Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
A Bigger Bang 2
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 20, 2005 15:09

I wrote a review about a month ago on the four songs I heard at that moment. Here’s an update with more songs I have heard in studio quality up until now, with rating’s inspired by Gazza’s review. A 10/10 means Some Girls-good. Sticky Fingers or Exile would be 12/10, but we all know it’s not 1971 anymore.

Oh No Not You Again: On the press conference I really liked the rough sound of the guitars and I liked the drive of it. Unfortunately, the studio version sounds a bit lame and simple. It reminds me of Jagger’s solo Lonely at the Top, with a bit of Highwire thrown in. Nice, but quite forgettable. 6/10

Rough Justice: I nice song, it has a nice drive and it rocks in a good raunchy manner. It grew on me. I needed ten spins to over come the “it sounds like filler, "just another" Stones track” feeling. It’s quite good in a sing-along manner. I still feel the Stones can write three RJ-songs a day, but once you accept that, it’s nice to play loud while driving a car. I like how the piano enters the end of the song. Turn it up loud and shake your head. 7/10

Streets of Love: the biggest piece of shite ever released by the Stones. It absolutely beats everything ever released by Jagger solo. Goddess is horrible but I don't mind because it is Jagger solo and I couldn't care less, but now Jagger succeeded in having a Goddess outtake performed by the Stones, or at least have Charlie drum on it (I don't hear any other Stones playing). This song makes me feel embarrassed. Its American slick Rob Thomas pop, and I hate American slick Rob Thomas pop. 2/10

Back of My Hand: excellent song, excellent sound, I really like the guitars. But, I truly don't understand you want to put this on an album. It is an excellent outtake, maybe a B-side like The Storm (which in my opinion is a boring ballroom blues). The riff is an old Charly Patton riff, and it is something you warm up with in a studio before you start the real work. Tapes were rolling accidentally, and after some years it ends up on a bootleg. If my memory serves well, they also did parts of this song in Paris 1977. 5/10

Rain Fall Down: an absolute Jagger song, I bet Keith didn’t have anything to do with it. It grooves nicely. It reminds me of “Everything is Turning to Gold” in that the drive, groove and funk is more important than the actual melody. It’s nice to play loud while driving late at night. It sounds like it evolved from a studio jam, and Jagger wrote some lyrics to it. Good song. 8/10

It Won’t Take Long: finally a rock-song that I really like. Good guitars, nice melody, this just simply rocks. It reminds me of the Undercover period, which to me is very good. Finally Wood plays a decent lead guitar again. Just like Rough Justice it won’t shake the world, we’ve seen it all before a bit, but this just is real good Stones-anno-2005-music. 8/10

This Place is Empty: I like this song. It has a nice melody and excellent verses. Keith sings quite good, it’s a nice catchy little song. Far better than The Worst, Thru and Thru, You Don’t Have to Mean it. This is the kind of songs that Keith should make a solo album with. Invite some friends and guests, and make a good George Jones-style album. And please include his version of Love Hurts with Norah Jones, that was hauntingly beautiful. 8/10

Sweet Neocon: of course I have to say the lyrics are good, but actually, it misses the mark completely. Musically, it is a Primitive Cool-type throw-away, and Jagger’s lyrics just sound corny and fake. 4/10

Infamy: a nice, reggae style song. Nothing noteworthy actually. A bit like You Don’t Have to Mean it. Forgettable. Time to get beer. 5/10

Laugh, I Nearly Died: Best of the album, and actually the best thing the Stones (well, it’s a Jagger solo song, really) have released since Tattoo You. It is a mixture between Heaven and Out of Control, and in a way it really reminds me of Jah is Not Dead. Not the style, but the emotion of Jagger’s vocals. For the first time since 1981 Jagger’s emotions sounds convincing again. 10/10.

