Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Revisiting Primitive Cool
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 22, 2015 11:49

Mick´s problem is that people only see him as part of the legendary Rolling Stones, they don´t see him as a legend of his own. In the minds of people he was, is and will always remain the singer of the greatest rock n roll band. Hardly anybody wants him as a solo-artist. They are not interested in Mick Jagger outside of the Rolling Stones.

Plus, when he is going solo, he produces mostly music that appeals to no one. Stones-fans usually dont like his modern approach and people who like modern sounding music have better options than buying music of an aging rock n roll star doing stuff that doesnt really fit him.

He is chained to the Rolling Stones for life. And he is basically a rhythm n blues singer, surrounding him with modern studio sounds turns out to be ridiculous almost every time. Would he instead record a solo-album of rhythm and blues classics, it wouldnt be ridicilous, it would turn out to be great. He isnt able to accept where his real talents lie, so he gave us all this horrible shit almost everyone of us is tired of.

Ruthless People & God Gave Me Everything are great songs btw and would have been even greater if he had recorded these songs with the Stones.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 22, 2015 14:12

Just remembered I had some studio-outtakes from The Primitive Cool Sessions. They are in great sound quality. A Blues Jam (with Jeff Beck and Mick doing some harp), two versions of Danger Up Ahead (one almost instrumental) and Gangster's Moll (a new take on the classic Emotional Rescue outtake from 1979).
Interesting.

This is from www.nzentgraf.de:
1987-late February onwards (until late May): MICK JAGGER. New York, Right Track Studios. Mixing and overdubbing of the upcoming album Primitive Cool. Producer: MJ. Sound engineer: Ed Stasium. Musicians: MJ (voc, gtr, harm, autoharp, perc)/Vernon Reid (gtr)/Jimmy Rip (gtr)/Phil Ashley (keyb)/Richard Cottle (keyb)/Jim Barber (gtr)/G.E. Smith(gtr)/Jeff Beck (gtr)/Denzil Miller (keyb)/Greg Philingaines (keyb)/David Sanborn (sax)/John Faddis (tp)/Sean Keane (fiddle)/Paddy Moloney (whistle and Uileann pipes)/Ernst Hanes (gamelan)/Jocelyn Brown, Cindy Mizelle, Craig Derry and Brenda King (bvoc)
- Blues jam ( )
- Catch As Catch Can II (MJ) -single-version
- Danger Up Ahead II (MJ)
- Gangsters Moll (MJ/KR)
- Kow Tow II (MJ/Dave Stewart) -Primitive Cool-version
- Let’s Work II (MJ/Dave Stewart) -Primitive Cool-version
- Let’s Work III (MJ/Dave Stewart) -shortened single-version
- Let’s Work IV (MJ/Dave Stewart) -Dance Mix
- Let’s Work V (MJ/Dave Stewart) -Edit
- Party Doll II (MJ) -Primitive Cool-version
- Peace For The Wicked III (MJ) -Primitive Cool-version
- Primitive Cool II (MJ) -Primitive Cool-version
- Primitive Cool III (MJ) -Radio Edit
- Primitive Cool IV (MJ) -promofilm edit-
- Radio Control II (MJ) -Primitive Cool-version
- Say You Will II (MJ/Dave Stewart) -Primitive Cool-version
- Say You Will III (MJ/Dave Stewart) -shortened singleversion
- Say You Will IV (MJ/Dave Stewart) -Remix
- Say You Will V (MJ/Dave Stewart) -Instrumental Remix
- Shoot Off Your Mouth II (MJ) -Primitive Cool-version
- Throwaway II (MJ) -Primitive Cool-version
- Throwaway III (MJ) -Remix
- Throwaway IV (MJ) -Vocal Dub
- War Baby II (MJ) -Primitive Cool-version

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 22, 2015 14:40

BILLPERKS
They DONT create together & haven't for 30 plus years. If Mick had been successful as a solo artist he would've never worked with Keith again.But his solo efforts rendered him irrelevant without the STONES.

thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2015 16:50

HMS
Mick´s problem is that people only see him as part of the legendary Rolling Stones, they don´t see him as a legend of his own. In the minds of people he was, is and will always remain the singer of the greatest rock n roll band. Hardly anybody wants him as a solo-artist. They are not interested in Mick Jagger outside of the Rolling Stones.

