Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: what football clubs do/did the stones support.
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: March 11, 2016 21:44

Mick Jagger about Arsenal:
"My family was always a great Arsenal-supporting family. I support Arsenal, but my eldest son goes every week, and I don’t go every week. We come from a family of keen supporters."
[www.fifa.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 17, 2016 12:06

[www.youtube.com]

....Around the 1.50 mark ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 17, 2016 12:22

Barca

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 17, 2016 14:53

The Worst.
geordiestone, who would have been your first choice then? I can´t see how Newcastle would have got hold of a better manager at this point. It´s incredible really that Newcastle got a manager of Benitez´quality when they´re fighting to avoid relegation with 10 games to play. I know Benitez is disliked by many in England outside Liverpool, but I think he´s massively underrated by english press and fans. He´s CV speaks for itself: 2 La Liga titles (with a team that was not Barcelona or Real), 2 UEFA Cup/Europe League, Champions League with an underdog team that should never have won it (+ one Champions League runner´s up with the same team, proving the previous triumph was not a fluke), FA Cup, Coppa Italia, World Club Cup... You´re not getting any trophies this year, but I guess Benitez´emphasis on defensive structure, balance and organization will make you a harder team to beat - and that´s going to save your place I think.
Undoubtedly we could not of got anyone better, i've just never liked the way he sets his teams up and how they are rarely pleasing on the eye which here in Newcastle has always been important. But you are right now is about getting the results to save us and there is no denying Rafa gets results but this must be the worst set of players he's ever worked with. Sundays derby is vital, it could give us the spur we need to stay up but my personal opinion is that regardless of Sunday i think we will go down and for a club the size of Newcastle United 2 relegations in less than 10 years is a disgrace.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 17, 2016 15:40

geordiestone
The Worst.
geordiestone, who would have been your first choice then? I can´t see how Newcastle would have got hold of a better manager at this point. It´s incredible really that Newcastle got a manager of Benitez´quality when they´re fighting to avoid relegation with 10 games to play. I know Benitez is disliked by many in England outside Liverpool, but I think he´s massively underrated by english press and fans. He´s CV speaks for itself: 2 La Liga titles (with a team that was not Barcelona or Real), 2 UEFA Cup/Europe League, Champions League with an underdog team that should never have won it (+ one Champions League runner´s up with the same team, proving the previous triumph was not a fluke), FA Cup, Coppa Italia, World Club Cup... You´re not getting any trophies this year, but I guess Benitez´emphasis on defensive structure, balance and organization will make you a harder team to beat - and that´s going to save your place I think.
Undoubtedly we could not of got anyone better, i've just never liked the way he sets his teams up and how they are rarely pleasing on the eye which here in Newcastle has always been important. But you are right now is about getting the results to save us and there is no denying Rafa gets results but this must be the worst set of players he's ever worked with. Sundays derby is vital, it could give us the spur we need to stay up but my personal opinion is that regardless of Sunday i think we will go down and for a club the size of Newcastle United 2 relegations in less than 10 years is a disgrace.

If you beat Sunderland then I reckon you'll be alright............Villa, Norwich & Sunderland down.........

If you do go down, Garry Monk might be a good choice for next season, he was doing alright down here in Swansea until a lot of back room shenanigans started, allegedly, some affairs between non playing satff (not Garry) and some players wives - exit Nathan Dyer to Leicester for example.......team spirit fell apart for a while........

Date: March 17, 2016 15:46

EddieByword
geordiestone
The Worst.

If you beat Sunderland then I reckon you'll be alright............Villa, Norwich & Sunderland down.........

If you do go down, Garry Monk might be a good choice for next season, he was doing alright down here in Swansea until a lot of back room shenanigans started, allegedly, some affairs between non playing satff (not Garry) and some players wives - exit Nathan Dyer to Leicester for example.......team spirit fell apart for a while........
I'd of preferred someone like Garry or even better Lee Clark who understands and loves the club. I wish i shared your optimism for us Eddie but this club has been breaking my heart almost all my life and show no signs of changing that. Hope i'm wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-17 15:46 by geordiestone.

Date: March 17, 2016 16:02

geordiestone
EddieByword
geordiestone
The Worst.