That’s it for the songs I have in studio quality. Other’s I have heard through lesser quality so I can’t comment. I do think that this album could be better than expected. It’s direct, raw, bold and punchy, and this really benefits the songs. It’s much more sincere than Voodoo Lounge, and it misses the over production of some B2B tracks. Jagger’s Goddess had some good songs (and some terrible ones!), but even the good songs were made unlistenable due the slick over-production. On this album, the good songs are presented raw and direct, and are meant to be played loud. The not-so-good songs are not “saved” by strings, synths, loops and what more as Jagger did on his solo albums, and to some extent also on B2B. The not-so-good-songs just fall hard. I do think that this album is a complete Jagger effort, and that Keith really didn’t have anything to do with the writing part. It’s Jagger’s lyrics, Jagger’s melodies, Jagger’s guitars. Wood and Richards are allowed to play theire signature guitar parts to lift this album from a Jagger solo project to a Stones album, but I really think this is a Jagger album, with some of the Stones guesting.

Mathijs

Re: A Bigger Bang 2
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 20, 2005 15:31

You just said "Rain Fall Down" is terrible, in the It won't take long-thread. Now it's an 8. How come you've changed your mind?

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: August 20, 2005 15:34

"You just said "Rain Fall Down" is terrible, in the It won't take long-thread. Now it's an 8. How come you've changed your mind? "

Can't count too much on these reviews

Posted by: Jagiero ()
Date: August 20, 2005 15:34

A nice review Mathijs. I agree on some points but for me this album is not a complete Jagger effort. It won't take long, oh no not you again, bigger mistake, back of my hand and take me down slow are not really Jagger efforts. I agree, Rain fall down, sweet neocon and streets of love is pure Jagger. Laugh I nearly died has a Jagger hook but i wouldn't say this is a Jagger song because it is very Stones. I don't understand why people compare this album with exile (maybe because of the length) because A bigger Bang has nothing to do with Exile. While listening A Bigger Bang it gives me the impression the Stones felt the need to grab in their past. There is nothing wrong to refere to the past.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 20, 2005 16:01

Everybody changes his mind.
Especially with new songs. If I hear a new song for the first time, there's noc hance I'm gonna like it. I always need a listen or 10.

Like I never liked 'Melody', but since a couple of months I really adore it.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: August 20, 2005 16:02

2/10 for SOL is a disgrace - this is a good song & in time I think you'll come round to it.
Oh,& sorry,but I don't agree either on you're Rob Thomas comments.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: August 20, 2005 16:15

The idea for Rough Justice was Keith's. In one of the iorr-linked interviews he said he dreamed it like he once dreamed Satisfaction.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: August 20, 2005 16:16

I heard only 5 songs for the time being. My opinion: If songs like "It Won't Take Long" and "Rough Justice" were released in the 1971 or 1972, would have been classics. if not classics something like "All Down The Line".

To me:
Oh No Not You Again 7/10
Rough Justice 9/10
Streets of Love 5.5 /10
It Won’t Take Long 9/10
This Place is Empty 7/10

Mathijs, (a) i think you are a bit severe on "Streets of Love". Of course the song is not a great ballad, i think "Blinded By Rainbows" and "Already Over Me" were clearly better than it, but it's not for "2/10"...(b) After hearing the 5 songs i have the feeling that here is an almost pure Stones album, not a Jagger's one (c). I am truly happy for the lyrics of "Sweet Neo-con", even i have not heard the song yet!

Date: August 20, 2005 16:23

To be honest, "Streets Of Love" sounds good in my ears. Not great, just good. But the big problem with this song is that the other 4 i had heard are much, much better... That's a very pleasent "problem"!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 20, 2005 16:24

