Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Plundered My Soul
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 12, 2015 22:50

HMS
Yes indeed - DW is better than SG which has only two outstanding songs and TY which is in fact nothing but recycling left-overs, some of them even 1o years old.

If you would call SG, ER & TY a trilogy, ER would be the winner with SG as the taillight. Besides EOMS SG is the most overrated Stones-album in the band´s history.

And yes, Black And Blue is a marvelous album especially compared with IORR & GHS, both low-points in the band-career. It is slightly better than DW indeed, but if somebody would force me to burn either Black And Blue or DW, I still would burn Black And Blue.

Saying TY is just a "recycling" of "left-overs" since quite a few albums have "recycled" leftovers is silly. SF has leftovers from the LIB sessions. EOMS has leftovers from the LIB and SF sessions. On and on and on.

And no true real serious Stones fan would say DW is better than ANYTHING the Stones have released.

Date: December 12, 2015 22:53

HMS
Listening to DW - their best album from 1976 onwards - can never be a waste of time.

It is ALWAYS a waste of time.

You can't fool real true serious die hard Stones fans into thinking otherwise regardless of how you shine that turd with all of your garbage about it. You've only fooled yourself, in which you are clearly NOT a serious true die hard Stones fan.

But everyone here already knew that.

Date: December 12, 2015 23:03

HMS
But what makes Plundered unlistenable indeed is Mick´s new recorded singing.

When I listened to this song for the first time I thought this is Jagger singing like I haven't heard him for many years. What do you have against his voice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-12 23:04 by DancelittleSister.

Date: December 12, 2015 23:04

treaclefingers
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
ab
Never understood people's fondness for Plundered My Soul.

I think it has a lot to do with Taylor being back, hence people are loving it for sentimental reasons. I could be wrong, though.

Of course you are right. As I am if I say that the reason why some (even more strange) people are NOT liking the song is beacuse Mick Taylor IS on it, or not having Ron Wood there...

Seriously, I think the reason why many people like this song is because they have a thing called taste of their own and they use it might fine; based on their own judgement they actually like the song, that is, they consider it as a good song... Maybe that is pretty hard for some others to understand/accept..

- Doxa

I'm not sure about the fallout from this post Doxa, but once again you've nailed it of course...I'll now read the other two pages of this thread.

It's also liked because it's reallyfuckingood.

Date: December 13, 2015 00:22

DancelittleSister
HMS
But what makes Plundered unlistenable indeed is Mick´s new recorded singing.

When I listened to this song for the first time I thought this is Jagger singing like I haven't heard him for many years. What do you have against his voice?

What kind of question is that? The trog thinks DIRTY WORK is their greatest work ever. No real Stones fan thinks that.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 13, 2015 00:34

On Plundered My Soul Mick sounds like emulating himself. He mimics his former early-70s persona.

I dont like the way he sings on PMS, it sounds so pressed, so whiny, too forced.

I do not think of DW as their greatest work ever (only a fool would do that with albums like LIB, SF, BB, B&B in their back-catalog), but as their best album since Black And Blue.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 13, 2015 00:49

HMS
On Plundered My Soul Mick sounds like emulating himself. He mimics his former early-70s persona.

I dont like the way he sings on PMS, it sounds so pressed, so whiny, too forced.

I do not think of DW as their greatest work ever (only a fool would do that with albums like LIB, SF, BB, B&B in their back-catalog), but as their best album since Black And Blue.

That's like saying that "Sweet Neo Con" is the Stones' best song since "Short-n-Curlies"

Date: December 13, 2015 00:51

HMS is a fool. He loves bunk. His originality exists only in his septic thinking about DIRTY WORK.

Date: December 13, 2015 00:59

GasLightStreet
HMS is a fool. He loves bunk. His originality exists only in his septic thinking about DIRTY WORK.