I'd of preferred someone like Garry or even better Lee Clark who understands and loves the club. I wish i shared your optimism for us Eddie but this club has been breaking my heart almost all my life and show no signs of changing that. Hope i'm wrong.

I just looked at your remaining games...........you should have a clearer idea after these two weeks, the Sunderland at home and Norwich away, I won't wish you luck with the Swansea game unless we're alright by then (if that's the case I don't mind being an honorary geordie for the day.....Shelvie did us proud for a while...........but yeah, you've got 5 against lower teams (inc. the Swans & Palace but then some 'tougher' ones as well,,,,,but you don't even know for sure the outcome of those........(we'd already written off the Arsenal game down here and then to come from behind........amazing......definitely good luck on Sunday though.........thumbs up

The Swans last four are too tasty for my liking....Leicester A - liverpool H - West ham A - Man City H...............eye popping smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-17 16:14 by EddieByword.

Date: March 17, 2016 17:09

EddieByword
geordiestone
EddieByword
geordiestone
The Worst.

I just looked at your remaining games...........you should have a clearer idea after these two weeks, the Sunderland at home and Norwich away, I won't wish you luck with the Swansea game unless we're alright by then (if that's the case I don't mind being an honorary geordie for the day.....Shelvie did us proud for a while...........but yeah, you've got 5 against lower teams (inc. the Swans & Palace but then some 'tougher' ones as well,,,,,but you don't even know for sure the outcome of those........(we'd already written off the Arsenal game down here and then to come from behind........amazing......definitely good luck on Sunday though.........thumbs up

The Swans last four are too tasty for my liking....Leicester A - liverpool H - West ham A - Man City H...............eye popping smiley
Thanks Eddie mate and also good luck to Swansea for the rest of the season, one of the few clubs in the premier league i have time for.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 17, 2016 19:14

Take it from me, Lee Clark would be a bad choice. Let's say he likes his drink.

We had our worst home run in history under him and only survived on the last day of the championship.

Date: March 17, 2016 20:38

odean73

We had our worst home run in history under him and only survived on the last day of the championship.

odeon, did you know Frank Skinner was at one of those '73 Brum shows........(my mother's side is Brum....Darwin st, Deritend..........120 years ago though so lots of houses then, rather than flats & warehouses.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-18 00:29 by EddieByword.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 17, 2016 21:35

Fan of the Hamburger SV (HSV),

sympathies for WestHam United!
Keep your hammers crossed!

No one in the Stones camp supporting WestHam??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-17 21:36 by TooTough.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 17, 2016 21:57

Unbeknownst to many, the Baltimore Ravens are the Stones favorite football club...I wish. A little hometown love here.

Date: March 17, 2016 23:49

EddieByword
odean73

odeon, did you know Frank Skinner was at one of those '73 Brum shows........(my mother's side is Brum....Darwin st, Deritend..........120 years ago though so lots of houses then rather than flats & warehouses.......

I did not know that fact, but was he at the 17.30 show or the 20.30 show? Haha

Date: March 18, 2016 00:18

odean73
EddieByword
odean73

odeon, did you know Frank Skinner was at one of those '73 Brum shows........(my mother's side is Brum....Darwin st, Deritend..........120 years ago though so lots of houses then rather than flats & warehouses.......

Now, that I'd have to recap on, it was in his autobiography I read a few years ago........he did say it was fantastic though....a real eye opener as to the possibilities outside West Brom.......

Also, a question he asked all readers to ask and let him know if they ever got an answer...............Why is/was the newspaper, the Smethwick Telephone called the Smethwick Telephone when it was a newspaper..........

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-18 00:22 by EddieByword.

Date: March 18, 2016 14:07

EddieByword
odean73
EddieByword
odean73

Now, that I'd have to recap on, it was in his autobiography I read a few years ago........he did say it was fantastic though....a real eye opener as to the possibilities outside West Brom.......

Also, a question he asked all readers to ask and let him know if they ever got an answer...............Why is/was the newspaper, the Smethwick Telephone called the Smethwick Telephone when it was a newspaper..........

Thats the black country for you.
PS the black country is an area, just outside Birmingham.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: March 19, 2016 01:36

Apart from Bill Wyman who did occasionally mention his support of Crystal Palace I don't recall any of the other Stones talking about football much. Mick was always known for his love of cricket.

