Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
set list Phoenix disappointing
Posted by: kees ()
Date: August 12, 2005 09:25

It's good to read they sounded raw/basic during the rehearsal gig but I'm rather disappointed about the set list.
4 new songs: is the minimum if you release a new CD with 16 songs
Live with me: not interesting, played often already
Dead Flowers: good song but same comment as LWM
two covers: fine, they will likely play one each gig
She is so cold: good choice
19th: already played during the BtB(?) tour. Why not choose another oldie, they have a great catalogue to choose from.

What happened to our desired songs we sent in on request of rs.com? No Sway, Winter, she is hot, etc.

Re: set list Phoenix disappointing
Posted by: drake ()
Date: August 12, 2005 09:47

Dont worry too much. Gig #1.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 12, 2005 09:50

Geeeeeez man let 'em get into overdrive.

ROCKMAN

Date: August 12, 2005 09:53

is there any report of 'our' requested songs rehearsed?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 12, 2005 09:55

Sway, Winter and She Was Hot have not been rehearsed, according to reports.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: August 12, 2005 10:00

There's no way they could pull Sway & Winter off these days....
Perhaps in 1981...but not now and that's not because Taylor isn't with the band, it's because Keith & Ronnie can't play solid guitars together anymore....

Date: August 12, 2005 10:03

kees........eat me alright

Date: August 12, 2005 10:16

Sheryl Crow did a superb version of Sway end of 90-ties in the Paradiso/A'dam.
You think the guitarist who wrote it is not up to it anymore?

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: August 12, 2005 10:48

yes

Posted by: Iris ()
Date: August 12, 2005 10:52

Well, in fact they did rehearse Sway this time - at least if this report from Kenos Gasland ist correct:

Well, tonight was another amazing night. I swear, I've been
on a three day high. lol. as i've mentioned before, mick's
personal body guard gave me my wrist band for the concert
and michael cole gave me my ticket. I was shocked at that.
then last night was the concert which in my opinion, was
amazing. then there was tonight.

my dad and i went again just cuz and to see if i could get
another album signed. we had been waiting for about an hour
and a half and then clive, mick's personal bodyguard and
rick, the head security guy came up to us and said come
with me inside. who's to argue with him.

my dad and i were very confused at that point. as we were
walking across the compound clive explained that we were
going to get to see the stones rehearse for a little bit.
you could have knocked me over with a feather. we had to
leave everything outside, including the camera, cellphone,
album (LYL) and the pen. then we went inside with another
security guard michelle and clive. we all got in the
elevator and rode up to the 4th floor.

the 4th floor ended up being a balcony/catwalk above where
they were playing. dad and i got there in between songs, so
mick was chatting and joking around with charlie and keith
and ronnie were doing their guitar thing. there were white
boards all across the front/back wall (depends on which way
ur facing) with songs and their key written on them. two
stand out in my mind: Infamy, one of the new keith songs
and Shattered. Btw, green day was there tonight and i was
standing next to them. :O then they began to play...HARLEM
SHUFFLE!!! (i know this is good news for many stones fans.)

all i can say is wow! it was great! the atmosphere in there
was very relaxed. the boys looked like they were having a
lot of fun playing the song, btw, which was amazing!i had
to make a conscious effort to keep my mouth closed for fear
that my gum would fall out of my mouth! lol!!! when they
finished the song, mick looked up at me and smiled and
winked and ronnie just smiled! i was on cloud nine.

when i got back out, everyone was clamouring to know what
happened. they were all so jealous. then someone else said
that a few nights ago that they had had the chance to go up
and see THREE songs... Going To A Go Go, Waiting On A
Friend and... the one that everyone on this board has been
clamouring for... SWAY!!!!! there you have it guys! they
have practiced sway!

anyway, i'm still on this high. i can only hope that
another something like this will happen tomorrow night.

here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-12 11:18 by Iris.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 12, 2005 11:00

Kees, Esky et all.... wat you doing here? Just gripping about bog all!

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 12, 2005 11:15

if this all is disappointing I would say just stay away, gives me and other fans more space for the front row. Sorry, but it's really time to accept it. I heard now tumbling dice on ALL the shows I attented since 76. And I agree I am a bit tired of, but if they wanna play it they should do it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 12, 2005 11:38

There we go again. The first 14 songs played and the first people telling us how disappointed they are of the setlist. Fact is they played 6 (!!!)songs they had never played before that's almost half of the show - and they played rare gems like "She's so cold" and "Ain't too proud.." and a completely new version of "19th NB" - so gimme a break and tell me - what more can you expect of a short club gig ????

