Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Roger Waters The Wall
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 3, 2015 08:29

Having lost my dad this year (mom been gone 20 years), the film hit me hard on an emotional level. The concert did too in a different way. Roger's message regarding war & the evils of big government/corporations (same thing now) resonated deeply too. At one point there is a quote on the wall from Dwight Eisenhower that is quite appropriate. The mass brainwashing that is going on NOW is akin to what the Germans were trying to accomplish in the 1930s & a lot of people just aren't aware. Have you noticed that how most public events now include some sort of statement on the military? I'm talking about the US but am sure it is going on elsewhere too. You can't justify spending totally outlandish amounts of money on a war machine when you don't have a war, even if there hasn't been an actual legally defined war since WW2 in the states. I see it everyday where I work. I had hoped that the human race would be beyond the nationalist politics by now & be working more toward the betterment of the human race. Pretty sure I'm not going to live to see it. I know I've digressed a bit but the current iteration of "The Wall" was a huge wake up call/statement about this stuff. Its refreshing to see an artist take the chance & risk public condemnation to bring a spotlight to these issues. Neil Young is doing the same thing. There is far too little of that nowadays. All of this just my opinion & I in no way am saying anything bad about people who have served. The question is who or what have they served. To quote John Lennon: "all we are saying, is give peace a chance".

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 3, 2015 13:31

HMS
TheGreek
so is this new release a complete Wall concert ?or is it chopped up?

The DVD/BR is not a concert film. There are documentaries between songs, that of course spoils the flow. The CD has the full concert but I´m sure it is so heavily overdubbed that it is almost a studio re-recording of The Wall.

The only sense in this tour is to get Roger a lot of money. He´s lip-syncing most of the time, oh my goodness. He never was much of a singer but when his voice has gotten so weak that he cant sing live anymore he should better quit this game. Give the people live music and give the people live vocals or else piss off.
thank you for the info .

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 3, 2015 15:25

I also just bought and watched the Blu-ray (having seen RW's Wall 3x and Pink Floyd do the Wall in London in 1981.) It's a great watch overall - but while I appreciate him working the story of his father into it, I kept thinking 'I wish there was a way to watch just the show'. Hoping the interludes of him driving around are chapters you can skip.
I also kind of wish they didn't keep cutting to Roger during The Trial - that animation itself is just so great - we don't need to see you in your Black T-Shirt every 5 seconds Roger.
Two other things struck me - what a truly incredible, intricate visual show this was. Amazing. The other is, musically, other than having Waters, it's almost like one of those Pink Floyd Tribute shows.
I just got a ticket yesterday to David Gilmour at Radio City in NY - now THAT's something I'm expecting to be musically stunning.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: December 3, 2015 15:50

I react strongly against this just out of instinct. I`ve never followed Waters through the years so I don`t really know, I admit. He has been milking this piece of music for many years now, as if he realize it doesn`t get any better than this.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: December 3, 2015 15:54

noughties
I react strongly against this just out of instinct. I`ve never followed Waters through the years so I don`t really know, I admit. He has been milking this piece of music for many years now, as if he realize it doesn`t get any better than this.

I know a couple of more acts that have been milking their hits for a few years now. cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 3, 2015 19:33

DEmerson
I also just bought and watched the Blu-ray (having seen RW's Wall 3x and Pink Floyd do the Wall in London in 1981.) It's a great watch overall - but while I appreciate him working the story of his father into it, I kept thinking 'I wish there was a way to watch just the show'. Hoping the interludes of him driving around are chapters you can skip.
I also kind of wish they didn't keep cutting to Roger during The Trial - that animation itself is just so great - we don't need to see you in your Black T-Shirt every 5 seconds Roger.
Two other things struck me - what a truly incredible, intricate visual show this was. Amazing. The other is, musically, other than having Waters, it's almost like one of those Pink Floyd Tribute shows.
I just got a ticket yesterday to David Gilmour at Radio City in NY - now THAT's something I'm expecting to be musically stunning.

Agree with all of the above DEmerson. It was awesome to incorporate some of the original Gearld Scarfe animation into Rogers new version live, but they really screwed it up in the film editing - it's pretty much iconic and should never have been fiddled with. Along with messing up the trial, the original flowers scene was totally screwed up, almost like it had been censored for graphic content. wtf? After showing the teasing build-up with the haunting music, and right before the moment of 'impact' shall we say, it cuts off to some other scene.

Anyways, here's a snippet of it in all it's uncensored original glory (this clip taken from the '82 movie, which was extended visually and musically beyond the original album and concerts):

Pink Floyd - Gerald Scarfe Animation

crholmstrom
Having lost my dad this year (mom been gone 20 years), the film hit me hard on an emotional level.