Plus, when he is going solo, he produces mostly music that appeals to no one. Stones-fans usually dont like his modern approach and people who like modern sounding music have better options than buying music of an aging rock n roll star doing stuff that doesnt really fit him.

He is chained to the Rolling Stones for life. And he is basically a rhythm n blues singer, surrounding him with modern studio sounds turns out to be ridiculous almost every time. Would he instead record a solo-album of rhythm and blues classics, it wouldnt be ridicilous, it would turn out to be great. He isnt able to accept where his real talents lie, so he gave us all this horrible shit almost everyone of us is tired of.

Ruthless People & God Gave Me Everything are great songs btw and would have been even greater if he had recorded these songs with the Stones.

dead onthumbs up

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 23:37

I saw this recent album cover out of the corner of my eye and at first thought it was Mick's.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: January 7, 2016 06:18

Thoughts?

First off - THE WORST ALBUM COVER IN THE HISTORY OF THE MUSIC BUSINESS
COMING FROM A GUY IN HIS POSITION...there may have been more pathetic covers out there...but coming from the man of wealth and taste...that is just aweful.

THROWAWAY, KOW TOW, and SHOOT OFF YOUR MOUTH are listenable to me as a Stones/ Jagger fan...but I still would be embarrassed to turn someone onto these songs...kind of listen to them when nobody else is around...

The rest...I can't even listen to...though I listened to the album like crazy when it came out...

Funny thing...I had a friend who was the HUGEST OZZY FAN...listened to BLIZZARD OF OZ, DIARY OF A MADMAN and SPEAK OF THE DEVIL 24 hours a day...he loved LET'S WORK...because he liked the message of the song...go figure.

PECMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 06:20 by Pecman.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: January 7, 2016 06:20

I loved this record. It rocked IMO

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 7, 2016 06:57

It's not WANDERING SPIRIT by a long shot, but it is Jagger's second best solo effort and a solid one apart from the poor selection of the first single, the poor decision to use a remix as the album track, and the Godawful cover from an artist who did a good job with the "One Hit" picture sleeve the year before. It sounds very much like an album made to tour behind. In that sense, it's superior to the three studio albums that came before it. There is a lot of good playing, solid songwriting, and Mick's vocals are the best since UNDERCOVER. Not a bad album at all. Just a victim of the backlash of Stones fans who view Mick solo as a betrayal and Keith solo as authentic.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 07:46

My friend and I listened to Primitive Cool attentively all the way through immediately after I bought it. We were in University at the time and too primitively cool ourselves to admit that it was a blistering disappointment so the rest of the night we just drank beer and played Party Doll over and over again. Looking back I can't help feeling a little proud of myself - it was the right call.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 08:25

Mick's worst album by a margin. One caveat: I've never heard much of SuperHeavy. Christgau disagrees, he thinks it's a small cut above She's the Boss, but gives it a B minus. I'm sure Let's Work is responsible for the minus. Just too bad he didn't do a full-on workout video like Jane Fonda, like rock and roll workout.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 7, 2016 23:35

Kow Tow is one of the best solo songs Mick ever produced. Fabulous acoustic guitar and great sax solo.

It does sound 80s but the quality of the tune and great lyrics carry it through. Heartfelt and perhaps Mick's greatest statement on his spat with Keith.

There is a great outpouring of love as well as desperation here and the possible end of not only a great friendship but one of the greatest songwriting partnerships pop music has ever seen.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2016 23:48

Greil Marcus -- Real Life Rock

ROCKMAN

Date: January 8, 2016 00:25

Silver Dagger
Kow Tow is one of the best solo songs Mick ever produced. Fabulous acoustic guitar and great sax solo.

It does sound 80s but the quality of the tune and great lyrics carry it through. Heartfelt and perhaps Mick's greatest statement on his spat with Keith.

There is a great outpouring of love as well as desperation here and the possible end of not only a great friendship but one of the greatest songwriting partnerships pop music has ever seen.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 8, 2016 03:04

Silver Dagger
Kow Tow is one of the best solo songs Mick ever produced. Fabulous acoustic guitar and great sax solo...

I like Kow Tow as well, but to me the better songs are Peace For The Wicked and Radio Control. And Party Doll!

Date: January 8, 2016 10:47

Mick goes poodle rock (Throwaway), Mick goes teenage pop with latino beats (Let's Work), Mick goes prog-heavy (the title track), Mick goes irish (Party Doll).