You know I always respect your opinions Mathijs but I whole heartedly disagree with your lukewarm review of ABB. Over the years I have often thought myself to be one of the too-negative posters at times. While still a hardcore fan it is so much easier to post about Ronnie's demise, Keith becoming a caricature of himself, Jagger not being as slick as the old days, too many horns, too many BUs, and the easiest target of themn all-Leavell. But now Jagger and Keith came along and stuck it to us. They actually came out and surprised us once again. It is the IDEA of these tunes that warrants a straight 10 across the board. When they throw in a gem like "Laugh I Nearly Died" it is almost a bonus but the fact that they overcame Charlie's cancer, Ron's ennui and their own superstar hibernation, that they sat down with a couple guitars and harp and just did it, that is huge. That is as much as the Stones can give anymore. They will never write these glorious "Loving Cup"s and "Winters" anymore. They have moved on but also I don't think they have it in them. And that is cool. If one is a Stones fan today I think you have to know and expect this. This is the best the Stones can be today. So for that reason it deserves the best "score" from us. If they gave us another Voodoo I would have been dissappointed because I know they can do better. But "the Back of my Hand" a disposable B-side??? Mathijs I know you know...I know you know the good stuff. You must have typo-ed LOL
Thiose rockers are tough, man, "Rough Justice', "Let me Down", "It Won't take Long" "She saw Me Coming", even ONNYA. That is some badass rock'n roll, baby. It's got Jagger singing and blowing, Charlie drumming and Keith riffing - what could be better? How can I NOT go out and give it whatever my best review is?

I am not one to easily gush over every note they play. That's fer sure. But this one rings all the bells in my household.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: August 20, 2005 17:32

Nice review Mathijs, altough i`m not with everything agree with you, but that`s personal. Question for you; Do you have the version of Love Hurts with Norah Jones? Can you share it, or tell me were you get it from.

Date: August 20, 2005 17:34

If Mathijs gives to the bigger part of the album 6.3 / 10 average, i think that means the whole album deserves atleast 8.5 / 10 ! Mathijs is the one and only who can give 5/10 to an "excellent song" just because he cannot understand why the song have been included on the album! The same old Mathijs... We love him!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 20, 2005 19:13

"...This is the best the Stones can be today..."

That's right Chelsea.

Posted by: lucask ()
Date: August 20, 2005 19:52

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You know I always respect your opinions Mathijs
> but I whole heartedly disagree with your lukewarm
> review of ABB.

I'd give his review about a 1 out of 10...pretty much discredited himself after he calls BOMH an "Excellent song" then goes on to give it a 5!!! Gives RFD an 8, but calls it horrible in another post....says Infamy is "nice", but gives it 5...but the most outrageous moment is when he says Keith didn't have anything to do with the writing...when we know he wrote his two lead vocal songs and Rough Justice at the very least...we'll find out in interviews that at least half the songs were mainly his idea...he shouldn't give up his regular job to become a music critic anytime soon

Date: August 20, 2005 19:56

Limbostone Wrote:
> You just said "Rain Fall Down" is terrible, in the
> It won't take long-thread. Now it's an 8. How come
> you've changed your mind?
>
>

You're right. I actually wrote that while I was listening to it for the first time through tiny laptop speakers. It sounded like funky Jagger. On my studio monitors the hook grabs you immediatly, and then I noticed that it was far greater than I expected.

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2005 19:58

>> Do you have the version of Love Hurts with Norah Jones? Can you share it, or tell me were you get it from. <<
it's on the Return to Sin City DVD, Wild Horse Pete, and it's available from (for example) amazon. and that Love Hurts is shiningly beautiful.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-20 20:00 by with sssoul.

Date: August 20, 2005 20:04

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> They actually came out and surprised us
> once again. It is the IDEA of these tunes that
> warrants a straight 10 across the board. When they
> throw in a gem like "Laugh I Nearly Died" it is
> almost a bonus but the fact that they overcame
> Charlie's cancer, Ron's ennui and their own
> superstar hibernation, that they sat down with a
> couple guitars and harp and just did it, that is
> huge. That is as much as the Stones can give
> anymore. They will never write these glorious
> "Loving Cup"s and "Winters" anymore.