Condolences regarding your father. I lost my father when I was 12 yrs.old, so perhaps that's one of the reasons the original concept of the album has always resonated with me heavily.
And even though these father/son/cemetery scenes, etc. in the new film mess with the concert flow and should probably be optional when viewing the blu-ray/dvd, they are rather moving in their own right.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 3, 2015 21:27

I can't forgive lip syncing when you are paying for a live show! Sorry, no matter how impressive The Wall Show may be, lip syncing and playing tapes of a band playing is not a live show. With at the complaining about the Stones being Vegas, they are playing live, and not playing live and just relying on a show is Vegas!

The Wall has never been one of my go to Floyd discs. I find it a bit boring and pompous. And to see it "live" and to realize it is just lip syncing, yeah, I'll pass.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 3, 2015 23:19

whitem8
I can't forgive lip syncing when you are paying for a live show! Sorry, no matter how impressive The Wall Show may be, lip syncing and playing tapes of a band playing is not a live show. With at the complaining about the Stones being Vegas, they are playing live, and not playing live and just relying on a show is Vegas!

The Wall has never been one of my go to Floyd discs. I find it a bit boring and pompous. And to see it "live" and to realize it is just lip syncing, yeah, I'll pass.

You would be even more disappointed if you had to hear Roger sing all the tunes live. lol I guess we all have our expectations, mine were pretty high but I just looked at it as a theatrical event, and as such it didn't disappoint. I do agree with you about The Wall, it was the beginning of the end for my Floyd infatuation but Rogers shows were big and engaging and better than most other entertainment offered at the time. A choreographed visual and audio assault with decent music, the live/lip synced aspect didn't seem as important at the time.

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: December 4, 2015 03:27

I hope this film is the final chapter with The Wall...I'm so sick of him continually going back to this...I agree with whitem8...The Wall just isn't my cup of tea either...I wish he'd finish this studio album he's been talking about for years...the most interesting thing I've seen of Roger Waters recently was his set at Newport Folk Festival with My Morning Jacket earlier this year...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 4, 2015 03:42

aftergeography
I hope this film is the final chapter with The Wall...I'm so sick of him continually going back to this...I agree with whitem8...The Wall just isn't my cup of tea either...I wish he'd finish this studio album he's been talking about for years...the most interesting thing I've seen of Roger Waters recently was his set at Newport Folk Festival with My Morning Jacket earlier this year...

[www.youtube.com]

Along with the studio album he's been working on for years, he's been talking about doing a Broadway theatrical production of the Wall with some comedy elements incorporated. Seriously wtf.

Here's a new tune that might make it onto his new album if it's ever completed.
Sounds good, as does his live vocals (which were never one of his strengths to begin with). To bad he doesn't sing live 100% of the time....

Roger Waters w/ My Morning Jacket - Crystal Clear (New song), Newport Folk Festival, 2015

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: December 4, 2015 04:30

I think MMJ did a fantastic job of backing him up...i wish he'd get them in the studio with him! Roger and Jim James could return him to some analog tape loop effects and leave this opera sounding s#%@ behind him.

Date: December 4, 2015 11:47

I would be very interested in seeing him do something live with "Amused To Death". I've been listening to that a lot since it came out on reissue. I think that record was 20 years ahead of its time. The lyrics are really intense & good & are totally relative to the present time. Maybe Roger should give Jeff Beck a call...I would travel for that one! Thanks to all for a lively discussion on this. It's good that there have been vastly differing opinions & absolutely no name calling, etc. Respect for all points of view!smileys with beer

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 4, 2015 12:32

"Amused To Death" is a masterpiece, no doubt about it. But a even greater masterpiece is "The Final Cut" (in fact a RW-album with the other Floyds backing).

But the real masterpiece, the greatest masterpiece of all, simply the best music RW ever created is "The Pros And Cons Of Hitch-hiking".

Date: December 4, 2015 13:53

Hairball
aftergeography

[www.youtube.com]

Along with the studio album he's been working on for years, he's been talking about doing a Broadway theatrical production of the Wall with some comedy elements incorporated. Seriously wtf. Here's a new tune that might make it onto his new album if it's ever completed.
Sounds good, as does his live vocals (which were never one of his strengths to begin with). To bad he doesn't sing live 100% of the time....

Roger Waters w/ My Morning Jacket - Crystal Clear (New song), Newport Folk Festival, 2015

this is very good , would love a new album and a tour backed by My Morning Jacket

Date: December 4, 2015 13:55

HMS
"Amused To Death" is a masterpiece, no doubt about it. But a even greater masterpiece is "The Final Cut" (in fact a RW-album with the other Floyds backing).

But the real masterpiece, the greatest masterpiece of all, simply the best music RW ever created is "The Pros And Cons Of Hitch-hiking".
agree 100% about "Amused to Death" the final cut was good but without Rick Wright who had been sacked but was allowed to play at the Earl's court wall shows .

