 22, 2005 11:38

ROBDECKWITZ: Why do you call fans who are disappointed with the commercially correct set list "outsider anti-Stones". These folks are sincere fans who want to fantasize about the Stones getting all the posters on this formum together for a live performance of the Sticky Fingers or other '70s albums. If the Stones play Sway on this tour they will settle for that.

I think IORR is a great encore song. The song is elevated to the status it deserves.

My disappointment: not enough 1964-1966 songs (the automatic Satisfaction is the only one).

The Stones will stick with their practice of no two shows in the entire tour having exactly the same set list. It looks like the 7-9 slots are the rotating songs.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 22, 2005 11:44

This thread is in the risque zone of being a dump or cloak for all the whining troopers out there.

As has been pointed out, the sound - and the energy oozin out - is the key thing here.

"And four new songs on the first night is not bad for the Stones. But some choices are hard to understand:
- SMU again as an opener - too easy choice
- YGMR: no, not again, already since VL
- TD: so early in the setlist, boring and it is not really considered a warhorse by the audience I presume
- Miss you: no, please.
- YCAGWYW: boring" (Kees, the ol´ Flying Dutchman again, above)

I also have doubts to SMU (but more before the pc, where it was performed in a smashing & glimmering way imho); YGMR (not a favorite of mine, but I´m sure it works out fine in the context; TD (has been performed in a non-devoted way before, but I have a huge hope they have filled it with new life. More up-temp? Can anyone that was there comment on that... ? Well, we gotta let them wake up first); MY (alway a good live number); YCAGWYW - "boring"... Yeah, sad guys, why pick a song from that oool´ boring Let It Bleed-album. Bad judgement. I can only think of one surely better choice from LIB: And that is GS.

But why dont we wait till we actually hear what went on at Fenway.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 22, 2005 11:45

for those not able to copy & paste:

Fenway Park, August 21, 2005

1. Start Me Up
2. You Got Me Rockin
3. Shattered
4. Tumblin Dice
5. Rough Justice
6. Back of my Hand
7. Beast of Burden
8. She's So Cold
9. Heartbreaker
10. Night Time (Ray Charles cover)
Intros
11. The Worst (Keith)
12. Infamy (Keith)
13. Miss You Main stage moves out to B-Stage area during Miss You
14. Oh No, Not You Again
15. Satisfaction
16. Honky Tonk Woman Stage moves back to front during HTW
17. Out of Control
18. Sympathy for the Devil
19. Jumpin Jack Flash
20. Brown Sugar
Encore
21. You Can't Always Get What You Want
22. Its Only Rock n Roll

**End of show.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 22, 2005 11:55

80% of the people attending a stadiumshow are there to hear Satisfaction, BS, SMU, etc. Those 80% will be robbed if they didn't hear the warhorses.

Every single band plays their biggest songs in stadiums. Also the Stones. Stop complaining. The Stones even do 3 things: war horses, new songs, lesser known stones songs. This on one night. Everybody should be pleased with this setlist.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 22, 2005 12:14

um..that would be quite OK except that they DIDNT play 'lesser known songs'

with the exception of "the Worst", every one of the old songs played last night was also released as a single...and something like 13 of the 17 older songs were on "40 licks".

I dont agree that 80% of the audience are there to hear warhorses. That might be the case say in Moncton or somewhere where they havent played before. They've played Boston numerous times in the last few years so a sizeable percentage of that audience have seen them before plus they're obviously aware that an opening night show is going to attract a lot of fans from around the country and beyond who will be flying in JUST to see the tour opener.

Take a look at the tour openers for previous tours and you'll see setlists that were pretty ambitious, featuring old songs never played before or that hadnt been played in many years as well as several premieres of new songs. The only song premiered last night was the Ray Charles one. Last night's setlist by comparison was very unadventurous. Had you not seen the list of songs played at the dress rehearsals or at the club show, the only numbers you would reasonably have described as long-shots were Shes So Cold, Night Time and Out of Control.

I'm encouraged by a couple of things - good reviews (although no one paying $450 a ticket is seriously going to admit publicly that they felt shortchanged) and the fact that they had the balls to play five songs that are either off an upcoming album or unreleased. Uninspiring playlist, otherwise, though (loathe as I am to criticise a setlist for a show I wasnt at)

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: August 22, 2005 12:17

I haven't seen them live this tour yet, so anything I say is just about the setlist.

I think it looks promising with some disappointments. Start me up is a good choice to start with. YGMR and Shattered are two that I could do without - but maybe some were glad they were in there. I like Tumbling Dice towards the front. I like the fact they put in Heartbreaker, Out of Control and She's so Cold. There are also plenty of warhorses there to, which will keep everyone happy!

I really would prefer to see Sway and Midnight Rambler in there (to be honest, I don't ever want to see a set list without Midnight Rambler in!). Perhaps replace Shattered with Sway and Miss You with Midnight Rambler.

Overall, I think it's a good mix, but the reviews will reveal more than just a setlist. In any case, the setlist will (hopefully) change from night to night.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 22, 2005 12:19

I think Out Of Control is one of the best live songs ever! The smooth build-up and then BANG into the hard-rocking chorus. I wasn't there but I think it must have been great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-22 12:19 by Reptile.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: August 22, 2005 12:25

The set looked fine to me.

I honestly don't know how some of you still don't at least partially understand that they play for the masses and not us diehards.

They're still playing because of the masses - not us diehards.
They know that the masses keep them in luxury - not us diehards.
They masses don't give a rats about "Sway" any more than most here do about "Tumbling dice".

I can see an 18 month long whine about setlists coming our way.
Do any of you really find this setlist so surprising?