You know, I just can't look at it that way. I love the Stones as much as anyone, but I can only judge the songs for what they are. It sure is a miracle the Stones are still making music, still out there touring, but if the music sucks, it sucks. And if it sucks badly, maybe you (the Stones) should be honest and just call it quits. I even am the opposite of you: instead of being gratefull of them still being around, I can get some kind of shamefull feeling when I see them perform. Instead of enjoying the Stones just because they perform on stage, I can actualy cringe when Keith starts of Brown Sugar in the wrong key, of Wood f ucks up another simple lead line. I didn't expect much of the new album. Clearly Jagger took the lead, and managed to record an album half full of decent songs. Welll, that's enough reason for another world tour!

Mathijs

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: August 20, 2005 20:10

From what i've heard This Place Is Empty sounds like one of Keith's best. Keith is not a technically great singer but he sounds like he means every word of it.
I'm glad Mathijs rates Laugh I Nearly Died highly because from that short clip i heard it sounded like one of the most interesting tracks - so hopefully it's lived up to its promise.
The problem with some of the uptempo tracks particuarly ONNYA is they contain lame lyrics. I believe in that area the Stones need to work a lot harder - the song's lack the highly imaginative words used in earlier periods. Those songs do have an attractive raw energy though.

Date: August 20, 2005 20:14

lucask Wrote:

> I'd give his review about a 1 out of 10...pretty
> much discredited himself after he calls BOMH an
> "Excellent song" then goes on to give it a 5!!!

You don't get it. BOMH is in all respects an "excellent" song: all musical ingredients are there, it is written nicely, the guitar playing is nice, it is recorded good, the sound is good, but it just is a f ucking boring, lame song! I can write 10 of those today if you want. Again, take a 100 year old riff in open G, write some lyrics, and you're done. I expect any bar-band to play songs like this, but not the Stones. For the Stones, it is a nice B-side, just like The Storm was. It is mediocre for the Stones, therefore 5 out of 10.

> says Infamy is "nice", but gives it
> 5...but the most outrageous moment is when he says

Yep, it is a 5, mediocre by any standard. It is a nice song, one you listen to 3 times and then skip on the CD. It's not good, it's not bad, it's a 5 out of 10.

> Keith didn't have anything to do with the
> writing...when we know he wrote his two lead vocal
> songs and Rough Justice at the very least...we'll
> find out in interviews that at least half the
> songs were mainly his idea...he shouldn't give up
> his regular job to become a music critic anytime
> soon

Well, 3 out of 16 songs, I wouldn't call that a Jagger/Richards co-effort. And out of the 3, one is mediocre, one is standard Stones run-through, and one I really like. One song in 8 years.

Mathijs

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: August 20, 2005 20:18

I think Mathjis gave an honest, excellant analysis. Actually I think he was probably being very generous to the Stones out of respect for their past accomplishments and the fact that he is simply a huge fan. But realistically any critical, unbiased listener with a good historical background of the Stones' music can tell that this was a quickie, slapdash recording. Hell, I read the USA Today interview with Jagger the other day where HE ADMITTED THAT THESE SONGS WERE BANGED OUT IN A FEW DAYS because they didn't want to spend months in a studio. He admitted that they didn't want to futz around with additional production, orchestras, choirs et. al. for this record. And to me it shows. There was also, obviously, no great critical selection of weaning out the bad from the good let alone striving for the great. It just leaves me so dissapointed (for the umpteeth time) that these guys are just so far gone or simply too lazy to make a superbly great record anymore. I have given up on this hope years ago. I know they could do it if they really wanted to but they obviously don't. It's just...Get in / Get out...as fast as possible because our fans will take anything at this point and we can always coast on our past accomplishments.

