Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: People who have never heard of the stones
Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 16, 2015 12:12

I remember a few years back they were talking about "tweeting" and "twitter" on BBC Breakfast news and I wondered what it was. It's all new at some point in time

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: October 16, 2015 13:30

exhpart
I remember a few years back they were talking about "tweeting" and "twitter" on BBC Breakfast news and I wondered what it was. It's all new at some point in time

At some point yes. But not having heard about the Stones now is like saying "wow, they've got color TV" these days. :-)

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 16, 2015 13:47

John1982
exhpart

At some point yes. But not having heard about the Stones now is like saying "wow, they've got color TV" these days. :-)

John82 . by the way John is my name and the year i got my first Stones album Rolled Gold

The Girl i went out with who was 17 at the time, had Roxy Music albums and Level 42, Goy George etc but had no idea about the Stones. She vaguely new of Mick Jagger when hard pressed, perhaps she was winding me up.This was in 83' 84'
Think its the reason we split up, she hated old music lol

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 16, 2015 15:03

That´s amazing indeed.
I always thought only deaf tumb and blind iliterates never heard of the Stones... not having Stones-records its okay, not knowing the songs is okay but how can one live a life in the western hemisphere without ever having heard anything about the Stones or Mick Jagger. It´s like saying "I´ve never heard of George Washington" or Queen Elizabeth or Frank Sinatra. Or J.R. Ewing. Or Ludvig Van Beathaven. Almost impossible and very hard to believe.

I never heard a song of Miley Cyrus but without really wanting it I know everything about her doings and not doings just by looking at the backpage of my newspaper every morning. Some celebs you can´t escape and it really makes me wonder how some people could manage it to escape the Stones for so many years, it´s quite bizarre.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: October 16, 2015 16:14

Rockman
Pakistani taxi driver who drove me ta Heathrow asked what I
was doing in UK .... Rolling Stones...Who?....Mick Jagger...Who Mick Jagger?

Must have been a Keith fan.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 16, 2015 18:18

I would imagine that many now the name, The Rolling Stones, yet, do not consciously know the music. Let's face it, they are a brand. You see their t-shirts everywhere. Do you seriously believe those adorning designs with the tongue logo all know what it represents? Didn't Levi Strauss recently have a deal with MC5? Now, that's obscure. How many causal music-fans know thud music? Personally, I don't.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 16, 2015 18:26

buttons67
i heard a story that the vice president of america in 1974 claimed he didnt know who the rolling stones were.

can anyone confirm if they have heard this too.

or is someone on the wind up.

That woukld have been Spiro Agnew. Never heard this story though.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 16, 2015 18:27

Or maybe Gerald Ford.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 16, 2015 19:05

Elmo Lewis
Or maybe Gerald Ford.

Actually, in 1974 their where two VP's.. but Spiro Agnew wasn't one of them.
He resigned in 1973.

Ford and Nelson Rockefeller both held the office in 1974 however.
My money's on Rockefeller having not heard of them...

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 16, 2015 19:47

Einstein
Henri VIII
Joan of Arc
Casanova
Etc.

Date: October 16, 2015 20:01

MisterDDDD
Elmo Lewis
Or maybe Gerald Ford.

Actually, in 1974 their where two VP's.. but Spiro Agnew wasn't one of them.
He resigned in 1973.

Ford and Nelson Rockefeller both held the office in 1974 however.
My money's on Rockefeller having not heard of them...

I stand corrected and I agree.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: shugmaglumfer ()
Date: October 17, 2015 01:30

My girlfriend and I were sitting in a bar with one of her friends who was wearing a top with the lip and tongue logo and the words "give us a kiss" on it.I said to her I didn't know she liked the Stones and pointed to the logo.She replied "Is that what THAT is?"

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: October 17, 2015 10:18

My brother lives in Madagascar ant his young wife doesn't know the Stones as most of the population there.
Do they know Bob Dylan in Mozambique ?

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: October 17, 2015 12:23

a couple of years ago I worked with a guy who was 25 years old. we were in rhe break room and he had been drawing. I commented that it was pretty good and maybe he should go to art college and said even Keith Richards went to art school. he replied that he might be impressed if he knew who that was.
he was really into video games & a friend of his who worked at the same company said that the only music he listened to was video game music.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 17, 2015 15:20

keefriffhards
John1982
exhpart

John82 . by the way John is my name and the year i got my first Stones album Rolled Gold

The Girl i went out with who was 17 at the time, had Roxy Music albums and Level 42, Goy George etc but had no idea about the Stones. She vaguely new of Mick Jagger when hard pressed, perhaps she was winding me up.This was in 83' 84'

"Goy George" ? Is he from a Philip Roth novel ?

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 17, 2015 15:58

Did my grandfather hear about the Stones? Don't know.

He was irritated with the English music broadcasted on French radio, and by the English dudes with long hair

So, hard to tell..

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 17, 2015 21:27

tomcasagranda
keefriffhards
John1982
exhpart

"Goy George" ? Is he from a Philip Roth novel ?

Oh sorry my mistake, i meant Gay George, oh i mean Boy George winking smiley. Must have been a Freudian slip lol

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 10, 2015 23:15

Jay Leno said he'd tell his parents "Sting was on the show today" and they'd say "Who?" so he ended up telling them Gary Cooper was on and they'd ooh and aah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-12 00:31 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2015 04:43

fyp933
a couple of years ago I worked with a guy who was 25 years old. we were in rhe break room and he had been drawing. I commented that it was pretty good and maybe he should go to art college and said even Keith Richards went to art school. he replied that he might be impressed if he knew who that was.
he was really into video games & a friend of his who worked at the same company said that the only music he listened to was video game music.

Video game music?

I can imagine myself being in a room with a bunch of video game nerds and being ridiculed for never having heard video game music before.

grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home