Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Cover versions that outperform the original
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 29, 2015 21:51

Turner68
bob dylan's version of "Like a rolling stone" is the best version there is - that's my vote. the stones' version doesn't hold a candle to it.

true, not even close.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:07

CCR, 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine'.

Olly.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:08

Olly

really? have you listened to the original? just curious.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:11

CSN&Y - Woodstock
Bonnie Raitt - Nobody's Girl (and just about everything else she chooses to cover)
Hendrix - The Star Spangled Banner
Joe Cocker - You Can Leave Your Hat On

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:16

Like A Rolling Stone (Boby Dylan) topped by the Rolling Stones or by Jimi Hendrix or not?

No Way José....

on the other hand Ronnie Woods version of 'Seven Days' for sure topped Dylans own version...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:18

Turner68
Olly

I agree with Olly....so that makes 2 to 1 grinning smiley

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:18

Olly
way too long and oh so boring guitar solo

Date: October 29, 2015 22:21

Crow's and Dylan's respective versions of 'Mississippi': which is the original and which the cover?

Olly.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:22

Avalanche - Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds (1984).
Not a 'better' version of Cohen's masterpiece but a very different one and equally masterful.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:23

I've always preferred the Derek & The Dominos version of Little Wing to Hendrix's original, although I'm probably in a tiny minority there.

Date: October 29, 2015 22:24

Come On
Like A Rolling Stone (Boby Dylan) topped by the Rolling Stones or by Jimi Hendrix or not?

No Way José....

Have to disagree with you there Come On. The Hendrix version LARS from Monterey was so good, magical and inspired it even made Dylan change the way he played it! Just listen to the guitar fills he does in that performance, that alone makes the tune best for me, to say nothing of the rest of the tune. His phrasing, energy and dynamics are truly something to behold, imo. Can't say enough about that performance. smoking smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:29

dead.flowers

(c) Undecided

neither by the Stones (must be a joke!) nor Hendrix.
In fact: The Stones' version is bullshit while Hendrix is a nice try (but not much more)
If anybody ever outperformed Bob Dylan's original it must have been Dylan himself (just listen to the live version performed at Manchester in 1966 (on "Live 1966"/Bootleg Series Vol.4)

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:37

NICOS
Turner68
Olly

I agree with Olly....so that makes 2 to 1 grinning smiley

I like this...

Which one is the original? The Pips or Marvin Gaye? The Pips were 1st but Marvin's was the bigger hit and probably considered "the" version. Although I like CCR's version (and it's the one my band covers) I think I actually prefer The Pips version.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 29, 2015 22:39

Stoneburst
I've always preferred the Derek & The Dominos version of Little Wing to Hendrix's original, although I'm probably in a tiny minority there.

eye popping smiley

Date: October 29, 2015 22:39

Stoneburst

I'll join your minority if you let me!

Every now and then I get in an even smaller minority when I say that, at times, I prefer both Stevie Ray Vaughan & Sting's versions better than the two you mentioned.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:41

I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - 1966

Penned by Norman Whitfield and Barret Strongthe the song was given
to Smokey to cut as a demo/guide track for other artists to follow....

Glady's Knight recorded and released her take of it in
1967 with Marvin Gaye later recording his version in 1968...

The Smokey version is well worth checking out ...........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: October 29, 2015 22:42

LeonidP
Turner68
bob dylan's version of "Like a rolling stone" is the best version there is - that's my vote. the stones' version doesn't hold a candle to it.

true, not even close.

I still think that Dylan's version is better. What I meant was that Stones' version on Stripped was surprisingly good.

Date: October 29, 2015 22:43

Olly
Crow's and Dylan's respective versions of 'Mississippi': which is the original and which the cover?

Bob Dylan wrote the song and recorded several versions of it during the Time Out Of Mind Sessions (1996/97) but was somehow not satisfied with the results. Thus he gave the song to Sheryl Crow who recorded and released it right away. Bob Dylan himself rerecorded the song and released on Love & Theft in 2002.
Three (!) different versions of the song recorded in 1997 were released on Bootleg Series Vol. 8 (Tell Tale Signs) in 2008. One of these versions is a all acoustic take with only two guitars.

