Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RJ as the opener
Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: August 14, 2005 04:59

Hope this is isn't a retread (apologies if so), but what's the consensus regarding Rough Justice as the opener? BTW, I'm all for it...

I feel that Rolling Stones Inc., might be somewhat compelled to kick off this tour with a new tune which would further exhibit staying power, longevity, popularity, etc in the face of a warhorse opener? Especially if this bitch is seeing cross-popularity among various age and music reporting segemnts.

Again, if we've already hit this topic (and I missed) my humble apologies. Just curious what the thoughts were in here in the think tank.

Re: RJ as the opener
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 14, 2005 05:51

I would normally be against a new song opening a tour.....but I might have to concede that RJ would be a good opener.

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: August 14, 2005 05:55

totally agree...the chops are definitely there in this new one to pull it off. I'm surprised it wasn't played at the press conference instead on ONNYA, except that its title alone made it a natural.

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: August 14, 2005 06:04

I'm for it!

Also by them playing it in the opening slot, I think it would show their confidnece in the new matieral.

Great Song!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 14, 2005 09:37

IMHO, ONNYA is the superior track, but Rough Justice would be the better openner. Can anyone tell me how they started it at the Phoenix? Did they do the Faces guitar riffs and THEN go into it, or did it just explode right from the start? Love the track.

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: August 14, 2005 12:23

RJ will not be the openner. Absolutly sure.
Before the tour, during the club shows, they always hide the first song.
So expect SFTD or HTW.

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: August 14, 2005 14:18

If they did, it would be the U2 approach.

They started off with the brand new - and heavily marketed - "Vertigo" and people loved it.

Might have to do something with that?

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: August 14, 2005 14:22

marclaff, exact in this order!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 14, 2005 15:42

It wont happen....Not even with Miss You in '78 nor with Start me up back in '81.

Posted by: hutz13 ()
Date: August 14, 2005 16:42

I dunno the boys seem to be intent on shaking things up this time around ... I think it's possible.

Ultimate Rock Music Poll
[www.squidoo.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 14, 2005 19:00

I will all but guarantee you it won't be RJ (and this has nothing to do with my indifference to this song). Having it open at a Phoenix type show is fine and somewhat expected. But, MJ is way to sharp to open a concert for 50,000 expensive-ticket buyers with a song that probably 45,000 have little or no interest or knowledge in. It would be met with a quizical, collective "huh?" No way to open a show.

HTW remains the favorite, IMO...and the fact that it wasn't presented at Phoenix only strengthens it's candidacy. SFM opened in Boston in '02 without being played at Palais.

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: August 14, 2005 19:18

I hope it is RJ. It's awesome and is so good that it deserves the opening slot. I think fans will be as excited when they come on stage no matter what the song is. As long as it's rocking and fast and let's people know that they're the Stones and they're hear to kick your ass, then it works. Other older bands open with their new stuff and people go just as crazy. But whatever, as long as they just walk on stage i'll be happysmiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley!

Date: August 14, 2005 19:56

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will all but guarantee you it won't be RJ (and
> this has nothing to do with my indifference to
> this song). Having it open at a Phoenix type show
> is fine and somewhat expected. But, MJ is way to
> sharp to open a concert for 50,000
> expensive-ticket buyers with a song that probably
> 45,000 have little or no interest or knowledge in.
> It would be met with a quizical, collective
> "huh?" No way to open a show.
>
> HTW remains the favorite, IMO...and the fact that
> it wasn't presented at Phoenix only strengthens
> it's candidacy. SFM opened in Boston in '02
> without being played at Palais.

I'd like to know what comes with your guarantee? Your assumption in that 90% of the audience wouldn't recognize the tune (rough justice) out of the gate is simply an assumption with no factual basis-which BTW I disagree, most everyone I talk to really like the new tune and any collective "huh" that I've seen has been more of the impression- "Holy shit, is that the stones? Niceeeeeee!". This bitch rocks and if setup right can (IMO) be a real spark for the start of a show.

And Drake, I agree, ONNYA is a more meatier tune but probably won't see the commercialization that RJ might get-but of course just my opinion, I could be wrong.

And a side bar to this thread (no relative bearing), how about "Dangerous Beauty" what a tough riff! can't wait to hear this off the album!

