Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

R.I.P. Allen Toussaint
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 10, 2015 14:25

Just got this message from De Roma vzw. I had tickets to see him there, this thursday.
This actually hurts.

Re: R.I.P. Allen Toussaint
Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 10, 2015 14:29

God bless him, he was an amazing songwriteer/performer!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 10, 2015 14:30

Oh... I'm so sorry.
He was very influential.

On your way down, what a track...
[www.youtube.com]

New Orleans Legend Allen Toussaint Dies in Madrid at 77

Pianist, singer-songwriter, composer and producer Allen Toussaint passed away this morning, November 10, 2015 in Madrid after a live performance. Shortly after his concert at the Teatro Lara in Madrid, the iconic New Orleans artist suffered a cardiac arrest when he was back at his hotel. The medical team managed to resuscitate him, but after being transferred to the Jimenez Diaz Foundation Hospital he died.

Allen Toussaint has a tremendous influence on American music, reaching deep into the genres of rhythm and blues, pop, country, musical theater, blues and jazz. Some of the best known hits written by Toussaint include: Ernie K-Doe’s “Mother-in-Law;” “Fortune Teller,” recorded by both Benny Spellman and The Rolling Stones; the Lee Dorsey hit “Working in the Coal Mine”, also recorded by Devo and The Judds; and “Southern Nights,” recorded by Glen Campbell.

Toussaint produced such artists as Etta James, Albert King, Chocolate Milk, The Meters, LaBelle, Ramsey Lewis, John Mayall and Dr. John, and has been covered by and/or performed with the Pointer Sisters, Bonnie Raitt, The Judds, Robert Palmer, Otis Redding, The O’Jays, Boz Scaggs, Johnny Winter, Ringo Starr, Paul Simon, Chet Atkins, Lenny Kravitz and Elvis Costello, among others.

In the past decade, Toussaint achieved additional notoriety thanks to the support of Elvis Costello, with whom he recorded the album The River in Reverse (2006). Toussaint also appeared in the popular HBO series Treme.

[worldmusiccentral.org]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 10, 2015 14:33

What was notorius about recording with Elvis C ?
Great loss, tremendous talent....a musician through and through.

Re: Love and Light to Allen Toussaint
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 10, 2015 14:50

Ohhh
Love and light to him, and thanks and praises

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 15:06

Such a shame. GREAT, influential talent. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Rod

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 10, 2015 15:24

One of the greatest talents to ever come out of New Orleans. A superb songwriter/musician and pianist.

He had more talent in his little finger than many of today's chart stars.

And forgive me but I always thought the Stones acknowledged him on Dancing With Mr D when they sang about "a drop of belladonna on a Toussaint night".

He's one of his finest moments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:26 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 10, 2015 15:32

Good Bye Mr. Louisiana Love Call.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-11 02:21 by Toru A.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 10, 2015 15:41

R.I.P. ...

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 10, 2015 15:45

R.I.P. Mr Toussaint. Thanks for the great tunes you left us.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 10, 2015 16:06

jlowe
What was notorius about recording with Elvis C ?
Great loss, tremendous talent....a musician through and through.

Notorious implies something bad while notoriety implies well known ie good as well as bad and in this case it's clearly meant as a good thing.

Date: November 10, 2015 16:14

To me (and my dictionary) notoriety is typically negative,
and the journalist simply misused it. S/He meant renown.

Love & light to Mr Toussaint, and thanks & praises

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 16:37 by with sssoul.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 10, 2015 16:20

Rest in Peace Allen.
jeroen

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 16:21

The horn sections on that live Band album are utterly sublime.

RIP Mr Toussaint

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 16:25 by Roll73.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: November 10, 2015 18:19

sad news.
a big loss for New Orleans music and all music.

Date: November 10, 2015 18:33

Keith has said he hopes that tickets will have to be refunded when he dies (someday far far away!)
I hope it was a vision Allen Toussaint shared, to be gladdening people with his music right to the end

Love & light to him, and thanks & praises

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 10, 2015 18:34

What a loss to the music world and the sound of New Orleans. He's all over many of the songs that came out of New Orleans from the 1950s on. His Southern Nights album is excellent. It stayed in constant play on the hi-fi for months after I was turned on to it by a record store employee. In his memory, give it a listen. Here's the link. I'll be doing some jambalaya and gumbo tonight as I listen to it.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 10, 2015 18:36

Sad news. RIP, Allen and thanks for the music.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 10, 2015 18:39

Oh no, so sorry to hear this, hurts deeply. What an amazing musician. Just so many great tunes he worked on and added his magic touch to. I can't think of a single thing he's done that I didn't love. Dr. John speaks very highly about him in his book at some length and everybody who's anybody knew of his juju.