It isn't the album or the songs as such that is horrible, it's the production. And I don't mean the mixing. It's the dressing the individual songs got and how they gel together that fails, imo. There is no flow, and no coherence.

Many of the songs are nice, actually. I really like Say You Will, Kow Tow, Primitive Cool and Party Doll. I could have enjoyed Throwaway as well, but I can't get past the boring Bon Jovi-playing Beck is doing there. It turns me off.

So, Mick wrote some good songs, which were (partly) ruined in the production. It took me a while to acknowledge this, but these songs are better written (better craft) than those of She's The Boss.

It was the next time around that Mick should succeed as a solo artist – both with a killer single and a killer album, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 10:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 8, 2016 10:56

I Think this album is pretty cool beeing from the shallowed eighties....and it is a Mick Jagger Solo Album

2 1 2 0

Date: January 8, 2016 11:18

Come On
I Think this album is pretty cool beeing from the shallowed eighties....and it is a Mick Jagger Solo Album

Couldn't help it – enjoy!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 8, 2016 11:23

The problem is, I tried, and I tried really hard, numerous times, to listen to Wandering Spirit, and it's not just that I don't like it (I don't like Steel Wheels either but I can listen to it), but I find it unbearable: the fake accents, the pseudo-rock-guitars, the keyboards, the "trying-too-hard". I am not even sure I can pinpoint what exactly it is what annoys me so much.
So, clearly, listening to Primitive Cool is a no-go area for me.
I can only say that I agree that Let's Work is one of the worst things ever, on the level of Back To Zero and Sweet Neocon. And that Say You Will is not a bad song, really. (I also liked Just Another Night and Hard Woman on She's The Boss, by the way). Also, I don't mind the cover on Primitive Cool so much. I find the covers on the Stones albums post-Steel-Wheels much worse (The Banana, The Lion and The Photoshop Exercise).

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 8, 2016 11:39

GasLightStreet
It wasn't until I was a bit older that the thought occurred to me that Mick going solo should've meant songs along the lines of Fingerprint File, Sweet Virginia, Miss You and Can You Hear The Music/If You Really Want To Be My Friend.

I don't think so. I think Mick really tried to do something completely different than with the Stones on his solo albums (apart from maybe Wndering Spirit), and as such, I respect that ambition. It's just that I don't like this different thing very much, but then why should I? There's a lot of 80's and 90's stuff I don't like (Prince, Michael Jackson, Terence Trent D'Arby, Lenny Kravitz) and clearly Mick's inspiration lied somewhere in that direction. If he would have wanted to do another Sweet Virginia, he could do that with the Stones. Maybe that's why I don't like Wandering Spirit either, since it's closest to what he does with the Stones, but clearly the Stones would have played those songs better.
With Keith, he stayed much closer in his solo-work to what he does with the Stones, especially the latter day Stones. Songs like Thru and Thru or Thief in the Night are not very different from his solo-work. It's also much closer to what originally inspired the Stones: blues, country, soul, rock n roll, although I do think he sort of developed a new approach to it, different from the 60's/early 70's Stones sound. In any case, it can't be that suprising that for a lot of Stones fans Keith's solo work is more accesible and loved than Mick's solo work.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 8, 2016 11:55

Primitive Cool is so lame and tame, so watered-down muzak, that I am unable to listen to it. The overall poppish production, the bloated and forced Radio Control, the awful schmaltzy Party Doll, the ridiculous War Baby, the annoying Primitive Cool... not to forget the indescribably Let´s Work... Shoot Off Your Mouth and Peace For The Wicked are the only tracks I can listen to without blushing in anger. In some way this album is even worse than Goddess In The Doorway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 12:03 by HMS.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 8, 2016 11:55

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Couldn't help it – enjoy!

Thanx! Brilliant stuff. Mick as Jacko...thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: January 8, 2016 12:46

HMS
Primitive Cool is so lame and tame, so watered-down muzak, that I am unable to listen to it. The overall poppish production, the bloated and forced Radio Control, the awful schmaltzy Party Doll, the ridiculous War Baby, the annoying Primitive Cool... not to forget the indescribably Let´s Work... Shoot Off Your Mouth and Peace For The Wicked are the only tracks I can listen to without blushing in anger. In some way this album is even worse than Goddess In The Doorway.

thumbs up

Embarassing and useless album.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 9, 2016 20:22

matxil
GasLightStreet
It wasn't until I was a bit older that the thought occurred to me that Mick going solo should've meant songs along the lines of Fingerprint File, Sweet Virginia, Miss You and Can You Hear The Music/If You Really Want To Be My Friend.

