Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No Chuck Berry tunes this round?
Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 15, 2005 08:11

Am I right in saying that they havent rehearsed any Chuck Berry tunes this tour? I guess they've done quite a few of them over the years but I could always go for another. Personally I think there's nothing better than the Stones doing a Berry-ish tune. Thankfully ONNYA/RJ seem to be in that line of songwriting so I'm sure I'll forget all about it when they hit the stage.

BTW, I am officially bringing 5 newbies with me to the Soldier Field show instead of just 3. I played RJ and the rehearsal of ONNYA for two buddies and the next day they called and asked me to get tickets for them. I cant wait for the Stones to destroy any concepts my friends might have about what a rock concert is. No doubt it will put to shame every musical event they have ever attended.

Re: No Chuck Berry tunes this round?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 15, 2005 19:30

from what's been reported, that's right - no CB in the rehearsals again. It's been since '98 since they've done a Berry tune on stage (Route 66 in '99 wasn't penned by Ccool smiley - leading one to speculate on the possibility that the lawsuit that now-deceased Johnnie Johnson filed against CB may have in fact had an effect on Keith's admiration for the man. I know some have speculated on this...

And, I agree with you - the Stones can still play a Berry tune better than anyone....Queenie on B2B was among their greatest live songs in the last 3 decades....

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 15, 2005 19:37

I´d love to hear Keith & Ronnie howl "My Ding-A-Ling".

Otherwise "Carol" is always a killer.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 15, 2005 19:38

>> the possibility that the lawsuit the now-deceased Johnnie Johnson filed against CB may have had an effect on Keith's admiration for the man <<

i heard it was sort of the other way around - that Chuck was demanding really high fees for performing his stuff, at least partly as a reaction to the rift between him and Johnnie Johnson (love & light, Johnnie!). i don't know if that's true, but if it is, it might also be why there's no Berry on either of those fairly-recent Uncut disks - The Devil's Music and that other one of "music that influenced the Stones".

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-15 19:39 by with sssoul.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: August 15, 2005 20:01

Yeah Carol and Little Queenie are gems from Ya Yas

I can't remember the name of the video but on it Keith and Chuck are rehearsing tunes for a joint show ... the feuds and snide comments between them are priceless.

I've looked at Amazon under Chuck and Keith and I can't find anything ... I wish I could remeber the name. Maybe it's out of print ... It'd be a shame because it's great and gives good insight into Keith's admiration for the man and also how difficult Berry could be to work with.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 15, 2005 20:03

it's called Hail Hail Rock & Roll - beautiful film! apparently it's out of print for the time being. 1986, Chuck's 60th birthday gig at the Fox Theater in St Louis.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-15 20:11 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 15, 2005 20:08

Why repeat history?

I hope they don't play any Berry songs. Chuck is great, I LOVE his tunes... and Love the Stones ripping out one of his songs....

But MOVE ON!

Play some Muddy Waters songs......

Isn't he the second most covered artist by the Stones?

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Date: August 15, 2005 20:37

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's called Hail Hail Rock & Roll - beautiful
> film! apparently it's out of print for the time
> being. 1986, Chuck's 60th birthday gig at the Fox
> Theater in St Louis.
>
> "Music, to me, is the joy, right?"
> - Keith
>
> - 2005, by Steven Klein (courtesy newsweek)
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08/15/05 20:11 by
> with sssoul.

Right you are! ... that was it, I hope that comes available again ... I'm going to check Ebay.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: Ringo Kid ()
Date: August 15, 2005 20:44

Is it allright to say where you can buy a dvd of it?
No-ones gonna shut that place down or what...?
Cause I just bought a great copy:-)

------------------------------
[rockandrollcentral.net]
------------------------------

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 16, 2005 08:46

I would check ebay for Hail Hail Rock n Roll. Its not a boot. Officially released, and an intersting film IMO. The rehearsal bit of Carol is priceless.

Muddy Waters tunes have also been done. I'd call rehash on that as well. Manish Boy anyone? I still think Around and Around would be the ultimate openner.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 16, 2005 11:35

I wish they did some CB... but then again they already do It's Only Rock 'n' Roll which is basically a Chuck Berry song written by Jagger/Richards.

Posted by: jss ()
Date: August 16, 2005 12:16

why the cover tunes? isn't their own cataloge deep enough? little queenie or
slave? i think that i would go for slave, provided it doesn't get screwed up...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 16, 2005 16:23

Little Queenie could have a rest till 2008 or so imho.

I dont understand why this q pops up over & over: "why covers?"

Why not?

Of course they could play own material, good stuff, for seven hours.
But they are Maestros of doin covers too; if I say Robert Johnson, Otis,
Chuckster & reggaestuff like Tosh/Marley... Maybe another Dylan this time too (suggestion: "Lay Lady Lay" with Keith on vocals... )?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-17 00:27 by Baboon Bro.

Date: August 16, 2005 16:27

I just think it's the Stones way of paying homage to their biggest influences, kinda respectful in my opinion.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: August 16, 2005 21:25

No band plays Chuck like The Stones does!

But, Chuck is a tight rocker, and wants too much money... That's why they chose IORR for the B2B dvd!

Hearing Stones doing Chuck is the most powerful statement any band can do!

Posted by: jss ()
Date: August 16, 2005 21:35

keith doing lay lady lay? now that would be something, i'll give you that for sure or perhaps knocking on heavens door... he certainly wouldn't do any worse than axle rod from guns and roses...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home