Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: John Mayer Trio back in the studio again
Posted by: bart-man ()
Date: January 12, 2016 21:45

Good news for all the John Mayer fans. The John Mayer Trio (including Steve Jordan and Pino Palledino) is in the studio to record a new album. I hope it wont take that long to release a new album as Keith did with Crosseyed Heart.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 07:28 by bart-man.

Re: OT: John Mater Trio back in the studio again
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 12, 2016 22:01

Big fan.Dream collaboration for me would be JM in the studio with Mick.
Can't wait..

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 12, 2016 22:05

Saw them when they opened for the Stones in DC...and Bart-Man, it's Mayer, not Mater...but no matter. smiling smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 12, 2016 22:26

Here's hoping for another live album as well. Although I did enjoy them in the studio (on Mayer's Continuum album) I liked the live album "Try!" much better. I'll give it a listen when it's released, that's for sure.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: January 12, 2016 23:06

latebloomer
Saw them when they opened for the Stones in DC...and Bart-Man, it's Mayer, not Mater...but no matter. smiling smiley

Thanks for the correction thumbs up

Date: January 13, 2016 00:59

mr_dja
Here's hoping for another live album as well. Although I did enjoy them in the studio (on Mayer's Continuum album) I liked the live album "Try!" much better. I'll give it a listen when it's released, that's for sure.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Agree, I like Mayer's musicianship with his bigger band, but the Trio forces him to keep it simple and funky.

Re: OT: John Mayer Trio back in the studio again
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 13, 2016 01:33

Good guitarist....

....but I will take Joe Bonamassa over him any day of the week.

Date: January 13, 2016 04:07

BluzDude
Good guitarist....

....but I will take Joe Bonamassa over him any day of the week.

Both great technicians, but Mayer, to me, has more groove and funk in his playing.
This is perfectly Stonesy...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 13, 2016 04:28

I always thought he was kind of a douchebro but he did play some good solos on "Respectable; in the 2012/13 shows he guested on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 05:43 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 13, 2016 04:32

Great!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:23

TornAndFried
I always thought he was kind of a douchebro but he did play some good solos on the 2012/13 shows he guested on.

Not a fan of his, but heard he did a fine job with the Dead or whatever they called themselves.

Wondering if his fans can expect any Grateful Dead style rambling/endless jams?

Date: January 13, 2016 07:32

John Mayer calls it "straight into your face blues" whatever that means. But I like their sound. They did a nice job on I got a woman

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 13, 2016 10:36

Was great at Newark during respectable, his set at Pinkpop nearly put me to sleep. I was bummed.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: January 13, 2016 11:56

MingSubu
... his set at Pinkpop nearly put me to sleep. I was bummed.

Different opinion, again smileys with beer.
His opening song "Queen of California" at Pinkpop was one of my highlights that day (´cept for a couple of tunes from the band playing after him...). After a long journey in order to get there, a burning hot, beer-fueled day in the middle of toking wildguys and an hour of hearing a million notes per minute noodled into each blues tune (yes: Bonamassa), the opening picking lick (together w/ a breathe of cooling air coming from somewhere) made me feel perfectly fine.

I prefer his bigger band projects ´though, he knows how to make a horn section sound, or an organ. But the trio work is still beautiful art to me.

Cheers, Fillmore

Date: January 13, 2016 15:44

Fillmore
MingSubu
... his set at Pinkpop nearly put me to sleep. I was bummed.

Different opinion, again smileys with beer.
His opening song "Queen of California" at Pinkpop was one of my highlights that day (´cept for a couple of tunes from the band playing after him...). After a long journey in order to get there, a burning hot, beer-fueled day in the middle of toking wildguys and an hour of hearing a million notes per minute noodled into each blues tune (yes: Bonamassa), the opening picking lick (together w/ a breathe of cooling air coming from somewhere) made me feel perfectly fine.

I prefer his bigger band projects ´though, he knows how to make a horn section sound, or an organ. But the trio work is still beautiful art to me.

Cheers, Fillmore

At Pinkpop I was in a doubt because I had to choose between Joe Bonamassa and John Mayer. They played at the same time on different stages. I already saw a John Mayer show a year before Pinkpop wich I liked very much. But I also wanted to see Joe Bonamassa because I like what I heard of him. In the end we choose to see John Mayer because we want to be front of stage with the Stones.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 13, 2016 16:33

TornAndFried
I always thought he was kind of a douchebro

You know him?

Date: January 14, 2016 06:31

I don't even know if JM knows who Mick Taylor is, but his playing is the closest to Mick than anyone I've ever heard. The melody, vibrato....it's one of the reasons I love his playing. I'm not a guitar god freak, bores the crap out of me, but Mayer has that Taylor touch.

Starting at 2:40, this reminds of Taylor circa 72-73 live...

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 06:32 by stupidguy2.

Date: January 14, 2016 06:41

Mayer with Leon Russell...more Taylor-esque beauty.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: BingotheCabbie ()
Date: January 14, 2016 06:42

He was fantastic when he played with Dead & Company. They will be out on tour with Mayer this summer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home