Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A Bigger Bang: Alice In Wonderland
Posted by: jack_daniels ()
Date: August 20, 2005 21:54

So the New Album is here. But not yet.
We’ve been waiting for it for years now. 8 years to be precise!!. During Licks tour ‘they’ said ‘they’ were recording songs. About 20 or 30 of them. And they were recording them smoothly. But let's not have a fuss about it. It's there now. At last.

And the reviews are coming in already. A lot of opinions of songs that are being heard lo-fi, hi-fi, partially, complete. And as Gazza said: "Of course, opinions are like @#$%& in that we all have one - and you may think that this one stinks compared to yours! (I like that one, Gazza). And reading them all and also listening myself to some partially/complete hi-lo-fi songs of the new album I am feeling a little bit like Alice In Wonderland !?

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

But then again, a New Album after 8 years. That creates high expectations. Or should I say 'demands'. We want it to be special. But we don't (or didn't) believe it. "They" were never able to make a good album as the one I like most. And that one was yeaaaars ago. Our rational minds said to us it wasn't possible for 'them' to make something worthwile. But our hearts demanded, expected and (desperately) hoped for "it".

And the of course everybody starts comparing, without even having heard anything. It had to be something like Exile, Some Girls, Tattoo You, Sticky Fingers even. Also -not in the least- being fed by the Rolling Stones PR-machine..... Mick saying it will be hard-hitting, yet contemporary, ... and so on (they must have had a bottle of JD to come up with these words). Keith referring to the times they were using his house for recording Exile (there ya go ...), so now it was Mick's turn to use his house (castle) for the recordings. So the link with Exile is 'official' now ...!? Or is it...?

Then "they" let information loose into the world. The press-conference with ONNYA (i like these abbreviations..). And we are on our way. Discussing, reflecting, interpretating (is that english? i'am dutch you know), how the other songs would be.

And then 'they' release the songs for the singles: Streets Of Love and Rough Justice. More information. During the demo-sessions' people get cd's (it's amazing that the cd is not yet completely available on internet, 'they' must have a great security system) or tape them themselves and Alice is on her way:

Uncut magazine comes with a full review of all the songs. And if you read between the lines then you know that the ones they are not positive enough about it could be negative (magazines are almost never negative as they must also be commercially viable?). But thunder strikes as the French Fanclub (I forgot there name, i am sorry) comes with a quite explicite and mostly negative review. So who's being realistic here. What do I want to read? My hopes, expectations and demands are fighting a battle! As bits and pieces and sometimes whole songs become available (hail hail internet) we start discussing them amongst each other. In the meantime the experts get even more information then we do (and we love them for it). So we press them to give us their opinion.
Gazza takes the time to listen and write down what he hears. And we like what we read. Then Mathijs does the same. But .... a totally different interpretation. Alice is lost ......

"Would you tell me please, which way I ought to go from here?," asked Alice.
That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cheshire Cat.
"I don't mind much where," said Alice.
Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"so long as I get somewhere", said Alice as an explanation.
"Oh you're sure to do that", said the Cat, "If you walk long enough".

Well let's summarize the scores so far, and see where we are. I will of course limit myself to those songs I have heard in full length beit in hi or lo fi:

Rough Justice
A Kick-ass rocker (Uncut), 'a strong rock 'n roller' (French fanclub), and according to Gazza a cracking and rousing opener with all of the band firing on all cylinders. Mathijs gives it a 7 saying it is a 'nice song', but at the end 'turn it up loud and shake your head (..?)'. Well at least we all agree here this is a good Stones rocker. I am curious how this one sounds live (I want the bootleg from Phoenix)

It Won't Take Long
Finally a rock-song that i really like, says Mathijs giving it an 8. But then he tempers the joy a bit by mentioning that we've seen it all before a bit. It reminds him of the Undercover period. As the French Fanclub is recalling the Dirty Work style. And ... 'it is alright , it is vintage stones'. According to Gazza- however- this is a 'stunning driving rocker' , a very danceable track that is still growing. I tend to feel along with Gazza. I think this will be one of the best songs of the album. I think this has the potential of becoming a Stones Classic.

Rain Fell Down
"First Misfire" according to the French Fanclub, but 'Keith's funky riff saves the song from boredom" (thank God...). Uncut thinks it 'chugs along like Dylan's 'Slow Train Coming' '. Gazza and Mathijs are reminded of 'Everything is turning to gold'. "It grooves nicely" (what does the word 'nice' means to you, Mathijs?), a jagged funky riff (Gazza). For me these reviews are a bit too 'cold'. I think this one is GREAT. It makes you dance for ever. It is much better then 'Everything is turning...", or 'Dance'. So please play this one live......!?