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Date: August 22, 2005 12:36

Maybe the fact they played a lot of new songs meant that they felt they had to counterbalance it with so many 'warhorses' (and they played them ALL) but it doesnt look like a very balanced show to me - you'd expect a mixture of old hits, new songs and non-singles from classic albums - they seem to have almost skipped the latter category altogether. I hope they'll add more of these later on - although if theyre not at the expense of some of the warhorses its a missed opportunity.

That said, the show was aimed at those who were there - not those of us who werent. Its their call as to whether they were genuinely pleased with what the band did (and didnt) play.

Date: August 22, 2005 13:12

I think most people attending a stones show don't know She's So Cold, Heartbreaker, The Worst, Out of Control, You Got Me Rockin', maybe even Shattered.
Well, I think that would be the case if that setlist was played here in Belgium.
Because people going to a stones concert are the same as the ones attending the night of the proms (15 concerts immediately sold out were the audience sings along with has been performers and the most known classical melodies, where a classical orchestra plays the nanana-part of hey jude and the crowd sing their lungs out with lalalala). I think 80% of the audience are people like that.
A night out with the stones.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: August 22, 2005 13:13

I am happy for what we get and that the sound system and mix is now up to par. I look forward to seeing them very soon and greateful for another tour.

That said, the first two and last two songs appear pretty anemic. Image Tuesday night with ADTL and Bitch in for SMU and YGMR, and MR and GS in for YCAGWYW and IORR. Start with a bang, end with a bang if you really want to be A BIGGER BANG!!!

SMU, YGMR, YCAGWYW, and IORR have to be on the top of most tired of hearing lists along with Angie.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 22, 2005 13:15

Right on Gazza.

Btw:

what did they actually promise this time?

Did they promise to dust of stuff from days of old?
I also can't remember if they promised to do other songs in arena's than in stadiums. If they do, it means there's something to expect for the connaisseur.

Because a stadium setlist in an arena, well that would be a bit like Diet Coke: the same stuff, but without the excitement.

Date: August 22, 2005 13:43

BowieStone Wrote:
> I think most people attending a stones show don't
> know She's So Cold, Heartbreaker, The Worst, Out
> of Control, You Got Me Rockin', maybe even
> Shattered.
> Well, I think that would be the case if that
> setlist was played here in Belgium.

Shattered and YGMR are both on 40 Licks. I cant imagine too many people in any Stones audience not knowing them. If they dont at LEAST know the songs from their greatest hits album, then not only do they have no bloody business being at a Stones concert, but they are the last people in the world the Stones should 'cater' for when putting a setlist together.

Shattered was not only a US single but comes from the second biggest selling studio album of the band's entire career. Heartbreaker was also a single in the US.

The Worst and OOC are from multi million selling albums and have both been played frequently on previous tours (although OOC was omitted from almost every show on the last one). they would still be well known to most people who attended shows in the last decade (esepcially OOC which was a highliight of the BTB shows)...and I would hazard a guess that the vast majority of people at any Stones show on this tour will NOT be seeing the band for the first time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-22 13:44 by Gazza.

Posted by: robdeckwitz ()
Date: August 22, 2005 13:53

BOBM Wrote:
> ROBDECKWITZ: Why do you call fans who are
> disappointed with the commercially correct set
> list "outsider anti-Stones".

There was another thread on this board, reveiling the songs the Stones did in Fenway.
And everytime some people, without having heard one note, were moaning about the setlist.
That is very boring and like Kyle M wrote, I don't like the idea of having to read that moaning and whining for 18 months to come.
That's why I started a new thread with the setlist in the first posting.
For people not having read all that moaning in the other thread the quote about "outsider anti-Stones" has no meaning at all, so I deleted it.

I'm convinced that almost 100% of the members are true Rolling Stones-fans, each of them having their own opinions and preferences.
But I also do know that it's quite easy to sign up as a member on this board and that some people, not liking the Stones at all (which they are entitled to do) have done so, just to bother us with their pathetic nonsense.
These few got to get lost, I think.
And if they don't, O.K., let them stay here.

Date: August 22, 2005 14:31

Bottom line is that the people who matter are the ones who were actually AT the show and paid money to see it

For the rest of us who werent there - those people who find the setlist disappointing or underwhelming have as much justification and right to do so as those who are genuinely excited by it

All I know is that when I get to see a stadium show on this tour, if THAT was the setlist, I'd be slightly disappointed at how unimaginative it was even if I otherwise enjoyed the concert. Each to their own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-22 14:33 by Gazza.

Date: August 22, 2005 14:33

I just think you can't expect a setlist filled with fans' favorites when there are 40000 people. You can expect what they did last night, and there's nothing wrong with it.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 22, 2005 18:34

BowieStone Wrote:
> I just think you can't expect a setlist filled
> with fans' favorites when there are 40000 people.
> You can expect what they did last night, and
> there's nothing wrong with it.
>
> - BowieStone

Filled? Nobody was expecting "filled." but, maybe a bone or two?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 22, 2005 19:10

More concrete suggestions wanted!
... Gazza, as I recall, proposed that SMU wuld be given a long nice vacation.
More of that! JJF... Nah; guess most people wouldnt 'let it loose'...
HTW; I could live without it... But could the broader segments... ?
Personally I despise BOB; But I know its quite big in US;
as well as Shattered. The latter grew on me thru the new video from Fenway.

I believe it´s easy to make too much of yesterdays night.
After all, it´s just one night.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 22, 2005 19:19

No Rolling Stones show without Jumping Jack Flash! I could do without all the other warhorses, but to be honest, I'm curious how they sound in the new arrangements, stripped down. Maybe Miss You could be left out too.

Very glad Out of Control is back!

regards, e.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home