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 12, 2005 11:51

As I said, can't agree more wahwahwoody

Date: August 12, 2005 12:53

We were asked for feed back by the Stones but it seems almost nothing is done with the information. That's why I am disappointed, simple as that.
Reactions like 'if you don't like it than stay away'etc. are as stupid as the NLF reaction to Neon-con.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 12, 2005 13:04

It seems people who were actually at the show weren't all that disappointed...

As for the set list : I don't think this tour's set lists will top the Licks tour's. I do hope I'm wrong.

Also do not forget that this is only a warm up show, only 14 songs - the Boston shows will give a much better idea of this tour's set lists.

We probably shouldn't worry about the guitars now that Mick has made his coming out. I now believe that he has recorded all guitar parts on all Stones records since 1969 !

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 12, 2005 13:08

Of course there can be/gotta be/is less superb parts of the setlist.
I´m also doubtful towards 19th; but I have to mention I havent heard the new, 'rewritten' version...
That´s not either one of my fav´s.
Some warhorse may have to ride away;
but as long as they´re filled with pumping energy, I dont care that much.

I also think we gotta give the boys a break.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 12, 2005 13:16

ya cant always get what ya want,,,,im happy with the 1st club show set list,,,blues,,reggae,,country,,rock & roll,,they did it all

Date: August 12, 2005 13:19

The Otis Mr Pitiful & Get Up Stand Up by Bobby Marley/Peter Tosh may be two of the ultimate wealth-and tasty choice of covers a group like Stones can do.
I´m also enormously pleased and blast-full of hope & eager to see & hear them
...but I have to wait t-e-n month :-( !

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 12, 2005 13:35

kees is right there are so many songs they can do instead of boring cover versions and songs they have done before, the stones always drop the ball
when it comes to this

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 12, 2005 13:37

I think you might have perhaps too high expectations if you find that set list disappointing. I think it looked just fine, and like said here it was only a rehearsal gig. Warming upo the band, trying the new songs etc.

They did play four new songs, and have the nerve to start the whole thing with a new one. That shows that they do have some believe on the strength of the new songs. Great. I hope that they will make "Rough Justice" the usual opener. Great and brave way to start a concert with a brand new song! I hope that they will include some 4 new songs into each of the gigs.

Plus I really liked the choice of the covers, especially "Get Up, Stand Up". I hope it will make the standard list, like "Goint To-A Go-Go" in 1981/82 tour.

Then the news of their re-interpretion of "19th Nervous Breakdown" sounds promising. I think they should adapt a new attitude to that era songs. They are not wild bunch of young and angry rockers with the "fvck off everybody" attitude tht once made "THe Last Timne", "Get Off oF My Cloud", "Satisfaction", "19th Nrevous Breakdown" anthems of the era. They simply cannot create the energy and frustration needed for coping with the originals. The way they have re-worked "Satisfaction" to current needs is a good example (and still it seems difficult them to perform it sincerely). The version of "The Last Time" was simply horrible in No Security (not to mention "Get Off Of My Cloud" in LOve You Live). And with new attitude I don't mean that Chuck Leavell listens the originals and then learns the thing to the others, mostly to fellow side musicians. Now it sound like they are really doing a new arrangemant as a group effort.

Personally, I really don't miss hearing "Sway" or "Winter" because honestly I don't think the band has skills anymore to make any homage to this kind of songs. The example of "Can't You Hear Me KNocking" was a proof of that (and before anyone starts doing any Wood/Taylor compsrisons, let me say that Woody wasn't the weak link in the performance, it was The Twins). But of course, if those songs make the set, I hope that we get decent versions. The quality of the performance, be it "Tumblin Dice" or whatever, is the thing that most matters to me, not the choice of the numbers.

What else: Mick playing slide guitar in public! That's a news in itself!

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-12 13:43 by Doxa.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 12, 2005 14:01

kees Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's good to read they sounded raw/basic during
> the rehearsal gig but I'm rather disappointed
> about the set list.
> 4 new songs: is the minimum if you release a new
> CD with 16 songs
> Live with me: not interesting, played often
> already
> Dead Flowers: good song but same comment as LWM
> two covers: fine, they will likely play one each
> gig
> She is so cold: good choice
> 19th: already played during the BtB(?) tour. Why
> not choose another oldie, they have a great
> catalogue to choose from.
>
> What happened to our desired songs we sent in on
> request of rs.com? No Sway, Winter, she is hot,
> etc.
>

you mean the desired songs you wanted? Its not a tour show, its a rehearsal so the 'requests' hardly apply in any case.

