Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bootleg Hunting in London
Posted by: nankerzrk ()
Date: January 7, 2016 11:48

Does anyone know any places in London one could go look for Stones outtakes/demos/live, rare/hard-to-find-online albums, etc.?

Used to go to Camden, but all I've been finding there lately are things that have been downloaded off the internet on the same sources I have, and burned onto CDs. Thought it might be fun to do an old-fashioned hunt this weekend.

Re: Bootleg Hunting in London
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: January 7, 2016 11:55

nankerzrk
Does anyone know any places in London one could go look for Stones outtakes/demos/live, rare/hard-to-find-online albums, etc.?

Used to go to Camden, but all I've been finding there lately are things that have been downloaded off the internet on the same sources I have, and burned onto CDs. Thought it might be fun to do an old-fashioned hunt this weekend.

Record fairs?.........8th & 9th - LONDON - Old Spitalfields Market, Commercial Street, E1......[sites.google.com]

Date: January 7, 2016 12:06

Interesting! Had never heard of these

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 7, 2016 12:22

I might be up for checking that out this weekend.

See you there, nankerzrk. :-)

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 12:29

There are heaps of classic stones bootlegs on eBay Search for TMOQ. It's all over for record shops anyway , not enough customers and the margin was never there on records to begin with. Record shops needed people to buy books , mags etc as well to make the sale profitable for the shop . High rents etc and the Internet make it tough for all retail . The only good record shops seem to be in Japan these days. Disc Union in Tokyo has many stores with heaps of bootlegs etc . Plan a trip to Tokyo and lap it up !

Date: January 7, 2016 12:43

Yeah, I get most of my stuff online - only very rarely go retail for anything anymore. Just thought it might be fun to go with a few friends and look around, maybe find something interesting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-01 18:51 by nankerzrk.

Date: January 7, 2016 12:51

Record shops used to be a great hang out for guys , buy a record, listen to something new , buy a book , have a chat about music , it's just about all over now . Where do guys hang out now ? Saunas ?

Posted by: martinw ()
Date: January 7, 2016 13:23

Camden used to be good years ago, before the fire, but nowadays all you get are con-artists flogging CDRs/DVD-Rs etc that they have downloaded from the same places we have. There are some stalls selling records, but they are way overpriced. I think Camden is just for tourists nowadays. Spitalfields is much the same I'm afraid. There are a couple of second-hand record shops still in Soho - Wardour Street - if you are looking for records. Again they are pricey, and mostly official releases - not many bootlegs. I mainly go to record fairs nowadays - there's one in Victoria at the end of this month - google 'VIP record fairs'- their website lists all their fairs throughout the UK. I've managed to get some bargains and rare records at their fairs - but as far as bootlegs are concerned, again, it's just the same old stuff. Good luck with the hunt - let us all know if you find anywhere interesting!

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: January 7, 2016 13:46

I work in Camden, and I agree, not much here.

I recently bought some junk LPs in the market. Even though I know it's a rip-off, I bought a vinyl copy of the Fonda Sticky Fingers set. I guess just to buy it more than anything.

Out on the Floor records has some good stuff, but it is very expensive, at least for me (and considering I used to buy used Stones records for $4). 60 pounds for Out of Our Heads seems like too much.

Date: January 7, 2016 13:59

Anitapal82
Record shops used to be a great hang out for guys , buy a record, listen to something new , buy a book , have a chat about music , it's just about all over now . Where do guys hang out now ? Saunas ?

Don't think I've ever been to a sauna, but music chats usually happen at someone's flat, with a beer, playing Fifa and listening to music - can't complain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-01 18:52 by nankerzrk.

Date: January 7, 2016 14:05

Anitapal82

Those shops are on their way back, aren't they? They came with the increased interest for vinyl. At least they did here in Norway..

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 7, 2016 14:34

Anitapal82

Again, this isn't true. You're just not discovering these places.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 7, 2016 15:50

martinw
Camden used to be good years ago, before the fire, but nowadays all you get are con-artists flogging CDRs/DVD-Rs etc that they have downloaded from the same places we have. There are some stalls selling records, but they are way overpriced. I think Camden is just for tourists nowadays. Spitalfields is much the same I'm afraid. There are a couple of second-hand record shops still in Soho - Wardour Street - if you are looking for records. Again they are pricey, and mostly official releases - not many bootlegs. I mainly go to record fairs nowadays - there's one in Victoria at the end of this month - google 'VIP record fairs'- their website lists all their fairs throughout the UK. I've managed to get some bargains and rare records at their fairs - but as far as bootlegs are concerned, again, it's just the same old stuff. Good luck with the hunt - let us all know if you find anywhere interesting!

There's (or was) a record shop on St. Mark's Place (between 14th and 23rd streets) in Manhattan/NYC where years ago I bought the majority of my boots. Don't remenber the name of the shop or if it still sells boots or even if it's there anymore...maybe worth a google search.

Of course, not London...but just trying to be helpful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 15:51 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: January 7, 2016 16:36

I haven't been for a while, but Casbah Records in Greenwich was reasonably good for bootlegs (if a little out of the way for most). I don't remember finding a lot of Stones stuff there, though.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 7, 2016 16:42

Most record stores I know have now disappeared, in France as in NYC or London.
The reasons are multiple : less customers and increasing running costs (paying the rent is the main problem)

You can find a few more recent "hype" record stores with legit records, but for bootlegs, it's much harder
Even record fairs are getting smaller and rarer
Sad to see this page being turned

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 9, 2016 04:59

Bastion
Anitapal82

Again, this isn't true. You're just not discovering these places.

Yup. Lots of new ones popping up, new branches opening, new indie labels launching. Here in the US anyway.

Date: January 9, 2016 06:06

In Australia the only new record shops seem to sell mainly dj dance music remix garbage !

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 9, 2016 09:05

In Australia the only new record shops seem to sell mainly dj dance music remix garbage !

Which city ???

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home