Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

real funny chuck berry - carol and queenie 1989 ...
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: November 23, 2015 20:56

hi,

now this is very funny, watch and enjoy ...

[www.youtube.com]

Re: real funny chuck berry - carol and queenie 1989 ...
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 23, 2015 21:37

This was fun to watch. CB is quite the showman here having a good time playing the audience. If ever there was to be a Mount Rushmore of rock'n'roll and r and b players, Mister B's face should be the first upon it. They can call Elvis P "the king" but Chuck is "the rock" upon which most all stands including our beloeved Stones.

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: November 24, 2015 09:23

Great great stuff!Check out that BBC show from London 72!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 24, 2015 10:04

Showman indeed. This part of the movie Rock, Rock, Rock! with Chuck playing/acting
You can't catch me cracks me up!

[www.youtube.com]

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Re: real funny Chuck Berry - carol and queenie 1989 ...
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 24, 2015 11:57

That was fun to watch indeed - was he making fun of himself or the Tonight Show audience
by playing Carol like Johnny B Goode? Doesn't matter I guess - hail hail rock & roll

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 24, 2015 13:39

that was so awesome early this morning , Chuck is a national treasure !!!!!!!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 24, 2015 17:42

He sounds and looks amazing here, and he was 62!

It really sucks that he wasted his talent and career by not writing or recording anything of note past the '70s, and by never paying a decent backing band to accompany him onstage.

He could've been so much more impactful to the rock'n'roll community later into his career if greed and bitterness hadn't derailed him.

And yes, I KNOW he had nothing left to prove after the '60s, but it's still a shame that he was content playing with sloppy local backing bands and never writing new music.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 24, 2015 17:58

Was there some sort of agreement that the band couldn't be seen during the performance? Strange that he had the back and forth but camera was fixed on Chuck…lol

The audience sure loved it!!

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: November 24, 2015 18:09

keefriff99

It really sucks that he wasted his talent and career by not writing or recording anything of note past the '70s, and by never paying a decent backing band to accompany him onstage.

He could've been so much more impactful to the rock'n'roll community later into his career if greed and bitterness hadn't derailed him.

And yes, I KNOW he had nothing left to prove after the '60s, but it's still a shame that he was content playing with sloppy local backing bands and never writing new music.

I agree with everything you said, but please don't blame the local backing bands for Chuck's poor performances. I saw him in the early 80s (Riverside Theatre, Milwaukee) and it was easily the most unprofessional, disappointing rock n roll show I've ever seen; and none of it had to do with the backing band--it was all Chuck. His touring M.O. is to show up minutes before showtime, tell the band "OK, we're gonna play Chuck Berry songs" and go on stage. The problem is that Chuck changes the arrangements to songs whenever he feels like it and plays in odd, un-rock n roll keys, like B flat. At the show I saw he continually stopped songs to "instruct" the band how he wanted it played, then ignored his own instructions and berated the poor band for not getting it "right." Honestly, I don't think he played a complete song the entire night. The big finale was a rushed, one-verse-one-chorus Johnny B Goode, a half-hearted duck walk and he was gone.

A true American poet and the real king of rock n roll but, sheeesh, what a jerk.

Date: November 24, 2015 18:10

Maindefender
Was there some sort of agreement that the band couldn't be seen during the performance? Strange that he had the back and forth but camera was fixed on Chuck…lol

The audience sure loved it!!
I think Johnny's house band (led by Doc Severinsen) was backing up Chuck.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: November 24, 2015 20:51

hi marcovandereijk,

"you can't catch me" is funny too,
typical chuck, not taking things too serious
(Keith knows since hail hail ...)

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 24, 2015 20:56

i wish the stones would do something cool for chuck, i know they have in the past, but everyone who likes rock-n-roll owes him so much and he won't be with us forever.

Date: November 24, 2015 21:06

TheBadRabbit
keefriff99

I agree with everything you said, but please don't blame the local backing bands for Chuck's poor performances. I saw him in the early 80s (Riverside Theatre, Milwaukee) and it was easily the most unprofessional, disappointing rock n roll show I've ever seen; and none of it had to do with the backing band--it was all Chuck. His touring M.O. is to show up minutes before showtime, tell the band "OK, we're gonna play Chuck Berry songs" and go on stage. The problem is that Chuck changes the arrangements to songs whenever he feels like it and plays in odd, un-rock n roll keys, like B flat. At the show I saw he continually stopped songs to "instruct" the band how he wanted it played, then ignored his own instructions and berated the poor band for not getting it "right." Honestly, I don't think he played a complete song the entire night. The big finale was a rushed, one-verse-one-chorus Johnny B Goode, a half-hearted duck walk and he was gone.

A true American poet and the real king of rock n roll but, sheeesh, what a jerk.
Yeah, you're right. Chuck, and Chuck alone, is responsible for the quality of his live performances, not the poor bands that had to deal with his erratic nature.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1348
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home