It's only in recent years since the English Premier League became fashionable and marketed worldwide have I noticed Mick and Ronnie mention football. Mick has also shown up at a few high profile England games at big tournaments. Probably his son's influence more than anything.

Anyway both Mick and Keith should support their hometown club Dartford FC in the English National League South. smiling smiley

Date: March 19, 2016 02:02

odean73
EddieByword
odean73
EddieByword
odean73

Thats the black country for you.
PS the black country is an area, just outside Birmingham.

Ha...that's as good an explanation as I've heard so far...funny..........(I do know about the black country....same reasons as down in swansea we had a factory upto 1980 known eventually (after it being a nickname for years) officially as "The Carbon Black.............
Likewise my father told me that when he was kid in 1933 he used to go up on the hill 3 miles up the Swansea valley and there was so much black smoke he could never see to the otherside which is only 1 mile.............

Mind you, I did read there were two possible reasons with you for the name, the industrial smoke and a huge coal seam under the area........

Frank says in his book that he queued with 3 mates for 18 hours for tickets in the rain in New st but doesn't say which show. He said he kept the petals he caught for 20 years along with a beer bottle given to him by Ray Davies.........

In 2003 he went to a Peter Cook charity do where Ron and Bill were playing......after the do Frank and his girlfriend went in the Ladies for a quickie...........when they came out there were only about 20 people left and Ron invited Frank up on stage to do some old 50s numbers + It's all over now.......

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-19 16:29 by EddieByword.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 19, 2016 03:05

TooTough
Fan of the Hamburger SV (HSV),

sympathies for WestHam United!
Keep your hammers crossed!

No one in the Stones camp supporting WestHam??

Must be tough supporting HSV the last years...

said by a Gladbach fan still suffering from tonights absurd loss at Schalke...

Liverpool is the club I admired since I was a child in the 70's.
Probably because of some matches against Borussia MG.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: March 19, 2016 16:19

Stones50
The Oakland Raiders for sure

Agreed!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 20, 2016 01:28

odean73

I didn't know that about Lee Clark. So many football managers have 1 or both of 2 demons - drink or gambling. He's now in Scotland managing a very poor Kilmarnock side on the brink of relegation. So far I think he's lost every game but 1 by a single goal margin. Today he lost at home to a last minute goal by an extremely poor Celtic side. I'm a keen Hearts fan btw. I also have a soft spot for local side SWINDON Town and saw them earn an insane 6-4 win at St Andrews 20 odd years ago (in the terracing before it was done up - what a dump it was then!)

Date: March 20, 2016 12:09

grzegorz67
odean73

I didn't know that about Lee Clark. So many football managers have 1 or both of 2 demons - drink or gambling. He's now in Scotland managing a very poor Kilmarnock side on the brink of relegation. So far I think he's lost every game but 1 by a single goal margin. Today he lost at home to a last minute goal by an extremely poor Celtic side. I'm a keen Hearts fan btw. I also have a soft spot for local side SWINDON Town and saw them earn an insane 6-4 win at St Andrews 20 odd years ago (in the terracing before it was done up - what a dump it was then!)

That Swindon game I think blues were 4_0 up.

Me personally prefer the old grounds, than these newer/modern grounds where they seemed to have lost their character.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: March 20, 2016 16:43

potus43
Stones50
The Oakland Raiders for sure

Agreed!
Who are they?

Posted by: django ()
Date: March 20, 2016 16:53

Mick is of course a Bayern Munich supporter. No doubt about it smileys with beer

Posted by: DD ()
Date: March 21, 2016 17:35

The England football manager Roy Hodgson was at the Crystal Palace v Leicester City match on Saturday. Sitting next to him was the former bass player with the Rolling Stones who, as documented elsewhere in this thread, is a Palace fan.

Declan

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: March 22, 2016 05:36

Ronnie supports Barcelona.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 22, 2016 16:34

Only if it can kick me like you kicked before.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 22, 2016 16:36

Or kicking the stall all night.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: March 22, 2016 17:13

mpj200
Ronnie supports Barcelona.

Bloody glory hunter!

I'm not admitting to who I support, it's just become depressing....suffice to say they are from Birmingham and are bottom of the PL right now. Sniff

Posted by: bobcat ()
Date: March 22, 2016 19:41

Jagger: Spurs AND Arsenal...!!! (that's ridiculous)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home