Btw: The version released on Love & Theft is a good example that shows why Bob Dylan is a much better singer than Sheryl Crow – while she rather screams and shouts the song (especially during the second half of it) Bob Dylan manages to put so many nuances in his voice and his phrasing that the song, it's story and it's message (if there is any) seem to change all the time (and each time you listen to it). – If been listing to that song for years but I'm never really able to tell if he sings "Things should start to get interestin' right about now" or "Things shouldn't start to get interestin' right about now

Date: October 29, 2015 22:45

I'll take Ike & Tina's version of Proud Mary to CCR.
Also I'll take some of the re-recordings of River Deep, Mountain High to the original Spector version.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 29, 2015 22:48

Naturalust
Stoneburst

eye popping smiley

In fairness, it's mainly because I bought Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs before Axis Bold As Love. I do love Jimi's version, but something about the way Eric and Bobby harmonise on the Dominos cover gets me right in the feels. Duane's soloing is beautiful too - some of the best he ever laid down, I think.

mr_dja

Every now and then I get in an even smaller minority when I say that, at times, I prefer both Stevie Ray Vaughan & Sting's versions better than the two you mentioned.

Peace,
Mr DJA

I honestly had no idea that Sting covered that song. Seriously though, a smaller minority? I thought SRV's version had a lot of fans. Do I just hang around with the wrong guitar players?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 22:50 by Stoneburst.

Date: October 29, 2015 22:49

Rockman
I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - 1966

Penned by Norman Whitfield and Barret Strongthe the song was given
to Smokey to cut as a demo/guide track for other artists to follow....

Glady's Knight recorded and released her take of it in
1967 with Marvin Gaye later recording his version in 1968...

The Smokey version is well worth checking out ...........

DAMN... I forgot about Smokey's version being the first! And, yes, Rockman's suggestion that it's well worth checking out is also correct (though I still prefer The Pips).

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 29, 2015 22:50

slewan
Olly

Bob Dylan wrote the song and recorded several versions of it during the Time Out Of Mind Sessions (1996/97) but was somehow not satisfied with the results. Thus he gave the song to Sheryl Crow who recorded and released it right away. Bob Dylan himself rerecorded the song and released on Love & Theft in 2002.
Three (!) different versions of the song recorded in 1997 were released on Bootleg Series Vol. 8 (Tell Tale Signs) in 2008. One of these versions is a all acoustic take with only two guitars.

Btw: The version released on Love & Theft is a good example that shows why Bob Dylan is a much better singer than Sheryl Crow – while she rather screams and shouts the song (especially during the second half of it) Bob Dylan manages to put so many nuances in his voice and his phrasing that the song, it's story and it's message (if there is any) seem to change all the time (and each time you listen to it). – If been listing to that song for years but I'm never really able to tell if he sings "Things should start to get interestin' right about now" or "Things shouldn't start to get interestin' right about now

It's the former... and you didn't answer my question winking smiley

Olly.

Date: October 29, 2015 22:51

Does Clapton's re-working of Layla count as a cover? Sometimes I prefer the newer over the older. In my mind they're almost not the same song.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 29, 2015 22:53

You mean his reworking of As The Years Go Passing By? drinking smiley

Date: October 29, 2015 22:54

mr_dja
Stoneburst

Peace,
Mr DJA

I don't think anything can top Hendrix's version, especially on the In The West live record, but I will say Monte Montgomery's version is one of the best acoustic versions I've heard. The guy defies the traditional definition of acoustic however.

[www.youtube.com]

So many have covered it with some real interesting results, Tuck and Patty, Jeff Beck, SRV, Sting, etc. Here is a live version of Clapton and Winwood doing it in the style of that original cover you guys like so much.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:14

Clapton's reworking of Layla with Wynton Marsalis is pretty tasty.

Date: October 29, 2015 23:20

Olly
slewan
Olly

It's the former... and you didn't answer my question winking smiley
Crow can't write a song like this…

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:22

Susan Tedeschi's versions of Bonnie Raitt's Angel from Montgomery and Dylan's Don't think twice it's Alright are both superior to the originals..

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:27

Baby, please don't go - AC/DC
Surfin' Bird - Ramones

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 23:28

brand new cadillac - clash.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home