I don't think so. I think Mick really tried to do something completely different than with the Stones on his solo albums (apart from maybe Wndering Spirit), and as such, I respect that ambition. It's just that I don't like this different thing very much, but then why should I? There's a lot of 80's and 90's stuff I don't like (Prince, Michael Jackson, Terence Trent D'Arby, Lenny Kravitz) and clearly Mick's inspiration lied somewhere in that direction. If he would have wanted to do another Sweet Virginia, he could do that with the Stones. Maybe that's why I don't like Wandering Spirit either, since it's closest to what he does with the Stones, but clearly the Stones would have played those songs better.
With Keith, he stayed much closer in his solo-work to what he does with the Stones, especially the latter day Stones. Songs like Thru and Thru or Thief in the Night are not very different from his solo-work. It's also much closer to what originally inspired the Stones: blues, country, soul, rock n roll, although I do think he sort of developed a new approach to it, different from the 60's/early 70's Stones sound. In any case, it can't be that suprising that for a lot of Stones fans Keith's solo work is more accesible and loved than Mick's solo work.

You missed the point I was making, which was probably way too obscure or maybe even oblique. The songs I mentioned involve "different" things than the usual - for the Stones, and that's the part I was thinking he might pursue later (for all we know he may have and just didn't "bother" with it). The aspects of country with Sweet Virginia, probably the best Stones country song, and Far Away Eyes, he sort of did with Evening Gown and Hang On To Me Tonight but only after 2 albums did he finally venture into country music (and no where near as dirty and moving as Sweet Virginia but way better than Far Away Eyes). My guess would've been that he may of done more, overall, seeing that even that would be different from the Stones: taking it the route of Willie Nelson or Hank Williams or George Jones; maxing out the instruments. Yeah, those guys have their voices but listen to the instruments in some of their songs and you'll understand the point. I think Mick skipped over some important aspects.

Fingerprint File - the funkiness of that tune, the very spaced out parts of it, all encompass something that, based on that Stones song as well as a couple of others, seems like something Mick was interested in doing even more so and or further so with a solo record. He's done one "funky", with Sweet Thing being the one funk/funkesque solo song. I don't mean George Clinton funky or The Meters of The Neville Brothers kind of funky, just... funky for Mick. Because in that aspect alone it never worked with the Stones, it's always been a bit pedestrian (Suck On The Jugular). I dunno if Fingerprint File qualifies as a funk song but it is funky. There's probably some other term for that style I can't think of. I might be thinking more along the lines of Curtis Mayfield's Pusherman, a kind of subtle funk.

The gospel aspects of Can You Hear The Music and If You Really Want To Be My Friend, among a couple of other tunes that could've been examples but I was sticking to pre-solo era, seems like another serious interest of Mick's musical ventures. He sort of did it with Out Of Focus, which was different from the Stones, but those two Stones songs in particular are very heavy and my thought was Mick could make it even heavier.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2016 21:26

unfortunately this album permanently suffers from horrible production and Let's Work. Difficult to get past those issues...even though there are a few not bad cuts.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: January 9, 2016 23:06

Mick must have looked at the sales figures and thought swallow pride and call Keith.

So in that respect something positive came out of Primitive Cool.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 10, 2016 06:52

Moonshine
Keith must have looked at the sales figures and thought swallow pride and call Mick.

So in that respect something positive came out of Main Offender/Crosseyed Heart.

Posted by: z ()
Date: January 10, 2016 10:37

Rockman

Greil Marcus -- Real Life Rock

Let's Work is way more than just a bad song. It's truely sad. "Man and woman, be free! Let's work, Kill poverty..." WTF?! I almost managed to convince myself it was a parody.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: January 10, 2016 11:04

Rocky Dijon
Moonshine
Keith must have looked at the sales figures and thought swallow pride and call Mick.

So in that respect something positive came out of Main Offender/Crosseyed Heart.

Keith Richards is an artist without concern for commercial trivia.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 10, 2016 13:52

treaclefingers
unfortunately this album permanently suffers from horrible production and Let's Work. Difficult to get past those issues...even though there are a few not bad cuts.

Correct..well put...
I do like Party Doll though...one saving grace from the album

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: January 10, 2016 17:45

Nice period interview:
[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1863
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home