Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Proof the Stones are heavy
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 6, 2016 10:09

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/30/engineer-creates-functional-concrete-satisfaction-record/

(I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere, but danged if I could see where.)

Re: Proof the Stones are heavy
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 6, 2016 12:20

Amazing to think what material can be used to store music. Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 6, 2016 23:30

Very funny.......pity Fred didn't enter the room and made some Jagger moves grinning smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 6, 2016 23:53

I sent the link to my dad... His question: "What kind of needle did they use?" Note: I do not expect an answer and I don't think he does either. I don't know enough about LP/"record" technology to know if certain materials would cause the needle to wear out faster than others. Part of my mind thinks that, if the grooves on the "record" all produce the same sounds, wouldn't that imply that the needle is reacting similarly to the grooves regardless of the material that produces the grooves?

Another thought I had was, I wonder if the belts/drive mechanism of the player had to be modified so they'd run at the same speed due to what I would consider significantly more weight from the concrete than from vinyl.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:20

Superheavy!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:35

mr_dja
I sent the link to my dad... His question: "What kind of needle did they use?" Note: I do not expect an answer and I don't think he does either. I don't know enough about LP/"record" technology to know if certain materials would cause the needle to wear out faster than others. Part of my mind thinks that, if the grooves on the "record" all produce the same sounds, wouldn't that imply that the needle is reacting similarly to the grooves regardless of the material that produces the grooves?

Another thought I had was, I wonder if the belts/drive mechanism of the player had to be modified so they'd run at the same speed due to what I would consider significantly more weight from the concrete than from vinyl.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Good questions. Here is a great article that discusses the technology, I'm guessing that the hardness of a concrete record wouod indeed wear the stylus out quicker, how could it not?

[shure.custhelp.com]

As far as the turntable speed is concerned modern electronics use Phase Locked Loops (PLL's) to control the turntable speed so as long as the drive circuit had enough power to drive the weight, it would just produce enough additional feedback to insure the speed was correct. I imagine most turntables would have enough power to drive a single concrete disk and the article confirms it plays on a regular turntable. smoking smiley

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:48

Can't help feeling they should have pressed this one instead.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:59

Very cool, thanks for sharing Aqua. smiling smiley

Date: January 7, 2016 01:37

Naturalust
mr_dja

Peace,
Mr DJA

Good questions. Here is a great article that discusses the technology, I'm guessing that the hardness of a concrete record wouod indeed wear the stylus out quicker, how could it not?

[shure.custhelp.com]

As far as the turntable speed is concerned modern electronics use Phase Locked Loops (PLL's) to control the turntable speed so as long as the drive circuit had enough power to drive the weight, it would just produce enough additional feedback to insure the speed was correct. I imagine most turntables would have enough power to drive a single concrete disk and the article confirms it plays on a regular turntable. smoking smiley

Your right as long as you give the turntable a swing by hand to give it the right speed it will be no problem.....

As for the wear of the stylus I think they varnish or lacquer the concrete disk before playing...........Fred will no the answer grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 7, 2016 04:16

I'm impressed that he got copyright permission from ABKCO for this. cool smiley

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: January 7, 2016 19:17

So pleasingly meta! Thanks for posting, Aquamarine.

Date: January 7, 2016 23:24

CaptainCorella
I'm impressed that he got copyright permission from A-B-K-C-O for this. cool smiley

They still can sue him as it illegal to make any copies, although I'm not sure if concrete is included .....I wouldn't be surprised if A-B-K-C-O did it......... as it was only for the promotion

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home