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: August 14, 2005 22:08

it would be good. they'd leave the warhorses behind them. it would be a new start, and fans would love it, because it's a great song.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 14, 2005 22:21

Crossfire I'm with you on this. When the Stones walk on stage for the first number its the most exciting moment of the entire concert. Rough Justice is NOT a weak tune and will holdup well as an opener. Somehow I doubt they'll do it, but I wish they would. Sympathy is a good tune but IMO would be a lousy way to start the show. I base this on the pacing of the song. Its a slower tune compared to BS/JJFlash/etc... Rough Justice on the otherhand is a straightup rocker and will work great regardless of where it gets put in the setlist.

I'd love to see the new tunes replace the hotrocks. Only 3 warhorses at the club gig. Wouldnt it be great to get 17+ non-warhorse tunes in a stadium show?

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: August 14, 2005 22:42

Maybe they'll open with It Won't Take Long... this song is a friggin' classic already. Charlie's drumming is as good as he did in the early seventies... great solo... it's got everything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-15 01:31 by Rutger.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 14, 2005 22:46

Wonderful; thank you, Rutger...
Thought I was the only person in the world lovin IWTL.
Doubt though it fits as an opener, but maybe.

Date: August 14, 2005 22:56

Baboon.. you've got msn?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 14, 2005 23:04

crossfire Wrote:
> StonesTod Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > >
> I'd like to know what comes with your guarantee?
> Your assumption in that 90% of the audience
> wouldn't recognize the tune (rough justice) out of
> the gate is simply an assumption with no factual
> basis-which BTW I disagree, most everyone I talk
> to really like the new tune and any collective
> "huh" that I've seen has been more of the
> impression- "Holy shit, is that the stones?
> Niceeeeeee!". This bitch rocks and if setup right
> can (IMO) be a real spark for the start of a
> show.
> >

What comes with the guarantee? You make it to SF - "lunch is on me." Factual basis? Just common sense and knowledge of Stones-goers over 30 years. The lunatic fringe is the folks on this board and the others. 90% won't even own the new album.

I'll enjoy whatever they open with, no doubt, as others have pointed out - the opener is (one of) the best parts of the show. Having said that I was really disappointed in the '94 opener (saw 5 shows) and NFA just didn't cut it (good idea, bad execution). They've stuck with a solid strategy since - hit 'em between the ideas with something EVERYONE can't 'get.'

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: August 14, 2005 23:44

Street fighting man might be a great opener.I think that they shouldn't open the show with new song even though it's a good one.Simply the opening song is one of the most exciting moments of any show so it should be a song which almost every fan adores and considers one of the best.That would make excitement even greater.

Rough Justice should be the second song of the show.

Date: August 15, 2005 00:13

Rutger Wrote:
> Baboon.. you've got msn?

Write me at xxxx -
and I´ll give you my hotmailadress then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-15 01:16 by Baboon Bro.

Date: August 15, 2005 01:05

hey baboon... did you get my mail?

Date: August 15, 2005 01:08

I´ll check; the home-domain fooker tend to be pumped up by spam & shit.
I´ll soon let you know.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 15, 2005 01:10

Rough Justice is a nice foot tapping tune but it sounds like You got me rocking repacked. The opener is going to be Last time. ( Confirmed)

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 15, 2005 01:10

We are waiting here on msn for you, baboon!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Date: August 15, 2005 01:20

Hey Lorenz; give me a clue.
Not talkin that messenger-thing the kids use daily.
How do I get that shite goin, please!

Date: August 15, 2005 01:21

Peter, seriously.. Come on msn man!
(sorry, got your name wrong!!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-15 02:43 by Rutger.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 15, 2005 01:23

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-15 02:42 by Lorenz.

Date: August 15, 2005 01:25

virgil Wrote:
> Rough Justice is a nice foot tapping tune but it
> sounds like You got me rocking repacked. The
> opener is going to be Last time. ( Confirmed)

Hey Virgil, got any more details to support this confirmation? BTW, I think Last Time would be a kick ass opener as well.

StonesTodd, I had the same opinion with NFA, after seeing it 3 or 4 times it became somewhat usual and routine. The first go with that tune on that particular tour was pretty cool though.

Rutger, could you please enlighten me where you heard the intro to IWTL?? I'd be interested (other than the amazon samples?)-Thanks.

Date: August 15, 2005 01:37

Lorenz. Gotta sleep soon. Duties tomorrow.
Can hang on a li´l while longer:
guess its worth weaitin for.

Give me another cluenow.
All I get after installing all this sh*t is my son´s bloomin post from other 10-year olds.

Is it really that stupid that you can host only one (1) account at one computer??

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home