RIP Mr. Toussaint, you will be missed. I imagine some deep blues will be playing around the world for you today, and especially in New Orleans.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: November 10, 2015 20:44

Roll73
The horn sections on that live Band album are utterly sublime.

RIP Mr Toussaint

Agreed

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 10, 2015 21:03

RIP Naomi Neville sad smiley

[youtu.be]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 21:04 by Deltics.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 11, 2015 00:54

Keith Richards has paid tribute to Allen Toussaint, whose death was confirmed earlier today [November 10, 2015].

“ One of the best songwriters that New Orleans every produced,” said Richards in a statement released to Uncut. “Another good bye to another good friend!”

Read more at [www.uncut.co.uk]

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 11, 2015 02:43

Cast Your Fate to the Wind

RIP

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 11, 2015 07:15

All this and a dapper gentleman to boot. He always wore a suit in public. And he was so polite. At Ponderosa Stomp in 2007, he was shaking hands with fans in the restaurant area of the NOLA House of Blues and made a point of walking all the way around my group's table just to shake my hand. What a class act!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 11, 2015 10:29

ab
All this and a dapper gentleman to boot. He always wore a suit in public. And he was so polite. At Ponderosa Stomp in 2007, he was shaking hands with fans in the restaurant area of the NOLA House of Blues and made a point of walking all the way around my group's table just to shake my hand. What a class act!

Not only a suit, but he had a habit of wearing SLIPPERS on stage!!!!

Whilst I always preferred The Throb version of Toussaint's Fortune Teller (The Throb were an Aussie band - their's was much more percussive than The Stones' version)- it nevertheless was one of the very first Stones songs I ever heard.

Rod

RIP Allen Toussaint
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 21:59

Allen Toussaint, Legendary Pianist, Dies At The Age Of 77
Rescue workers were called to Toussaint's hotel early Tuesday morning and managed to revive him after he suffered a heart attack.

AP

I was lucky enough to see him play with Elvis Costello and hang out with him after the show. Just and absolute 'gentleman' in the best sense of the word. Humble and well-spoken. Caught one of his brunch shows at Joe's Pub in NYC where he was raising money for displaced NOLA musicians post-Katrina. You may not know the name, but he was an amazing songwriter, producer, arranger and performer and is in the rock-n-roll hall of fame (though there are many others in that hall who should never have gotten in...)

His song 'Fortune Teller' was recorded by BOTH the Stones and the Who..and a then a few years ago by Robert Plant and Allison Krauss.

'Workin In a Coal Mine' was a hit in the 60s for Lee Dorsey then re-done by Devo

'Southern Nights' was a hit for Glen Gampbell

'On Your Way Down' was a Little Feat staple and later recorded with Elvis Costello, Boz Scaggs and many others

Warren Zevon had a hit with 'There's a Certain Girl'

Jerry Garcia often did 'Get Out of My Life Woman' and 'I'll Take a Melody'

Robert Palmer, with Little Feat backing him, did 'Sneakin Sally Thru The Alley'
Brickyard Blues was a staple fo many bands

And the list goes on and on, all the way back to novelty stuff like 'Mother In Law'.

Lots of great music to live on.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 11, 2015 16:29

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 12, 2015 01:20

with sssoul
To me (and my dictionary) notoriety is typically negative,
and the journalist simply misused it. S/He meant renown.

Love & light to Mr Toussaint, and thanks & praises

Well, it's used in a positive stance as well. And in this case it's a positive stance. So whatever you think it is, which you've said is "typically negative", is not the case. Especially since typically or usually or most often does not mean 100% of the time. And the term, when used in this instance, means "lots of attention" in a good way.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 22, 2015 18:00

For those interested here's a clip of the late Mister Toussaint's funeral procession.

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1794
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home