Griping about a show you werent at and havent heard is insane - even more so, when its a warm up gig

14 song set - 6 songs that havent been released yet, 5 of them played for the 1st time, plus ONNYA which was played at the press conference. Shes So Cold played for the first time in 23 years. 19th nervous breakdown completely reinvented and performed for the first time since March 1998 (over 200 shows ago!) , and only three warhorses - and some twats still whine about it?

Get real. The Stones, or any band, arent there to be your or my personal jukebox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-08-12 14:03 by Gazza.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 12, 2005 14:49

kees Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We were asked for feed back by the Stones but it
> seems almost nothing is done with the information.
> That's why I am disappointed, simple as that.

I have the feeling they are really listening to the fans. They make a record with more blues type songs, more guitars then last couple ones and during the clubgig they had the back up musician as far away as possible judging from the reports. I read that Chuck was far away on the stage and that Lisa and Blondie were hardly seen. So my feeling that they have some reading this boards because they did change some things that are discussed here almost every day!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: August 12, 2005 14:56

Setlist could have been better but being in their 60's I will take what I can get. What surprises me is that people are pleased with She' so Cold. If they are going to the Archives for songs, this should not even be considered.

I am a total musical idiot who can barely whistle, but I could play this two cord, totally commercial/bubblegum piece of crap on a strawbroom.

For the money thier charging I want some songs that take a little bit of hard work. Please leave it off the setlist.

Posted by: olympia ()
Date: August 12, 2005 15:03

Can't agree with you Virgil.

Satisfaction ,All down the line,get off of my cloud,Happy,Midnight Rambler etc.. all three chords songs.
This is not the number of chords which makes a good song but the riff and the energy which are pumped into it!

Date: August 12, 2005 15:04

<I could play this two cord, totally commercial/bubblegum piece of crap on a strawbroom>

That's The Stones! Everybody can play it, but what to do with it is another thing?

I think She's So Cold is a cool song. They never got it right live in 81/82, but the studio recording is fantastic. Keith's guitar playing (and guitar sound) should be in a school book or something...

Posted by: salar ()
Date: August 12, 2005 15:10

Enough is enough !!!!!

Now I am realy fed up with all this negative statements.
I am not a kind of fan who loves anything the Stones do just because it`s the Stones....Critizing the band you love most is okey, but:
It realy get`s boring to hear it day by day:
They should play this...they should do that...they should perform so or the other way around.
How should the Stones please each of us ????
I mean, just have a look to the wish list:
100 songs...most of them have been voted just once or twice.
So if the Stones choose 5 new songs never played before...there are still lots of fans moaning: But why didn`t they play "sway" ?
"Because the Stones are not our personal jukebox" as GAZZA mentioned the posting before...as much we would love to see them like that.
You can`t make a square in a circle....
I will bet my left hand, that, even with 6 songs from the new album and 4 never before played live tunes you will find comments like:
How dissapointing...
Why no winter ?
Why so less warehorses this time...and so on.

we have to realize it:
40 years Rolling Stones means too much songs to choose from.
The advantage seems to turn in a disatvantage...cause whatever the band does to please the fans....it will never be enough, because the variety of songs is so awesome, that there will always be to much leftover.

Instead of enjoing that the band is still on and that they are seriously trying to please us, some of you judge the band by puting their thumbs down...again and again.

One final question:
When you saw the Stones live during SW and EJ in 89/90 who of you could even imagine that we would get a brandnew album with a massive worldtour more than 15 years later in 2005/06 ???

see you on the BIGGER BANG tour
salar

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: August 12, 2005 15:10

you must not play guitar or know basic chords for that matter....sway isn't a complicated song...actually few of their songs are complicated or much more than 3 chords that make up the basic groove....no offense,,but the boys can make plenty of noise between them

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 12, 2005 15:15

ya shes so cold on 81 tour was too up tempo,,i was hopin they would do it like the studio version,ya no nice & Slow,,but i here the other nights version was done fast also,,but ill take it,,i love the song

Date: August 12, 2005 15:36

Yeah, Virgil; nice with various opinions, but I´m afraid your quite isolated here.
She´s So Cold is one of the better songs in the Stones treasure chamber.
Maybe its not a *****-rank in music theory, but that´s not the deal here, right?
See the video (is in rs.com); and hear the original,
so crisp, alert, suggestive and full of punkish raw energy.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1385
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home