I assume he's joking about it all and that EOMS is his favorite album and Gimme Shelter his favorite song... ;-)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 13, 2015 01:02

RockinJive
Junk song. Should be called Plunger My Toilet

cool smiley

Date: December 13, 2015 12:29

Turner68
GasLightStreet

I assume he's joking about it all and that EOMS is his favorite album and Gimme Shelter his favorite song... ;-)

I´m not joking about Dirty Work. I mean whatever I wrote about this fantastic album. EOMS could be one of my top-favorites, if it was a single album without all that unnecessary subpar stuff on it. But even if it would have been a 12-track-album, it would not have been their best album... LIB and SF are better albums.

JJF is my favorite Stones-song. Gimme Shelter is my second-best favorite indeed.

To put aside all this saying about Dirty Work being my "favorite Stones-album of all times" here´s my ranking:

1. Let It Bleed
2. Sticky Fingers
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Black and Blue
5. EOMS
6. Dirty Work
7. Undercover
8. Emotional Rescue

EOMS as No 5 is a rather high rating for this album, but it has some of the very best ballads the Stones have ever recorded. Without Shine A Light, Sweet Virgina and Let It Loose it would be No 10 or 12, maybe 14 or 16. Dirty Work - I am convinced of that - is the most outstanding album of the Ron-Wood-era, their finest album in almost 40 years.

Plundered My Soul, as bad as it is, is still ten times better than Following The River and a million times better than the other Exile-bonus-disc-crap. In fact you might say PMS is the best of the new tracks, even though it´s awful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-13 12:35 by HMS.

Date: December 13, 2015 13:16

GasLightStreet
HMS is a fool.

Btw, In some way GLS is right: I am a fool. A fool for Dirty Work, I can´t help loving this marvelous album. I will stay in love with it for the rest of my life.

Date: December 14, 2015 00:19

As everyone noticed and for good reason, leftovers from SOME GIRLS and EXILE got a lot of attention. That will never happen for DIRTY WORK - hardly anyone knows that album and Harlem Shuffle is just some track on JUMP BACK or FORTY LICKS that the HOT ROCKS/REWIND crowd knows.

Plundered brought back the vibe so many Stones fans love. It's not necessarily the EXILE vibe, it's the vibe of a band firing on everything they've got. Bringing Taylor in to finish it was no different than if he had finished it in 1971.

DIRTY WORK proved how sterile and bland the Stones could get, especially with 3 cover tunes on it and the rest being mediocre at minimum best.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 14, 2015 12:31

GasLightStreet
DIRTY WORK proved how sterile and bland the Stones could get, especially with 3 cover tunes on it and the rest being mediocre at minimum best.

While I agree with you that Dirty Work is a terrible album, I wouldn't call it bland or mediocre. Terrible, yes. Insane, WTF, what-the-hell-were they-thinking, cringeworthy, embarrassing, cacaphonic, an enormous turd. (Apart from 3 songs). But mediocre? That's more applicable to SW.

Date: December 14, 2015 13:40

HMS
GasLightStreet
HMS is a fool.

Btw, In some way GLS is right: I am a fool. A fool for Dirty Work, I can´t help loving this marvelous album. I will stay in love with it for the rest of my life.

grinning smiley

Date: December 15, 2015 02:15

HMS
Turner68
GasLightStreet

I´m not joking about Dirty Work. I mean whatever I wrote about this fantastic album. EOMS could be one of my top-favorites, if it was a single album without all that unnecessary subpar stuff on it. But even if it would have been a 12-track-album, it would not have been their best album... LIB and SF are better albums.

JJF is my favorite Stones-song. Gimme Shelter is my second-best favorite indeed.

To put aside all this saying about Dirty Work being my "favorite Stones-album of all times" here´s my ranking:

1. Let It Bleed
2. Sticky Fingers
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Black and Blue
5. EOMS
6. Dirty Work
7. Undercover
8. Emotional Rescue

EOMS as No 5 is a rather high rating for this album, but it has some of the very best ballads the Stones have ever recorded. Without Shine A Light, Sweet Virgina and Let It Loose it would be No 10 or 12, maybe 14 or 16. Dirty Work - I am convinced of that - is the most outstanding album of the Ron-Wood-era, their finest album in almost 40 years.

Plundered My Soul, as bad as it is, is still ten times better than Following The River and a million times better than the other Exile-bonus-disc-crap. In fact you might say PMS is the best of the new tracks, even though it´s awful.

