Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Under The Boardwalk
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 28, 2015 16:19

DandelionPowderman
Sonically, I don't see the My Girl-comparison, as that one is arranged quite differently than the other acoustic/electric numbers. Actually, My Girl is quite close to the original/other soul covers at the time, imo.

To me it is the 'softness' in each of them that makes the similar impression. Mostly to do with Jagger's main vocals, him trying to hide any aggressive tone he so naturally had - or at least emphasized - those days and to sound as 'nice' as possible, and then the untypical - for The Stones - harmonies. Yeah, different arrangements, "My Girl" is surprisingly - probably too - sophisticated.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-28 16:21 by Doxa.

Date: December 28, 2015 16:22

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Sonically, I don't see the My Girl-comparison, as that one is arranged quite differently than the other acoustic/electric numbers. Actually, My Girl is quite close to the original/other soul covers at the time, imo.

To me it is the 'softness' in each of them that makes the similar impression. Mostly to do with Jagger's main vocals, him trying to hide any aggressive tone he so naturally had - or at least emphasized - those days and to sound as 'nice' as possible, and then the untypical - for The Stones - harmonies. Yeah, different arrangements, "My Girl" is surprisingly - probably too - sophisticated.

- Doxa

Yeah, I can hear that indeed. I was thinking more on the sound of the band.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 29, 2015 06:26

Horrible.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 29, 2015 18:58

well, I think its a much better cover than say, "I've Been Loving You Too Long" (dubbed live noise on studio outtake for Got Live) Talk about weak vocals, Mick sounds horrible...or he should at least performed it in a lower key...

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 29, 2015 19:23

I liked the Stones' rendition of Under The Boardwalk; until I heard the original. Like their unfortunate attempt at My Girl, it just doesn't work. It's all subjective, and many will disagree, but I won't be shaken on this one. Under The Boardwalk is one of the reasons as to why The Rolling Stones No.2 is so much weaker than their debut long-player, The Rolling Stones.

Re: Track Talk: Under The Boardwalk (New)
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 29, 2015 20:21

Blueranger
One of their worst covers.
It was a no. 1 in Australia...

Yes, that's right. I remember discovering this and thinking, what the...? I guess it was released during a period when, no matter what, the Stones could reach the top-ten. However, more bizarrely, why this as a single?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home