Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rod Stewart on Mick
Posted by: stoneskid ()
Date: October 5, 2015 15:06

Re: Rod Stewart on Mick
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 5, 2015 21:24

Don't recall his harmonica playing.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 6, 2015 01:41

Interesting article on Eel Pie Island. Must have been a wild venue in the 60's. Thanks for posting. I hope "Mod Rod" is not just talking Faces/Beck group reunion
to create interest and publicity for his upcoming album. This sounds like somthing Rod might do - but maybe I'm just cynical today?

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 6, 2015 02:29

^ Well he does have a history of doing this unfortunately.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2015 02:53

24FPS
Don't recall his harmonica playing.

There was a story that he played harmonica on Millie Small's 'My Boy Lollipop' which I always believed it to be true,
but just looked it up again to find some facts and he has since denied it.

Millie Small

"The record's arrangement is credited to Ernest Ranglin, who also plays guitar on the recording. The saxophone solo from the original version was replaced by a harmonica solo.It is unclear who played the harmonica – urban legend credited Rod Stewart for many years, but he has denied it. Instead, it was almost certainly either Pete Hogman or Jimmy Powell, both of The Five Dimensions. Pete Hogman and Five Dimensions guitarist Kenny White both maintain it was Pete Hogman, while Jimmy Powell asserts that it was he who played this solo.

And...

Millie Small 2

"Contrary to legend, the harmonica player was not Rod Stewart but Pete Hogman of The Pete Hogman Blues Band and Hoggie & The Sharpetones. Hogman told us: "The backing for 'My Boy Lollypop' was recorded live in the studio. I played harmonica and Ernest Ranglin played a black Gibson. Several people have claimed to have played the harmonica break but I can promise you it was me, and it was all recorded in London. By the way, Rod Stewart has never claimed to have played that solo, in fact he has said it was me in the Bob Marley life story Catch A Fire."'

Posted by: ChicagoCalling ()
Date: October 8, 2015 02:54

Pete Hogman is definitely the man behind 'MBL'.

Regarding Long John's discovery of Rod . . . they had crossed paths before the Twickenham platform story. That may well have been the moment when John suggested Rod join the group but Rod had been kicking around the edges of the Davies All Stars for months.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: October 8, 2015 14:40

Rod Stewart has led a charmed life. And has had some of the best "arm dressing" any man in any era could only hope for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home