Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

We Be Jammin' -- This A Reggae Music Uh-Huh!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 12, 2005 08:34

I've got to admit I'm really excited about them doing Get Up Stand Up. Would make a great stadium sing-a-long, don't ya think? Sure, it'll be somewhat ridiculous; the world's wealthiest rock band exhorting the world's wealthiest rock fans to "stand up for their rights" but what the hell, it'll be fun. It's just entertainment, that's all. It's what the Stones have been all about since, what? '72? All pretense of "rebellion" ended at Altamont.

Re: We Be Jammin' -- This A Reggae Music Uh-Huh!
Date: August 12, 2005 19:36

ROOTS, ROCK, REGGAE!!
Do you guys even know Get Up Stand Up?
Better say yes, or Keef will be PISSED!!!
Was cool seeing Peter Tosh play it, opening for the Stones in '78.
Would be WAY cool to see the Stones do it now.
How about a cover of Jimmy Cliff's "The Harder They Come"?

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 12, 2005 19:40

I dont understand why people think a wealthy man (Mick, say) has to be politically conservative, especially on social issues. Just aint so. Never has been.

Date: August 12, 2005 19:45

john r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont understand why people think a wealthy man
> (Mick, say) has to be politically conservative,
> especially on social issues. Just aint so. Never
> has been.

It's just that no one takes a wealthy radical seriously. The best they can hope for is to become a wealthy "do-gooder", like Bono, say.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 12, 2005 19:54

I didnt say Jagger was a radical, but by example & lifestyle since they hit they've been fueling 60s counterculture, personal freedom (drugs, abortion, gay rights, etc, plus putting Howlin Wolf on Shindig, not playing S. Africa til post apartheid) - and many aristocrats have written in favor of / helped fund revolutions. The Marquis de Sade was an aristocrat. Not much of a do-gooder, but certainly a radical. Who else leads & funds radical movements, mobilizes grassroots, except those w/ the $ & leisure to do so. And Marley was hardly poor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home