Date: August 20, 2005 20:25

Hmm, Mathijs. What I'm about to say hurts me more than it hurts you LOL winking smiley) When I see you write this it makes me wonder why you bother coming to this forum and follow the present day Stones. It is beyind cynical or jaded; it is just final and dismissive. And again Mathijs, I feel like I can say this to you because I know you are a hardcore bloodbrother. So I'm not trying to throw you some cheapshot in the open forum. When I watch Four Flix there are many many passgaes where I cringe. I thought Steel Wheels was abysmal, and then with a big rah-rah Voodoo followed and if anything I almost thought it was worse. Because by then they had had time to redefine their new identity. Much time for preproduction, rhearsals, and the arrival of a "new producer" (That is a laugh!) But still could not come up with anything that really grabbed me.
Still through all of this there remains a spark alight inside me,where I am aware that this is still the Stones. That they have again and again knocked me over backwards. Whnever I would give them up they come from some other anglke with a whole new set of rules and start the whole game up again.
And I waited and waited and then here they did it. This is the Stones at the nudred percent that 2005 brings. Thank God they are still able to have the gumption to wanna give 100 %. That is all I ask. In a way as much as you yourself criticize the attitude of hanging on to past glories, you are doing a bit of that yourself. Maybe the 100% of '05 is not good enough for you.
Yes they are messing up intros, they do silly things, Jagger looks a fool. But I look past that. I know it's there. Buyt as tired as this line sounds, it is true: they are old men. they are humans. They are fools, like I am a lot.
They have shot themsleves in the foot a bit because they themselves have set the bar so high. And now we come to expect instant gratification in this age too. I am preaching to the chouir here but you knoiw that "Exile", had terrible reviews when it came out. Nobody saw the new coming of Rock'n Blues right away except Keith and Jagger. "Black and Blue" was called the first album that doesn't matter by the Stones. Today we see those 8 cuts as a superstring cohesive album. "Some Girls" had rave reviews from day 1 but was also only seen as an neccessary retort to Punk Rock. Nothing really more. But more than that it stands today as a very cool homage to NYC. And TY, "the last great Stonesalbum" is and was a potpourri of leftovers.,
I myself hate it when someone say to me:"Oh just go with the flow, man. Just groove on bother. It's all good..." I want to say "Yeah go suck on your Bong somewhere else man" but I guess that is what I am saying to you. "It's all cool. man".

Posted by: Jagiero ()
Date: August 20, 2005 20:29

'One song in 8 years'...3 out of 16 songs Let's stay serious Mathijs.
I agree, there are some Jagger songs on the album but not as much as on BTB.
Rough Justice: Jagger/Richards
Let me down slow: I would say more Richards melody
It won't take long; Jagger/Richards
Rain fall down: Jagger
Streets of love: Jagger
Back of my hand: Jagger/Richards
Oh no not you again: Jagger/Richards
Biggest mistake: Jagger/Richards
This place is empty: Richards
Laugh, i nearly died: For me a pure Stones track

Maybe i'm wrong but that's how i hear it.

Date: August 20, 2005 20:38

Jagiero Wrote:
> 'One song in 8 years'...3 out of 16 songs Let's
> stay serious Mathijs.
> I agree, there are some Jagger songs on the album
> but not as much as on BTB.
> Rough Justice: Jagger/Richards
> Let me down slow: I would say more Richards
> melody
> It won't take long; Jagger/Richards
> Rain fall down: Jagger
> Streets of love: Jagger
> Back of my hand: Jagger/Richards
> Oh no not you again: Jagger/Richards
> Biggest mistake: Jagger/Richards
> This place is empty: Richards
> Laugh, i nearly died: For me a pure Stones track
>
> Maybe i'm wrong but that's how i hear it.
>

My opinion:

Rough Justice: Jagger/Richards
Let me down slow: Jagger
It won't take long; Jagger
Rain fall down: Jagger
Streets of love: Jagger, Matt Clifford
Back of my hand: 100% Jagger
Oh no not you again: Jagger/Richards
Biggest mistake: Jagger
This place is empty: Richards
Laugh, i nearly died: Jagger

Mathijs

Date: August 20, 2005 20:44

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> Hmm, Mathijs. What I'm about to say hurts me more
> than it hurts you LOL ) When I see you write this
> it makes me wonder why you bother coming to this
> forum and follow the present day Stones.

