Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - RIP Harper Lee - Author
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 19, 2016 20:49

Harper Lee, who wrote one of America’s most enduring literary classics, “To Kill a Mockingbird,” about a child’s view of right and wrong — and waited 55 years to publish a second book with the same characters from a very different point of view — has died at the age of 89. - NY Post

[Harper Lee Dies - NY Post]

[Harper Lee Dies - NY Times]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 20:55 by The Sicilian.

Re: OT - RIP Harper Lee - Author
Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 19, 2016 20:59

Possibly the greatest "one hit wonder" in history. I've loved "To Kill A Mocking Bird" since the first time I read the book and saw the movie back in high school. So glad that she, for the most part, was able to live her life the way she wanted regardless of the outside pressures for "more".

RIP Ms Lee. Thank you for sharing your words with us.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 21:04

RIP.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 19, 2016 23:49

For a moment I thought Harper Lee, the toilet lady, died.
But nope, it's the author alright. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 19, 2016 23:59

mr_dja
Possibly the greatest "one hit wonder" in history.

Actually there was a recent 2nd book released, really a sequel but yet it was written before the other -- just locked away all these years until about a year ago. I read it, not bad. Just not as good as To Kill

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 20, 2016 00:00

BowieStone
For a moment I thought Harper Lee, the toilet lady, died.
But nope, it's the author alright. Thanks for clearing that up.

BowieStone, who are you talking about?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 20, 2016 00:05

Love and light to her, and thanks and praises

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 20, 2016 00:31

Stones connection: Mick dated Mary Badham who played Scout in the movie.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: February 20, 2016 00:38

Harper Lee wrote a wonderful book.

Safe journey...

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: February 20, 2016 00:52

I lived about 9 miles outside Monroeville, AL from 74-79, went to High School there, our Government class visited the ole Monroe Court House on a field trip once, its basically the one depicted in the movie. Truman Capote also lived there for a short time, the rumor or myth was he was really the ghost writer of TKAM, but gave the credit to her, something to think about since she was a 1 hit wonder? RIP...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 20, 2016 01:05

OH Dear that's sad ....
Thank you Harper for a book that has been with me for life ....

TAKE CARE

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Night Manager ()
Date: February 20, 2016 02:22

-you don`t need to write a truckload of novels to reach literary immortality. What she did was just great
(imagine writing ONE Brown Sugar, fair enough. let alone all the other stuff...now that refers back to .... each to his own intensity of creativity output, or something like that. It`s not a matter of counting the words, or the songs
Great writer, H.L.
R.I.P.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:15

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:58

Fantastic book!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 20, 2016 06:11

Harper Lee with "Scout" on the set of To Kill A Mockingbird 1962

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 20, 2016 07:34

If I may ask some here, what in your opinions makes this book great, and a literary classic.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: February 20, 2016 09:21

Just heard that Umberto Eco has passed away as well.

josh.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 20, 2016 09:52

Such an elusive figure. It's an amazing thing. She wrote a masterpiece and then she was gone. A true artist.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 20, 2016 11:45

A very long time ago, I taught literature to high school students, and never found one kid who didn't love To Kill a Mockingbird, and I'm including students who claimed they didn't like to read at all. That book taught us all what it is to be human.

One little note, I didn't learn until some years later that Harper Lee was a close friend of Truman Capote (the boy next door, in fact), on whom the character of Dill in the book was based. So there's a veeeeeerrrrryyy tenuous Stones connection here.

Date: February 20, 2016 16:52

Incredible, one of a kind book and movie. If the world had more Atticus Finch's, we wouldn't have nearly the troubles we do.

Odd coincidence - my son is in his high school production of To Kill a Mockingbird and last night was opening night. It was almost a full house, I'm guessing partly because of the sad news about Harper Lee.

I'll be teaching TKAM this year for the first time, looking forward to sharing this classic with my students. Any tips would be appreciated, Aquamarine. smiling smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 21, 2016 00:38

I'll have to give that some thought, latebloomer, it was a loooooong time ago! winking smiley But one aspect of it seemed consistent was that students had no difficulty identifying with the children in the book, or with the various issues the characters faced (racial and otherwise). I remember (dimly) some really good discussions about Atticus's comment that just because he knew he was beaten before he even started, that was no reason not to take on the case.

The humor in the book really appeals to students, too.

Date: February 23, 2016 01:58

Aquamarine
I'll have to give that some thought, latebloomer, it was a loooooong time ago! winking smiley But one aspect of it seemed consistent was that students had no difficulty identifying with the children in the book, or with the various issues the characters faced (racial and otherwise). I remember (dimly) some really good discussions about Atticus's comment that just because he knew he was beaten before he even started, that was no reason not to take on the case.

The humor in the book really appeals to students, too.

Thanks Aqua, I'm sure they'll enjoy it and I'm really looking forward for the excuse to read it again.

Date: February 23, 2016 02:00

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 23, 2016 02:26

That great movie brought the book to many, including me. I read it after the film.

It's a great achievement for Harper Lee. I have to say it's been interesting

How the first draft she wrote, which she called 'Go Set A Watchman', has been

received... here's the book she wrote before her editor advised her, and the result of that was To Kill A Mockingbird.

interesting to think of the difference in the portrayal of her father (Atticus Finch)...

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: February 23, 2016 09:02

LeonidP
mr_dja
Possibly the greatest "one hit wonder" in history.

Actually there was a recent 2nd book released, really a sequel but yet it was written before the other -- just locked away all these years until about a year ago. I read it, not bad. Just not as good as To Kill

Lee also worked with Capote on In Cold Blood, apparently handling a lot of the research for the book.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 23, 2016 17:05

Saw the film first and read the book later (as part of school project). But when I was in high school in the early 1980s, it tended to be mocked by various kids there (particularly the Boo Radley character, seen as some kind of freak). I don't think the book was taken seriously by anyone in my school.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 17:08 by nightskyman.

Date: February 23, 2016 18:18

I can understand how the book could be undermined by the prequel 'Go Set A Watchman'. She really didn't want that published, I believe.

TKAM is still a classic. But 'Watchman' is nothing but a money grab at Ms. Lee's expense, I believe.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 23, 2016 21:19

duke richardson
I can understand how the book could be undermined by the prequel 'Go Set A Watchman'. She really didn't want that published, I believe.

TKAM is still a classic. But 'Watchman' is nothing but a money grab at Ms. Lee's expense, I believe.

From what I recall reading, she didn't think it existed, thought it was trashed many years ago. It was her family that found it locked in the vault at a bank. She was broached about it, and readily agreed to have it released.

Certainly a money grab, but not sure what you mean at her expense, certainly she, and her estate received a nice fortune from it. And, although not the classic as Kill Mockingbird is, it is still has a very powerful message on racism and was a very good read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-23 21:19 by LeonidP.

Date: February 23, 2016 21:37

you are right, she thought it was lost, apparently..

good article here, but keep in mind its the publisher..

[www.theatlantic.com]

I still think Harper Lee wouldn't have allowed it to be published, if she had been able to make clear-headed decisions. that it was published after the death of her sister Alice, who was her primary caretaker, and her attorney too,

will always be suspicious to me...

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: February 24, 2016 00:12

nightskyman
I don't think the book was taken seriously by anyone in my school.

Would love to know more about your school and its teachers.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home