Streets of Love
The first single will 'build into a big stadium ballad' according to Uncut. But the French Fanclub thinks the Stones have 'seldom lacked such inspiration'. Gazza finds this an 'astonishing choice as first single to be honest' ("the repetition of the word awful is ... wel awful"). Mathijs is even clearer: the biggest piece of shit ever released by the Stones. Well, I don't like the song either. Let's stay with that.

Back of My hand
And then Mathijs says this is an 'excellent song and sound' but it should be ' something you warm up with in the studio before you start the real work' (..... what do you mean, Mathijs...... Handel, Mozart, Tchaikovsky?) . But then Gazza: "A lot more like it", and "a gorgeous minimalist blues". "Fantastic slide guitar, wailing harmonica" says Uncut. Even the French Fanclub is positive for a change "Great! A Blues. ....an authentic, haunting and gloomy blues." Well Mathijs maybe you missed something...? For me this is together with It Wont Take Long, Rain Fell Down and Laugh I Nearly died, the best song of the album, and the best bluessong of the Stones since ....?

This Place is Empty
Mathijs: "It has a nice (..?) melody and excellent verses", ".... a nice (..) catchy little song." More important: "This is the kind of song Keith should make a solo-album with. Invite some friends and make a George Jones-style album. And please include the version of Love Hurts with Nora Jones (we completely agree here Mathijs, let's start organizing itsmiling smiley). This pleasant contry-style ballad (Gazza) played while the fire is burning in the chimney (French Fanclub) is going to be one of the Keith-Classics (me).

Oh No Not You Again
This Sticky-Fingers era rocker (Uncut) that 'they' played at the Press Conference in the Juillard School in New York has 'vintage' Chuck Berry elements (French Fanclub), but has juvenile lyrics in the verses (Gazza). For me this is a 'normal' Stones rocker as they have made plenty of.

Well Alice In Wonderland still has some chapters to go: All the other songs I have heard only partially so not much to say about them but ..... perhaps one ...?

Laugh I Nearly Died. From the bits I have heard, and what I've read ...A soul ballad unable to soar, clumsy backing vocals, Keith lost in the middle of his riff (.....OK That Must Have Been A False Translation, French Fanclub); A simmering mid-tempo groove with Mick more impassioned than in years....(Uncut), "Sweet Baby Jesus!! I didn't think they had one like this left in them (Gazza), ... and "Best of the album, actually the best thing the Stones have released since Tattoo You (Mathijs). So ..... please, please please (I am on my knees know ... in the dirt... and ...mmm ...well ) can anyone pleaaaaaase put this one for download availabe somewhere. Or send it to my mailaddress Jackdanielsisastone@yahoo.com . I Want To Hear It, I Want To Hear It,I Want To Hear It, I Want To Hear It,I Want To Hear It, I Want To Hear It,I Want To Hear It, I Want To Hear It,I Want To Hear It, I Want To Hear It,

And any reviews,opinions, thoughts you have about the New Album:... let them come. We still have some two weeks to go. Especially those who visit the first concerts in Boston, Hartford, Ottawa, Detroit and Monton and HEAR THOSE NEW SONGS LIVE. Pleeeeeeaaase let us know?

Thank You

I'm just a Monkey Man

home.planet.nl/~verm6412/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-20 23:14 by jack_daniels.

Re: A Bigger Bang: reviewing the reviews
Posted by: Smalltowns ()
Date: August 20, 2005 22:06

nice post jack!

Re: A Bigger Bang: reviewing the reviews
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2005 22:40

[applause, applause]

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Re: A Bigger Bang: Alice In Wonderland
Date: August 21, 2005 00:39

tnxs for your review on this review of the reviews guys smiling smiley

I'm just a Monkey Man

Posted by: wambambirmingham ()
Date: August 21, 2005 01:01

Nice post Jack Daniels. Like you I am wanting to hear Laugh, I Nearly Died.

Date: August 21, 2005 10:58

wambambirmingham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice post Jack Daniels. Like you I am wanting to
> hear Laugh, I Nearly Died.

Only 2 more weeks sad smiley

I'm just a Monkey Man

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home