Well, you know: they are the only band in this world that still plays through an old Fender Twin and turns it up to 12. The only band that has Charlie Watts on a 50's Gretsch drumset. The only band with a guitar collection that won't fit in the Louvre. The only band with Jagger as a front man. I don't like the albums since 1986, but still every one of them had at least 3 or 4 excellent songs, good enough to decide to go see them again live on stage. And the Stones are smart: just when you decide to never go to the big stadiums again, they do a tour with smaller arena's. When you've seen that, they suddenly make it quite easy to go see them in a club show. It's a band that I dislike for the last ten years, but they manage to keep me interested again and again. I love to hate them, and I hate to admit that I love them.

Mathijs

Date: August 20, 2005 21:10

Ah touche' mon ami. Good line. Mathijs, you should slap that last sentence up as your signature. No one will be able to @#$%& with you about being a grouch anyomore. You just refer them to
"Please note signature below. Thank you very much for shopping here etc" ROTFLMAO

Date: August 20, 2005 22:38

No, Mathjis didn't gave us "an honest, excellant analysis". Maybe honest, but not at all an excellant one. Full of points denying each other. After his "explainations" i can say that. Perhaps Mathijs honestly believes that he "can write 10 of those today if you want"! Perhaps he honestly believes that he is a better gutarist than Keith or Ronnie. But that's not a good reason to take him seriously, at the moments of his meanless nagging. I appreciate his knowledge but that's all. Enouhg is enough...

Date: August 20, 2005 22:43

As usual, Mathjis denies himself...

Date: August 20, 2005 23:14

Mathijs Wrote:

> My opinion:

> Rough Justice: Jagger/Richards
> Let me down slow: Jagger
> It won't take long; Jagger
> Rain fall down: Jagger
> Streets of love: Jagger, Matt Clifford
> Back of my hand: 100% Jagger
> Oh no not you again: Jagger/Richards
> Biggest mistake: Jagger
> This place is empty: Richards
> Laugh, i nearly died: Jagger
>
> Mathijs

You'll be proven wrong on half of these when the interviews come out with the details of the songwriting. Most people would've said Rough Justice was a Jagger song before they saw Keith's "I dreamed it" explanation. Biggest Mistake has Keith written all over it and he sings harmony on the chorus...Let Me Down Slow sounds like a Keith melody and the riff in She Saw Me Coming is Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-20 23:33 by lucask.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: August 20, 2005 23:32

Mathijs...

If you feel the way you do I think it's really time to let go and move on with your life. Stop clinging to the past and memories of the past and hopes that will never be realized for you regarding the Stones.
My suggestion would be to write and record the album YOU think the Stones should do and then let us hear it.
I'm not being mean-spirited, I just don't undertand why anyone would stay involved in something that in the end brings them so little pleasure. You were ready to dismiss the album before you ever heard all of it, and still haven't heard it in its entirety. There are too many other things in life to enjoy to continue to hang on to something that is pretty much dead for you.
Sorry, but your posts always depress the hell out of me, just when I'm really feeling excited and enthusiastic. I do believe you love the attention they get you. I resolve to read them no more.

Date: August 20, 2005 23:36

Jack Knife Wrote:
> Mathijs...
>
> If you feel the way you do I think it's really
> time to let go and move on with your life. Stop
> clinging to the past and memories of the past and
> hopes that will never be realized for you
> regarding the Stones.
> My suggestion would be to write and record the
> album YOU think the Stones should do and then let
> us hear it.
> I'm not being mean-spirited, I just don't
> undertand why anyone would stay involved in
> something that in the end brings them so little
> pleasure. You were ready to dismiss the album
> before you ever heard all of it, and still haven't
> heard it in its entirety. There are too many
> other things in life to enjoy to continue to hang
> on to something that is pretty much dead for you.
> Sorry, but your posts always depress the hell out
> of me, just when I'm really feeling excited and
> enthusiastic. I do believe you love the
> attention they get you. I resolve to read them no
> more.
>
>

Great post and I think your next to last sentence sums it up nicely

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home