Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My favourite 72 show yet ...
Posted by: Charles ()
Date: August 12, 2005 10:05

Hello Stones surfers,

I picked up "Philadelphia Special I" (I have not heard II yet) and I must say that I am surprised that the sound quality is so much more sharper than Charlotte and some of the other dates that I have on cd from this tour. I have yet to hear the notorious Akron Rubber Bowl show which is on its way to me as we speak. So far, this Philly show is my favourite. MT's guitar solos are front and center and sound like the musical equivalent of a horny cheesed out slice of pepperoni that is the meanest of which I know.

What do others think of Philly? I'm just curious. I suppose the second disc is just as good.

I can't wait to hear "19th ..." even though it may be slower and more reggae like. The sleeper seems to be "Dead Flowers". Of course, the Keith songs have got to be fun as well.

BTW, wouldn't it be cool to hear Charlie go commando on a one minute drum solo for SFTD during this tour? I'm not talking about trying to resurrect the 17-minute Hyde Park event.

Cheers from Phoenix (Arizona that is)

Charles Baudlaire
(1821-1869)
J'ai pétri de la boue
et j'en ai fait de l'or

Re: My favourite 72 show yet ...
Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: August 12, 2005 10:14

Charles we here at copsnrobbers have that particular boot although the recording is from the staple of "PIG label "Trade Mark of Quality boots we feel "Burning Down the Palladium is better if not just as good , Charles have you heard MT picking on another Record called "Jump" 73 tour ? thank you copsnrobbers

Date: August 12, 2005 10:28

Man, I would love to hear those!

Date: August 12, 2005 10:33

Jump 73 sounds awesome. I see it's mostly 9-9-73 London. Does the MSG 72 on that sound like the others (and not of the Philly caliber or Brussels Affair caliber?)

Why does it sound like there's a helicopter buzzing around on track 10 of the Philly Special I disc? I think it's because of a funky download on my part. I don't even like downloads that much. I like just the regular cd.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Charles Baudelaire qui aime que les femmes porte du rouge aux lèvres

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: August 12, 2005 10:49

Chuck - get the Aussie '73 shows !!! They rock!!!

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 12, 2005 10:50

It's not fair comparing the sound quality between Charlotte and Philly, as the first one is an aud rec and Philly Special is a soundboard.

Jump 73 is mainly a copy of one of those mytical Brussels recordings, with some songs from the "Welcome to NY" soundboard. For further info on Jump and Brussels check Chris M's fantastic [www.rollingstonesnet.com] , under the Classic Live Performances link.

And although you don't want further info about these ones, you should check it anyway...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: August 12, 2005 11:28

Brouno we here at copsnrobbers thank you for the website, no! Charles, we dont hear helecoptiers in back ground maybe it's your floxcapciter check level. We here at copsnrobbers try and hit as many records stores as possible we don't see to much stones mostly we mostly get our stones shit from the net these days internet as you eluded to last post we think that the stones recordings at The B.B.C.are yet unreleased ? another good boot is "Live at Frankfurt '76" good ear bleeding music thank you copsnrobbers

Date: August 12, 2005 15:09

<It's not fair comparing the sound quality between Charlotte and Philly, as the first one is an aud rec and Philly Special is a soundboard.>

And even so, the difference isn't that huge...

Philly is OK, but not the best 71-show IMO. Some of the "Philly show" (some of it is from Texas and Boston Gardens) is in far better quality on TMOQ's "Ladies and Gentlemen".

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: August 12, 2005 15:16

DP: Philly Special comprises tracks from Philly and Texas, but none from Boston, if I recall correctly.

Having in mind that the sound quality is near-excellent for a boot, re L&G I prefer the mixing in Philly Special: the stereo channel separation is OK, while on L&G ther's not that good. Taylor's guitar sounds somewhat distant on many songs, while on Philly every instrument is upfront and the live feeling is great on this one.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: August 12, 2005 15:21

<DP: Philly Special comprises tracks from Philly and Texas, but none from Boston, if I recall correctly.>

I mistook it for The Unreleased Decca Live Album, which in fact is nearly identical to Philly (Boston Garden is listed as one of the venues here).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home