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 4, 2015 14:43

Hairball - yes - just as the flower is ready to devour the other flower - the climactic scene (!) they cut to guitarist in 'guitar face' pose. Stupid.

Date: December 4, 2015 19:36

crholmstrom
I would be very interested in seeing him do something live with "Amused To Death". I've been listening to that a lot since it came out on reissue. I think that record was 20 years ahead of its time. The lyrics are really intense & good & are totally relative to the present time. Maybe Roger should give Jeff Beck a call...I would travel for that one! Thanks to all for a lively discussion on this. It's good that there have been vastly differing opinions & absolutely no name calling, etc. Respect for all points of view!smileys with beer

The Ballad of Bill Hubbard

The first song, "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard", features a sample of World War I veteran Alfred "Raz" Razzell, a member of the Royal Fusiliers (much like Waters' father Eric Fletcher Waters had been in World War II) who describes his account of finding fellow soldier William "Bill" Hubbard, to whom the album is dedicated, severely wounded on the battlefield. After failed attempts to take him to safety, Razzell is forced to abandon him in no-man's land.This sample is continued at the end of the title track, at the very end of the album, providing a more upbeat coda to the tragic story.

Lyrics:

"Two things that have haunted me most are the days when I had to collect the paybooks; and when I left Bill Hubbard in no-man's-land.

"I was picked up and taken into their trench. And I'd no sooner taken two or three steps down the trench when I heard a call, 'Hello Razz, I'm glad to see you. This is my second night here,' and he said 'I'm feeling bad,' and it was Bill Hubbard, one of the men we'd trained in England, one of the original battalion.

I had a look at his wound, rolled him over... I could see it was probably a fatal wound. You could imagine what pain he was in, he was dripping with sweat...

...and after I'd gone about three shellholes, traversed that, had it been... had there been a path or a road I could have done better. He pummelled me, 'Put me down, put me down, I'd rather die, I'd rather die, put me down.' I was hoping he would faint. He said 'I can't go any further, let me die.' I said 'If I leave you here Bill you won't be found, let's have another go.' He said 'All right then.' And the same thing happened; he couldn't stand it any more, and I had to leave him there, in no-man's-land."

"Years later, I saw Bill Hubbard's name on the memorial to the missing at Aras[?]. And I... when I saw his name, I was absolutely transfixed. It was as though he was now a human being instead of some sort of nightmarish memory of how I had to leave him, all those years ago. And I felt relieved. And ever since then, I've felt happier about it, because always before, whenever I thought of him, I said to myself; 'Was there something else that I could have done?' [background: "I'd rather die, I'd rather die..."] And that always sort of worried me.

And having seen him, and his name in the register - as you know in the memorials there's a little safe, there's a register in there with every name - and seeing his name, and his name on the memorial; it sort of lightened my... heart, if you like." (woman) "When was it that you saw his name on the memorial?" "Ah, when I was eighty-seven, that would be a year, ninetee... eighty-four, nineteen eighty-four."

Date: December 5, 2015 01:45

Hairball
crholmstrom

The Ballad of Bill Hubbard

The first song, "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard", features a sample of World War I veteran Alfred "Raz" Razzell, a member of the Royal Fusiliers (much like Waters' father Eric Fletcher Waters had been in World War II) who describes his account of finding fellow soldier William "Bill" Hubbard, to whom the album is dedicated, severely wounded on the battlefield. After failed attempts to take him to safety, Razzell is forced to abandon him in no-man's land.This sample is continued at the end of the title track, at the very end of the album, providing a more upbeat coda to the tragic story.

Lyrics:

"Two things that have haunted me most are the days when I had to collect the paybooks; and when I left Bill Hubbard in no-man's-land.

"I was picked up and taken into their trench. And I'd no sooner taken two or three steps down the trench when I heard a call, 'Hello Razz, I'm glad to see you. This is my second night here,' and he said 'I'm feeling bad,' and it was Bill Hubbard, one of the men we'd trained in England, one of the original battalion.

I had a look at his wound, rolled him over... I could see it was probably a fatal wound. You could imagine what pain he was in, he was dripping with sweat...

...and after I'd gone about three shellholes, traversed that, had it been... had there been a path or a road I could have done better. He pummelled me, 'Put me down, put me down, I'd rather die, I'd rather die, put me down.' I was hoping he would faint. He said 'I can't go any further, let me die.' I said 'If I leave you here Bill you won't be found, let's have another go.' He said 'All right then.' And the same thing happened; he couldn't stand it any more, and I had to leave him there, in no-man's-land."