So, purely hypothetically, if "Shine a Light" had not been on EOMS, would you rank Dirty Work ahead of EOMS?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 15, 2015 11:32

grinning smiley grinning smiley

Date: December 15, 2015 21:08

Turner68
So, purely hypothetically, if "Shine a Light" had not been on EOMS, would you rank Dirty Work ahead of EOMS?

Sure. Without a moment of hesitation.

Date: December 15, 2015 21:19

GasLightStreet
DIRTY WORK - hardly anyone knows that album...
[...]

Hardly anyone? Man, there are millions of Stones-fans all over the world who have bought ALL of their albums... and listened to it.

I can only see 2 cover tunes on DW (Too Rude & Harlem Shuffle), I dont count the 30 seconds of Key To The Highway. And it´s nothing wrong covering other people´s songs, the Stones started their career this way and it were fine albums... and if great songs like One Hit, DW, Sleep Tonight, Winning Ugly and Had It With You are "mediocre at minimum best" than one might have to dump a good third of their entire musical output...

Date: December 16, 2015 17:57

matxil
GasLightStreet

While I agree with you that Dirty Work is a terrible album, I wouldn't call it bland or mediocre. Terrible, yes. Insane, WTF, what-the-hell-were they-thinking, cringeworthy, embarrassing, cacaphonic, an enormous turd. (Apart from 3 songs). But mediocre? That's more applicable to SW.

You're right.

What the hell was I thinking? I must've been thinking of something else. Probably STEEL WHEELS.

Date: December 16, 2015 18:03

HMS
GasLightStreet
DIRTY WORK - hardly anyone knows that album...
[...]

Hardly anyone? Man, there are millions of Stones-fans all over the world who have bought ALL of their albums... and listened to it.

I can only see 2 cover tunes on DW (Too Rude & Harlem Shuffle), I dont count the 30 seconds of Key To The Highway. And it´s nothing wrong covering other people´s songs, the Stones started their career this way and it were fine albums... and if great songs like One Hit, DW, Sleep Tonight, Winning Ugly and Had It With You are "mediocre at minimum best" than one might have to dump a good third of their entire musical output...

Millions of people did not buy FURTY WORK. A million plus people did, most likely a slight majority of them being Stones fans and listening to it once and setting it aside for life - as any serious Stones fan would. Why listen to their worst album again? It's not going to get better.

The 3 covers on FURRY WORK are:

Harlem Shuffle
Too Rude
Sleep Tonight

Sleep Tonight is a cover of Coming Down Again's bridge. They were so stretched thin for that album's sessions that they had to steal from themselves to come up with something.

Date: December 16, 2015 18:25

No serious Stones-fan would set aside one of their best albums, which DW indeed is, if you listen to it with an open mind and open ears.

They weren´t stretched thin, they had lots and lots of material. Plenty of interesting outtakes floating around, unfortunately they never gave some of these songs a final polish. Dirty Work could have been easily a double album with all that material they´ve got and still they would not have used all of it.

Stealing from themselves? That´s what they do almost from the very first beginning. If the Stones steal from the Stones, they´re stealing from the best, so nothing wrong with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-16 18:25 by HMS.

Date: December 16, 2015 18:55

HMS
No serious Stones-fan would set aside one of their best albums, which DW indeed is, if you listen to it with an open mind and open ears.

I did that the second part in 1986. It failed. And no serious true Stones fan sets aside one of their best albums, only their worst album of all time - which is DIRTY WORK.

HMS
They weren´t stretched thin, they had lots and lots of material

Having "lots and lost of material" doesn't equal quality, something you don't understand.

HMS
Plenty of interesting outtakes floating around, unfortunately they never gave some of these songs a final polish. Dirty Work could have been easily a double album with all that material they´ve got and still they would not have used all of it.

Fortunately DIRTY WORK was not a double album. Those outtakes are interesting indeed - that they did not get released. It is good to listen to how bad some things were because it not only provides some comic relief, it makes Jagger's solo albums look that much worse.

