Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Darryl / Jaco Pastorius
Posted by: alfadriver85 ()
Date: January 9, 2016 23:16

There's a snippet of Darryl (not playing) in the Jaco Pastorius documentary. In addition, found this from an 1996 Bass Player interview w/Mr. Jones which I thought interesting:

INTERVIEWER: There are a few Wyman-esque lines on Voodoo Lounge--like the opening riff of "I Go Wild" and the octave climbs in the bridge and fade-out of "Suck on the Jugular."

DARRYL: I can't think of any sections where I tried to cop his exact style. I actually borrowed the octaves on "Jugular" from Jaco Pastorius's line on "River People" [from Weather Report's Mr. Gone, Columbia]. It's my little tribute to Jaco.

Re: Darryl / Jaco Pastorius
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 10, 2016 00:06

Waste of a talent was Jaco.

Nice little tribute to him.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 10, 2016 00:38

Darryl

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 10, 2016 12:32

Jaco was brilliant on his first solo album, and with Joni Mitchell on Hejira and Shadows & Light. I also like his Weather Report material, as Weather Report really needed to be funked up. I have a Live In Japan, Weather Report album, pre Jaco, and they sound really formless. With Jaco, they are so great. He caused Zawinul and Shorter to raise their game.

I also think Jaco crops up on the first Pat Metheny album on ECM, which has some great work from him.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 10, 2016 14:15

Some nice memories about Jaco from Pat Metheny here...

[wlrn.org]

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: January 10, 2016 17:44

Period interview:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: January 10, 2016 17:45

OOPs how do I delete a post?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 10, 2016 19:44

You can't delete it completely, punk. Just edit it all out.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: January 10, 2016 21:50

tomcasagranda
Jaco was brilliant on his first solo album, and with Joni Mitchell on Hejira and Shadows & Light. I also like his Weather Report material, as Weather Report really needed to be funked up. I have a Live In Japan, Weather Report album, pre Jaco, and they sound really formless. With Jaco, they are so great. He caused Zawinul and Shorter to raise their game.

I also think Jaco crops up on the first Pat Metheny album on ECM, which has some great work from him.

I did have the pleasure of seeing Jaco with weather report and that probably explains why they never seemed so good in concert afterwards.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 10, 2016 22:59

Jaco's playing on "All-American Alien Boy" by Ian Hunter was really cool, also.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 10, 2016 23:10

The unfortunate thing was that for every great bassist influenced by Jaco, i.e Marcus Miller and Victor Wootten, you'd get an awful bassist like Mark King from Level 42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home