"Years later, I saw Bill Hubbard's name on the memorial to the missing at Aras[?]. And I... when I saw his name, I was absolutely transfixed. It was as though he was now a human being instead of some sort of nightmarish memory of how I had to leave him, all those years ago. And I felt relieved. And ever since then, I've felt happier about it, because always before, whenever I thought of him, I said to myself; 'Was there something else that I could have done?' [background: "I'd rather die, I'd rather die..."] And that always sort of worried me.

And having seen him, and his name in the register - as you know in the memorials there's a little safe, there's a register in there with every name - and seeing his name, and his name on the memorial; it sort of lightened my... heart, if you like." (woman) "When was it that you saw his name on the memorial?" "Ah, when I was eighty-seven, that would be a year, ninetee... eighty-four, nineteen eighty-four."

Thanks for this!smileys with beer

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: December 5, 2015 02:04

Have any of you heard the DVD-A and 5.1 versions of Amused To Death he released earlier this year? Just got the bluray today, will watch it over the weekend.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: December 5, 2015 04:22

His days as a reputable artist are over. Lip-synching is sacrilegious, as far as credibility as a musical artist goes. Why Roger why? Big ugh

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 5, 2015 05:29

The Mez
His days as a reputable artist are over. Lip-synching is sacrilegious, as far as credibility as a musical artist goes. Why Roger why? Big ugh

As a bass player, arranger and lyricist I think his "sell by" date probably hasn't come quite yet Mez. And while I agree lip syncing is sacrilegious I'm willing to give him a pass on The Wall shows because it was such a choreographed theatrical event. But if he tried something like that in a solo musical concert I would be pretty disappointed.

Date: December 5, 2015 05:33

Svartmer
noughties

I know a couple of more acts that have been milking their hits for a few years now. cool smiley

Difference between them and Waters is that Waters washed his hands of Pink Floyd in the late 80s/early 90s... When Mick tried that in the mid-80s, he came crawling back. Roger keeps flipping out over the mention of the 'P-F' thing, yet he toured under (arguably) their best album for about three years. cool smiley

Date: December 5, 2015 06:18

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Svartmer
noughties

Difference between them and Waters is that Waters washed his hands of Pink Floyd in the late 80s/early 90s... When Mick tried that in the mid-80s, he came crawling back. Roger keeps flipping out over the mention of the 'P-F' thing, yet he toured under (arguably) their best album for about three years. cool smiley

Well he wrote nearly 99% of "(arguably) their best album", so you can't really blame him that much I guess. And as the original tour version ('80/81) was financially strapped and was only performed a handful of times, perhaps he felt the need to share the vision (or milk it) even more. Yes it seems odd to dedicate so much time and effort to something over 30 years old. Perhaps noughties is correct by saying Waters probably realized it's a much bigger draw than some of his esoteric solo work (*which it was). But it should be noted, he didn't just gather up some no-name musicians and tour arenas without any thought towards stage design, special effects, sound system, etc. He did update it in many ways, so it's not like it was just a regurgitation. Ultimately, it was a multi-media extravaganza that will be difficult for anyone to match on that same scale. For all of it's faults (lip-synching, cover band vibe, etc.) there were far more positives imo.

* "As of 2013, the tour holds the new record for being the highest grossing tour for a solo musician, surpassing the previous record holder, Madonna".

RogerWall

Not defending Roger Waters here - perhaps he needed the money? cool smiley

Date: December 5, 2015 06:54

Mr.D
Have any of you heard the DVD-A and 5.1 versions of Amused To Death he released earlier this year? Just got the bluray today, will watch it over the weekend.

The remastered "Amused" is amazing!

Date: December 5, 2015 06:55

Hairball
BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
Svartmer
noughties

Well he wrote nearly 99% of "(arguably) their best album", so you can't really blame him that much I guess. And as the original tour version ('80/81) was financially strapped and was only performed a handful of times, perhaps he felt the need to share the vision (or milk it) even more. Yes it seems odd to dedicate so much time and effort to something over 30 years old. Perhaps noughties is correct by saying Waters probably realized it's a much bigger draw than some of his esoteric solo work (*which it was). But it should be noted, he didn't just gather up some no-name musicians and tour arenas without any thought towards stage design, special effects, sound system, etc. He did update it in many ways, so it's not like it was just a regurgitation. Ultimately, it was a multi-media extravaganza that will be difficult for anyone to match on that same scale. For all of it's faults (lip-synching, cover band vibe, etc.) there were far more positives imo.

* "As of 2013, the tour holds the new record for being the highest grossing tour for a solo musician, surpassing the previous record holder, Madonna".

RogerWall

Not defending Roger Waters here - perhaps he needed the money? cool smiley

He has been a serial monogamist. Divorced 4 times...that could get a little spendy!eye popping smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1561
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home