HMS
Stealing from themselves? That´s what they do almost from the very first beginning. If the Stones steal from the Stones, they´re stealing from the best, so nothing wrong with that.

Only once had the Stones flat out stolen one of their own ideas - but that was just a riff; it wasn't the same key even. This is an arrangement - even more so, an entire part of a song to make into a song itself. That reeks of desperation to come up with something. Granted, it's a fantastic act of thievery seeing that Keith stole from one of his best songs from a great album.

But it defines the entire sessions for that excuse of an album: the best track is a cover and the first single. From there it's off a cliff into their most unknown and, thankfully, unheard album.

If they'd of had something anywhere near the quality of Plundered My Soul it could've provided a bit of hope. Those days were long gone.

Date: December 17, 2015 16:58

You´ve been listening to DW the last time in 1986? You have to give it a try at least every month. Me, for instance, I am listening to Exile a couple of times every year - the entire album with all the fillers and so-so´s. I even listen to Between The Buttons every now and then.

Talking about lots and lots of material doesn´t equal quality, Exile has lots and lots of material and a remarkable amount of fillers as well... so Exile is a good example.

I have listened to DW thousands of times over the years but never noticed that Sleep Tonight steals from Coming Down Again.

Even if it´s true that DW is their most unknown/unheard album, there is still a chance that next generations will recognize it as the true gem that it is.

Date: December 17, 2015 17:06

HMS
You´ve been listening to DW the last time in 1986? You have to give it a try at least every month. Me, for instance, I am listening to Exile a couple of times every year - the entire album with all the fillers and so-so´s. I even listen to Between The Buttons every now and then.

Talking about lots and lots of material doesn´t equal quality, Exile has lots and lots of material and a remarkable amount of fillers as well... so Exile is a good example.

I have listened to DW thousands of times over the years but never noticed that Sleep Tonight steals from Coming Down Again.

Even if it´s true that DW is their most unknown/unheard album, there is still a chance that next generations will recognize it as the true gem that it is.

I also didn't notice the Coming Down Again/Sleep Tonight connection until it was pointed out here.

What songs on Dirty Work do you consider superior to "Tumbling Dice" and "Happy"?

Date: December 17, 2015 17:23

One Hit
Winning Ugly
Harlem Shuffle
DW
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

Date: December 17, 2015 17:50

HMS
One Hit
Winning Ugly
Harlem Shuffle
DW
Had It With You
Sleep Tonight

I almost choked on my morning scrambled eggs when I read "winning ugly".

Date: December 17, 2015 18:16

Turner68
I almost choked on my morning scrambled eggs when I read "winning ugly".

You better finsih your meals before reading my posts...cool smiley

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 17, 2015 19:15

HMS
Turner68

Sure. Without a moment of hesitation.

You remind me of those mountain climbers who keep on wanting to climb higher mountains.

Date: December 17, 2015 21:43

These are the songs that save EOMS from being average compared to the group´s truly great albums BB, LIB, U, DW & SF:

Rocks Off
Sweet Virginia
Torned & Frayed
Loving Cup
Let It Loose
All Down The Line
Shine A Light

These songs are outstanding indeed, like almost all of the songs on BB, SF, DW, U, LIB.

This is how EOMS should have been released, imo:

Rocks Off
Rip This Joint
All Down The Line
Torned & Frayed
Loving Cup
Stop Breaking Down
Shine A Light
Soul Survivor
Happy
Sweet Virginia
Let It Loose
(the sequence of songs however is open for discussion)

Plundered My Soul is a boooooooooring song and - "thanks" to Mick´s new vocals - borderline-horrible. If Mick had completed that song in 19.. (whenever it was actually recorded for the first time, GLS sure knows that, I don´t) the result would have been better but the song still would have been to weak to find a place on the original album. It already has some weak tunes, why include one more.

Finally, these are the fillers, the so-so´s, the superfluous (in fact even more than Voodoo Lounge has):

Shake Your Hips*
Casino Boogie*
Tumbling Dice**
Sweet Black Angel***
Turd On The Run*
I Just Wanna See His Face***
Ventilator Blues*

*filler
**so-so
***superfluous

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2226
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home