Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LA Times Article
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 18, 2005 21:33

Re: LA Times Article
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 18, 2005 22:54

hilburn writes well. but all these interviews sound just about identical - Keith's cute one-liners always turn out to be "canned responses" to pre-scripted questions. boring.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 18, 2005 23:58

thanks Ross!
nice read.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 19, 2005 00:28

Great to read....Thanks so much Ross.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 19, 2005 00:35

Also cool Mick/Keith interview here

[extratv.warnerbros.com]

Ya gotta laugh at Keith talking about going on the road with the Stones

"Ill show ya things that you've never seen...like red Indians that look like Japanese...haaaaaarrrrhaha"

ROCKMAN

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 19, 2005 01:46

I never understand where these writers (& Hilburn's been around the block) get these truisms - I mean the RS' lyrics have always had a strong vulnerable streak - Exile, w/impotence as recurring metephor, just one example - & have referred to mortality/ageing for years. And they sure talked up B2B.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 19, 2005 03:44

I've been reading Robert Hilburn in the LA Times since '71, and while he often gets it dead right, I think he's full of crap most of the time.

The Times attitude about the Stones has been generally dismissive over the last 30 years, but ol' Bob almost never goes on record himself.

His biggest trick is being The Rock Star's Best Pal. When a major group puts out a lesser work, he farms out the job out to one of the underling critics. He didn't do the dirty work of reviewing Dirty Work.

I always felt that a band of the Stones' stature ought to be written about by their No. 1 guy. But if he reviewed the bombs, they might not invite him to one of their out of town junkets.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 19, 2005 03:58

Very true, as Jann Wenner (R Stone editor in chief) found out in '78. I think he assigned SG first to Dave Marsh, who has always seemed to loathe the Stones - his bits in the old ('76 & '80) RS record guide were truly stupid, & not just re the RS - so Wenner went back & re-reviewed the album himself. BTW Robert Christgau (along w/ Bangs, Marcus, & Tosches, a fine critic who kow-tows to no one) gave DW an "A" (w/ insightful comments) in his 80s Consumer Guide, which made me revisit & get into the album - 4 years after I bought it....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 19, 2005 05:05

Christgau is certainly his own man. I believe he was the guy who panned Sgt. Pepper, saying it would lead to a lot of pretentious excess. And he was right about that.

It was weird in '78 when Rolling Stone gave a thumbs down to Some Girls--especially since they had given high marks to some of the previous LPs that were of dubious quality. From their point of view, there was nothing to "come back" from!

DW has it's moments--but The Times view of the album and them was nothing but contempt. I had a letter published telling the writers that if they really didn't care about the Stones anymore, they should just forward any future press kits, review copies, tickets, backstage passes, etc., to me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home